Longest run to date: 10.48mi in 2:33:13 @14:38 pace (Read 692 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I ran 10.48 mi in 2:33:13 @14:38 pace, stared in the dark with temp at 66 humid deg. Went as planned. Started slow to warm up the calves, which as usual started tight for the first 2 mi, then loosened up, at least until after 8 mi, then the left knee and calf both objected. I forced myself to slow my running pace, which had naturally picked up to sub 12. So I shot for mid 12's. Ran 1:30 vs 1 min walking almost through out. Had a few longer running intervals as well as shorter ones.

The run went well and as planned. I got up early, and was out of the house for the run in the dark at 6:30am. Lessons learned: 1- my Saucony ProGrid Guides are not good for long runs. My left foot started to hurt much more than usual, actually a lot, after 8 mi. 2- I could have used another gu, maybe. For nutrition I had a gu and water as I dressed. Then had more water to rehydrate before the run. I had frozen a half bottle of G2, and filled it up with the other half and left that on the mailbox. I had a 16 oz Tiger Gatorade in my bottle belt and felt I could nurse that for a 7+mi circuit back to the house, and it worked out well. I drank a little about every 2+ mi and with gu and finished it about 1/2 mi from the house. Left two empty gu's, and my cap light in the mailbox, and picked up the G2 bottle.

I started without any real warm up other than a short walk with Zoe and some stretching. The calves were a bit tight for the first mi or two, and I did the running intervals in the 13's. After warming up I found myself running in the low 12's with the same effort as before so I kept that pace. After running up the big hill at mi 4.5 to 6 I saw that I was easily doing the running intervals in the mid 11's and kept that up until my left knee complained, then backed it down to the high 12's. I felt good at the finish, and good about the run. I felt fully recovered in about an hour which I attribute to Galloway's walk/run approach.

I should also mention that I ran in my new Mizuno Alchemy's on Fri and noticed that the toe numbness started later than with my other shoes. Will try them on a long run after I break them in some more. Want 15-20 mi on them before trying that. In the meantime the Asics will have to do.

I'm training for an HM on 11/8 with a target finish of 3hrs. Should be able to run that long by adding 15 min to the long run each week for the next few, then stay at that level until before the race. With a light week on 10/18 to run a 5k race.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

babs71

Congratulations on your long run.  I  hope you feet issues continues to improve.

an amazing likeness

Good stuff Bob, enjoy the great feeling of accomplishment you've earned.

(You might want to try and simplify things for your next long run, maybe just some water every 3 or 4 miles, you've got a lot of moving parts in there.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Totally awesome, Bob. Congrats!

TRUST THE PROCESS

you've got a lot of moving parts in there.

Heh, I noticed the same thing, but then I saw that he is an aerospace engineer, so I cut him some slack. 

Nice job, Bob.  Keep us posted on how it's coming along. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks Guys!

I had to stay very hydrated during North Texas summer runs - am post heart attack and cardiologist read me the riot act about getting de-hydrated. As the weather cools its time to learn how to run without drinking so I can do the half w/o carrying a bottle. I was able to run the 15k on labor day on a very warm morning w/o carrying a bottle by being sure to drink enough at the water stops which were about 2+ mi apart. Am not sure I could go 4 mi w/o having a drink, for me that's 45-60 min of running. Might be able to in cooler weather tho - which I hope will allow me to speed up a littel bit as well.

Again thanks for the encouragement!

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.