Glacial Trail 50 (k) RR (Read 1038 times)

Glacial Trail 50k October 14, 2007 Greenbush, Wisconsin Photos are here--------> http://picasaweb.google.com/landyann/GlacialTrail50k2007 Okay - Take a deep breath, here we go...... Shocked As I went to the car for my final drop-off of gear before the run began, a lite drizzle settled from the mist. Going back inside where runners greeted each other to friendly hellos and “long time no sees”, I snagged my drop bag from the pile and pulled my vest out of it. I would remove the vest not too far into the run, but it went back on again once the rain really began. I was ready. I had traveled 2000 and some miles, got a little lost in the dark the night before trying to find the small town, all of this to complete my 5th state, and my 2nd 50k. My backpack was filled with water. I had Gu galore, salt tablets, and a few other secret weapons. My new camera was ready to go. I would end up taking over 75 photos throughout the day, trying to capture the feel, the sights, the magic of the day. I was ready to have fun and enjoy a long day on the trail. I expected to finish in about 9 and ½ hours. Not a very experienced trail runner, this was only my 3rd long trail run. My first had been the Timberline Marathon on Mt. Hood, only a year before. Since then I had done 2 road marathons and the Tahoe Rim Trail 50k. I had learned a lot in the past year, and I knew that I had to continue to consume gels the entire race. I also planned to take salt, although not as much as my long training runs demanded in the heat and hills where I live. By the end of the race I had consumed all my gels (too many to mention), had several cups of Mt. Dew at the aid stations, some sausage chunks, and a warm cup of chicken noodle soup. A small group of about 100 started in the dim morning mist. A short road section, past nice farmhouses and the state park, and then into the forest we went. Some areas were pretty heavily treed and dark, making it tough to see the footing. Other areas through open meadows were grassy. But most of the trail was rolling single track, with rounded boulders, and covered by recently fallen colorful leaves. This variety went on for the entire 15.5 miles out to the turn around. There were some local views of trees, meadows, and an occasional farm or house. The aid stations were well stocked with all the regular stuff. The volunteers weathered the misty cold to wait on us. They were very helpful, even the young kids at the 2nd/4th aid station on the way back. On the way out I chatted with several of the other slow runners, and got some interesting insight from and extremely experienced ultrarunner , him saying how cut-off times are getting more difficult to meet as the runners age (gracefully, I might add). I got to see Runs A Lot, and it was great to see the few people I had talked to as we approached the turnaround coming back towards me. My energy level stayed high until about mile 11. I would run every flat and downhill, and on the way out, the shorter and less steep uphills. Just before the turn around the drizzle started pretty good, and it slowly turned to rain. Although I put my vest back on at mile 17, I wasn’t expecting to get very wet, thinking that the canopy of trees would stop the rainfall. Not the case. I even took some short video during a particularly strong downpour. I guess I should be thankful no hail or lightning was around, huh?! So, I trudged on, slowly running, extra careful with even more slippery wet leaves. When I realized I would be able to finish before 9 hours, I got a little more inspired to keep running the flats. But every now and then I would catch myself on auto-shuffle, and then say to myself “ you know how *issed you’ll be if you walk the flats and end up finishing at 9:02 or 9:03?” That’s what kept me moving at the end. Finally on the town roads again with about ½ mile to go, and the lead woman runner in the 50 MILE passes me, with her mom there cheering her on. A runner from Illinois that I had talked to earlier came from behind, all jazzed about finishing his 1st 50k, and I ran with him a bit and then let him go ahead. After finishing at the extremely low-key end (3 people working out of a van due to the rain), I went to my car to get my change of clothes, changed, and cleaned up a bit, propped my legs up, drank my chocolate milk, and called my family to tell them my time. As soon as I finished the call I got in my car, blasted the heater, and drove towards Stevens Point and my Dad’s house. I had a great time. I was there to enjoy the scenery and the colors, run conservatively, and finish. I took the time to take pictures, look at the views, talk to people; I had FUN! Strategies that seemed to work in this run: Lots and lots and lots of gel Not much else to eat besides water and salt tabs New camera was small and takes good enough photos. The movie option is cool, and next time I’ll plan on doing a narration of the whole run, in short pieces. Race review: Race Organization and Support: 5/5 (well-marked trail, and attentive volunteers) Course Difficulty: 2/5 (gently rolling) Scenery: 3/5 ( a few local views, otherwise nice forests different from mine, and full of color) Trail surface/condition: 3/5 (low only because of the leaves) Would I do it again? If I lived close to it, yes. What's next? A month of recovery runs, and searching for a trail marathon to run with my husband (it will be his first long trail run, having just finished his first road marathon at Lake Tahoe).
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Very cool! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the photos! Congratulations on your finish! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Congratulations. Great race report & loved the pictures.
          Great report and great run, Landy! Loved the pictures. I'm just now starting to run on trails and hope to run one as beautiful as that one some day! Thanks for sharing your story!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wingz & Peke - Thanks! Bonkin - I hope you love the trails as much as I do. I'll never do a long road run again unless I can't find a good trail marathon or 50k in that state. It's so totally different. I find the trails much more physical than mental to complete. Tougher running, but easier recovery. Enjoy them!
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado