Inner ankle and achillies pain (Read 80 times)

TakeItEasy

Hello, I am in my 3rd week of a c25k program. This is the second time starting it after I had unbearable shin splints and knee pain and I found out it was from heel striking. I decided to start the program again with midfoot/forefoot strike. I was very happy to find how much easier and pain free it was. Until now... I just started getting ankle pain on the inside part of the ankle along with Achilles pain. It now hurts when going down stairs and walking. I was sedentary before this and I am 6'3 260 lbs. I am stretching and foam rolling and I was also fitted for proper footwear using a gate analysis to correct the over pronation. I am not pushing hard at all. Does anyone have an idea what this is and how to stop this from happening? I am actually starting to like jogging but it seems I keep getting injured even after taking all preventative measures. I have a picture of where the pain is outlined in ink. This is the inside of my right foot. The pain is where the ink lines are drawn and all in between the parallel lines.

http://i44.tinypic.com/dqgnde.jpg

Thank you for any help.

TakeItEasy

Awesome! Thanks for the help you guys rock!!!.....

J-L-C

Awesome! Thanks for the help you guys rock!!!.....

Maybe no one knows what you're going on about. Responses like that won't help.

Anyway, I think I DO know what you're talking about as I've had all sorts of ankle/foot issues and what you drew looks similar to something I've had before.

One visit to an orthopedist for some electric acupuncture sorted me out, but to keep it from ever coming back has been a bit more labor intensive. The problem is most likely further up your calf. If you sit down and cross your afflicted ankle over your knee, run your thumps up along your shin bone. Dig in every half inch or so and you'll likely find some crazy-sore spots. Dig on those until you cry. Do that multiple times a day.

Also, move further back along the calf (towards the back), dig your thumbs into random places as hard as you can and while holding your thumbs in start pointing and rolling your foot in circles. You ought to find some heinously sore spots doing that. Target all those sore sports, working up and down your calf.

Lastly, get a baseball or cricket ball or rolling pin or something very hard and roll out your calf on that. Foam roller is too big and soft for the calf, but something that you can put your weight on to (put your other leg on top of your afflicted leg for more pressure) should help a bit. Do this as many times a day as you can stand.

Will probably make you crazy sore and hurt a lot initially, but better a pain that you're in control of than a pain you're not, right?

Hopefully that'll sort you out, and if it doesn't, go to a doctor!

J-L-C

Oh, and as many strengthening exercises as you can manage. Walk on your toes, then on your heels. Stand up on your tip toes for 10-20 seconds multiple times. Do so with feet parallel, then staggered. Eccentric heel drops can be good. One leg balancing with your eyes closed can be good (you should feel all sorts of little stabilizer muscles working when you do that). Maybe try some more minimalist shoes or some barefoot stuff on grass from time to time, too. youtube can give you tons of ideas.