Pike's Peek 10K Race Report (Read 453 times)

I woke up at 5:40a. (blech). I ate my pre race breakfast (oatmeal and honey), got dressed, and headed to Silver Spring. I got to my parent's house a little before 7:00a., chatted with my mom, helped her pin her number on and tied her chip to her shoe. James mom came at 7:00a. and we were off to Rockville. We got to the course at 7:30ish and waited in line at the Port-o-Potties for a while... around 7:55 we walked to the starting line ... I hugged and kissed my mom and mother in law good luck (they were starting closer to the back), and got in position. I had my goal splits written on my arm (to ensure a 49:20 finish), and I hit the first mile marker about 30 seconds ahead of the first goal split. I hate the first mile of a race -- taking time to find my stride, get breathing in check, etc. Each mile came and I checked my watch against my split --- I was getting progressivly faster against my goal splits. At the 5K mark I threw my hands up in the air and yelled, Halfway, Woohoo! I dumped water on my head a couple of times -- it was about 60-65 degrees - and drank half a cup of water. At mile 5 I realized I was not only going to break 50 minutes, but I was going ot break 49 minutes and possibly 48 also. I really picked up at the last mile and came in at 47:29 ! I then got in line for a post race massage ... ahh, that was nice, although, apparently, I "need someone to work on my glutes." I got some food -- bbq pork sandwhich, bagel, donut, chili - and went to wait near the finish for my mom and mother-in-law. They came in around 1:30:something (they mostly power walked with a little bit of runnnig ). We took the Metro back to the start (it's a point-to-point course), and headed home. I placed 11 out of 79 in my age group (20-24) -- the winner of my age group ran a 33:16
    2009: BQ?
      AWESOME RACE!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

Great job! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Jeffrey

Nice time! Congrats! Smile
            I had been looking for the report after I saw that you had run a 10K on your log but just now saw it. Great job on the race. Have you signed up for Richmond yet or are you going to wait a while? I think the fee goes up 06-30-07.
            http://distance-runner.blogspot.com