2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Cyberic

dpschumacher : Hopefully we won't need to get used to the situation too much, and things can get back to normal.

cinammon : Smart decision on Monday. Better to come back home in one piece and be ready for the next day's run/workout.

CalBears : That's crazy mileage  . Almost 20 hours of running. Congrats!

JMac11 : I think our governments (Canada and Quebec) took the virus seriously early enough that we might be able to get by without extreme measures. Right now they are actually encouraging us to go out and get exercise, so I'm good. Hopefully everything turns out for the best for you in NYC and others in heavily affected areas.

Time trial, congrats on pushing on like that!

Fishyone

JMac- Really impressive to get a PR like that without any of the raceday excitement/competition/adrenaline etc.  I find it hard enough to get motivated for fast workouts let a alone HM PR alone........

CAL- At first glance I thought you were copying your RWOL training streak of 13.1 miles x 7 then I saw the PM runs!!!   There was a little banter about him earlier in the thread but it almost looks like the weeks Nils used to recommend everyone run on recover weeks.

My Week- I took a recovery week both mentally and physically.  No workouts and a cutback in miles.  I'm still keeping a sliver of hope that there may be some late spring races...... The virus has eliminated the need for run-commuting so doubles may not be in the cards for me.

total pace  
      Mon 11.25 8:48 GA 11 
      Tue 11.5 8:46 Recovery
      Wed 15 8:28 Mid Long
      Thu 9 8:55 Recovery
      Fri 7.5 8:37 GA 7.5
      Sat 20.5 8:54 long run
      Sun 8.25 8:59 Recovery

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

JMac - Congrats, that’s a unique way to go out on a high!  I hope you still stick around here and be an armchair coach.    I’m starting to agree with you re the virus - anyone who thinks their country will escape extreme measures is deluded!

Cal - You now need to step up to the plate and race a 50k TT. We don’t want all that jogging to go to waste. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMac - Congratulations now you can ride off into the sunset.

Marky Nice job and congratulations on the championship.  Not about the miles always but the quality.

Cinnamon Nice week and thank you for the service you're doing for your community.

68 mile week for me. Decided to cut back do more basics.

Be safe.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Running Problem

Problem Child

43.4 miles. 13.1 mile long run. Typically I'd be entering training for a July ultra marathon. I'm unmotivated and don't even want to go do my daily runs. No point since every single city is just focusing on how everything needs to be shut down, and everything is also "essential" so my running has been deemed non-essential.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

it almost looks like the weeks Nils used to recommend everyone run on recover weeks.

Not even close... Main thing I remember about NIls are his ideas he would talk about I think with no intention to actually try them himself. One of the Nils's "plans" (yeah, I think he had plenty of "plans" Smile  was running like 10 miles 3 times a day. Not to mentioned it's a hard thing to do but he also never took into account the pace variable - he always ran his runs way too fast and half of the time was injured because of that - plus he actually never even tried his "plan" - I think his training was totally unstructured and probably based on an emotional state he was at some particular moment. Just like many people in this world he wanted to have results quickly and never thought it would take that long to  get where he wanted to be. That's why his engagement with the forum was very short - but yes, pretty bright and memorable Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Cal - You now need to step up to the plate and race a 50k TT. We don’t want all that jogging to go to waste. 👍

Definitely not doing trials - and at the moment I do not have any fitness I could lose like JMac - it will take me many consistent months to get anywhere close to his level (do not mean absolute numbers)

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Fishyone

One of the Nils's "plans" (yeah, I think he had plenty of "plans" Smile  was running like 10 miles 3 times a day. 

LOL  That's the one I was talking about!!  three 10 mile runs a day!!  200 mile weeks were the path to immortality in the running world.  Thanks for brightening my mood with that memory.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Covid is spreading like a gasoline-stoked forest fire in NYC now. (Health Dept asked centers to stop all outpatient testing last Friday).

Most people aren't super sick though... But YMMV.

Nice 10K Marky!

Nice 1/2M Jmac!

Hey to all y'all.

I ran a 1-mile time trial at the track today. I’ve never raced a mile, and I virtually never hit mile pace in workouts. So it’s somewhat uncharted waters, other than trying it once 2 years ago. That time I ran it in 6:00. I figured I should be able to cut some time off that, maybe even down to 5:50. I ended up running a 5:45, which I was extremely happy with. Quarter splits of 1:26, 1:25, 1:27, 1:26; also happy with that level of consistency, especially considering how foreign that pace is to me. I might try it again, but more likely instead move on to a 5k time trial. I think there’s a good chance to PR (even if it doesn’t count).

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Covid is spreading like a gasoline-stoked forest fire in NYC now. (Health Dept asked centers to stop all outpatient testing last Friday).

Most people aren't super sick though... But YMMV.

Nice 10K Marky!

Nice 1/2M Jmac!

Hey to all y'all.

Thankfully I'm avoiding New York City at all costs. I'd rather be tapering for Boston around this time next year. I need to get ready to walk around with my ugly jacket to show everyone "I'm new here" and continue to "annoying things runners do" hash tag on the social medias.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thankfully I'm avoiding New York City at all costs. I'd rather be tapering for Boston around this time next year. I need to get ready to walk around with my ugly jacket to show everyone "I'm new here" and continue to "annoying things runners do" hash tag on the social medias.

I would be very surprised if Boston or any of the Majors take place this year and deferrals will take priority in 2021. Maybe you’ll need to run a sub 3 all over again to get into 2022.  

In the UK we can only go out in groups of 2 now with London being the worst affected area. So the idea of a mass marathon in a few months time is unthinkable without a vaccine for the virus. The government is saying that saving lives is their top priority...so I’m assuming that means a ban on ALL races for the foreseeable future.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flyrunnr

One of the Nils's "plans" (yeah, I think he had plenty of "plans" Smile  was running like 10 miles 3 times a day. Not to mentioned it's a hard thing to do but he also never took into account the pace variable - he always ran his runs way too fast and half of the time was injured because of that - plus he actually never even tried his "plan"

Nils was entertaining and annoying. He did do a lot a hard 10+ milers (connected with him on Garmin Connect), and as you mentioned, he never really mastered or possibly understood the recovery aspects of easy running, his general aerobic easy paces were often 6:30-7:45, and I believe 6:30 was faster than his marathon pace. He had a "go hard or go home" mentality to training and advocated 100 mile weeks and higher, but he seemed to think it was sustainable throughout an entire cycle. And he was a huge fan of Pre and quoted him often. Smile

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would be very surprised if Boston or any of the Majors take place this year and deferrals will take priority in 2021. Maybe you’ll need to run a sub 3 all over again to get into 2022.  

In the UK we can only go out in groups of 2 now with London being the worst affected area. So the idea of a mass marathon in a few months time is unthinkable without a vaccine for the virus. The government is saying that saving lives is their top priority...so I’m assuming that means a ban on ALL races for the foreseeable future.

I'll just get over it and move on to something harder. Marathons don't present the challenge they did when I set out to run one.

I don't trust the government. Mostly because I work for one.

Groups of two. Impressive. In America some people would refer to a gathering of two individuals a "pair" and I'd be curious to know if "immediate family members" were exempt from the limit so a father could enter public with his child and wife, or Grandparents could take their grandchild(ren) somewhere.

VDOT 53.37 

weatherboy80

Rovatti: God bless and keep up the great work on the front lines as it sounds like NYC is the epicenter of this thing right now.  Praying that most folks have relatively minor symptoms though.  Have to wonder if the reports of younger folks being in the ICU are due to vaping or smoking, similar to what may be going on in Italy?

Cinnamon: Great work!

JMac: Congrats on the 1/2 PR!  Yes in this time any time trial will count as a PR.  Running a HM like that had to a big mental game as well.  Well done.

Cal: crazy strong mileage!

Mikkey: Congrats!

Nimmals: think most of us are going back to basics right now.  Good job on the volume!

Dave: Nice mile TT!

Sounds like others are running various time trials as well!  I did the same on Saturday where I officially ran about a 16:15'ish 5K (strava gave me 16:07, but I ran just a bit extra to ensure a proper length).  Knew I was in pretty good shape to PR in the 5K as it had been nearly a year where I really went after one.  Surprised myself going out in 5:08 for the first mile and felt really good about that start.  Hit a bit of a mental block in mile 2 running somewhere around a 5:15 split and struggled to hold pace till about mile 2.4, but then found another gear for the last 1200 meters or so slightly increasing the pace down to 5:12 for mile 3 and then going under 5 pace for the last 0.2 miles for the final kick.  Was also around 70 degrees so nowhere near ideal and wonder if I might be in close enough shape to chase after a sub 16 at some point.  Probably would take a good few workouts of specific training, but with the heat returning year that will likely have to wait until next year?  All of my other races are cancelled through June so not sure what I go after next, but thrilled to cap off the season with a fast time trial irregardless.

Everyone else hang in there!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)