Running is the best knid of drug. (Read 1177 times)

So I have been thinking and obviously running is a great activity, but when I took a step back and looked at it, I was blown away with how much it was like a drug. • The reason I got into running was largely influenced by others. • One day you will do LSD (Long Slow Distance) and the next Speed. • Whether you are thinking about that days workout or past races, it’s all you can talk or think about. • It is the best high when you are running. Which is why you keep coming back. • I did it everyday after school with my friends. • The people I do it with are the same people I get in trouble with. (During High School in particular) • It is so addictive that no matter how much pain you put yourself through and even when you know that you have to do mile repeats that day, you still go because you know how good it feels when those endorphins are flowing. • Every time I swear off it, I’m right back doing it again.gg Hello, my name is Mike, and I have a running problem.
    Run World, Run.

Cryptic

lol good stuff. They say nobody likes a quiter
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hello, my name is Mike, and I have a running problem.
        Big grin "Hi, Mike." Big grin You forgot: * The more you do it the more you want to. * You end up devoting more and more time and energy to it as you go along. * It's easy to make it such the center of your life that you neglect those around you. (Careful with this one!) It's got a few things that drugs don't though... * The costs don't keep going up. * Generally speaking, you end up in better health than before. * You can do this until you're 90+ * It solves more problems than it creates.

Roads were made for journeys...

Well said
          Run World, Run.
          vicentefrijole

Big grin "Hi Mike" Big grin So at this meeting, instead of coffee do we get gatorade? Big grin Confession: I get so cranky/depressed when I haven't had my running "fix" that my wife dreads the time I take off from running after a big race. In all seriousness, the advantage of running (over other addictions) is that it tends to balance out our lives (at least for me) instead of making them more chaotic. Big grin
              *You forgot,both may lead to an increase in appetite A few other differences... *You can tell both your parents & your child you're doing it. *You don't have conceal your activity with Visine & a breath mint. *I never had to roll down the car windows to get rid of the smell although I have had some pretty stinky shoes.

Now that was a bath...

You're darn right you know. I have a very addictive personality. After a dalliance with drugs then alcohol - I moved on to pregnancy (four kids) - now to the relief of my poor husband I am a runaholic. Take today - I am having a rest day but every ounce of me wants to run...and run...and run. Totaly addictive. Maybe it's the endorphins! Claire xxx
              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Take today - I am having a rest day but every ounce of me wants to run...and run...and run.
                  I think that's pretty normal for runners! Big grin

It's got a few things that drugs don't though... * The costs don't keep going up. * Generally speaking, you end up in better health than before. * You can do this until you're 90+ * It solves more problems than it creates.
                    The costs seem to keep going up for me - the more I run, the more gu and 'ade I consome, and the more often I need running shoes. (If you hit the mile mark before the age mark....). I seem to have far more injuries now than I did before I started running. Are we sure it is solving problems?
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Evil grin Maybe you should just quit then... Evil grin Wink Tongue

Evil grin Maybe you should just quit then... Evil grin Wink Tongue
                        I dont think I can. I skip a day and think I wont do it again, but I always end up going back for more. Evil grin
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Mike - How's it going? Just checkin' on ya...

xhristopher

So I have been thinking and obviously running is a great activity, but when I took a step back and looked at it, I was blown away with how much it was like a drug. • The reason I got into running was largely influenced by others. • One day you will do LSD (Long Slow Distance) and the next Speed. • Whether you are thinking about that days workout or past races, it’s all you can talk or think about. • It is the best high when you are running. Which is why you keep coming back. • I did it everyday after school with my friends. • The people I do it with are the same people I get in trouble with. (During High School in particular) • It is so addictive that no matter how much pain you put yourself through and even when you know that you have to do mile repeats that day, you still go because you know how good it feels when those endorphins are flowing. • Every time I swear off it, I’m right back doing it again.gg Hello, my name is Mike, and I have a running problem.

Dude, I can't believe you OD'ed at just 21.6 miles.

xjustrun155x

Live Fast, Die Young

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You're darn right you know. I have a very addictive personality. After a dalliance with drugs then alcohol - I moved on to pregnancy (four kids) - now to the relief of my poor husband I am a runaholic. Take today - I am having a rest day but every ounce of me wants to run...and run...and run. Totaly addictive. Maybe it's the endorphins! Claire xxx

Kooky's back!

I'm not addicted to pregnancy, fortunately.

Well at least in 2006 she was back.

Runners run