What's your take on the Marine Marathoner at Boston? (Read 277 times)

an amazing likeness

Interview required but won’t happen since the truth probably is that he chose to crawl and wasn’t injured or anything requiring a dramatic finish.

Interviewed on national TV 14 hours before your post, including on course video.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I don’t really have an opinion on it, but I’m just glad it caused darkwave to post her link! Scrolling through those pics is epic. Haha! Sorry, dwave.

No prob - I thought it was hilarious also - especially the early photos where they catch me mid-face plant.  That's why I kept them.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No prob - I thought it was hilarious also - especially the early photos where they catch me mid-face plant.  That's why I kept them.

It's your plaque that''s epic.  I typically don't have any interest in buying race photos, but that is totally worth the money!

rlopez

Interviewed on national TV 14 hours before your post, including on course video.

Shahzbaht

(evidence here). 

Out of curiosity, what is with the woman photoshopped into the pack of runners on your plaque?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Out of curiosity, what is with the woman photoshopped into the pack of runners on your plaque?

I'm guessing that was just to make sure the pack wasn't exclusively men.  But yes, it looks odd.

That woman is actually a friend of mine, so I asked her if she knew anything about it.  Nope.

Also interesting to note that the pack of men in that photo are racing the Army 10 Miler, not Cherry Blossom (the race that the plaque was for).  So multiple levels of fail.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Saw that after I posted. Looks like he wanted to get into New York which is something like a 2:50 marathon. Going 3:30+ on training for a sub 2:55 seems like he had a bad day and walked it in. Crawling earned him a spot into his goal race. The rest of us will have to meet the qualifying standards. Guess I have more motivation for mine now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

New York lets a whole bunch of famous people and then promotes them running.  It's a much less regulated thing than the race up north.  Usually a long list of olympic athletes, actors, models, Rangers Goalies, rescued Chilean Miners, etc...

Just go viral and you get in no sweat.  And there is also the lottery.  Eh, going viral is probably the easier way in.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

xhristopher

I watched. He doesn't bother me a bit. He wasn't looking for attention when he went viral. Once he did he took the opportunity to talk about issues that are meaningful to him.

What bothers me are those tights he wore? What was he thinking? Any time you can stand around in the village in a singlet and shorts comfortably it's gonna get ugly.

Saw that after I posted. Looks like he wanted to get into New York which is something like a 2:50 marathon. Going 3:30+ on training for a sub 2:55 seems like he had a bad day and walked it in. Crawling earned him a spot into his goal race. The rest of us will have to meet the qualifying standards. Guess I have more motivation for mine now.

It seems like it must be real work to be this cynical. If you try to take things at face value and avoid ascribing intent you'll be happier.

Runners run

Altair5

Runs in the rain

If I saw this happen at the end of a marathon I would think "This person was foolish not to train enough for the pace or distance they attempted" I would also question if they really needed to crawl, could they not at least hobble the few more feet or were they being a bit dramatic. That said, if this Marine actually went way past his real abilities and comfort zone to honor his fallen comrades he certainly deserves respect regardless, plus his finish time is way faster than anything I've ever done. So does he deserve the pass into the NYC marathon? Well, I'm sure there were others who failed to qualify who were more deserving, but not my call, and a difficult decision to make.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

jfa

That said, if this Marine actually went way past his real abilities and comfort zone to honor his fallen comrades he certainly deserves respect

Exactly. Case closed. I don't know why it should be questioned. WTF is wrong with that?

I do agree with X regarding the long pants however. What was he thinking? He probably would have finished upright had he been wearing shorts.

MTA- then again, if he was wearing shorts, and had to crawl to the finish, that would be worse. Perhaps he knew, either consciously or subliminally, that crawling may become a possibility. In that case, he was a well prepared Marine.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I don’t really have an opinion on it, but I’m just glad it caused darkwave to post her link! Scrolling through those pics is epic. Haha! Sorry, dwave.

+1

So much more entertaining as she’s a real runner who doesn’t mind having a joke about herself. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

bhearn

Would you really crawl to the finish? .

If I had to. Who cares?

If I had to. Who cares?

Good Morning America cares.

Dave