10 Days to HM- Anyway to get out of the hole I'm in? (Read 220 times)

Chris T

I made a late decision to enter a half-marathon about 6-7 weeks ago. I haven't run one since February 2010. I put together a progressive plan which included two quality workouts and a long run (for me) per week with two days of easy running and two days off. (I'm 55 and have learned that I need those recovery days.)

Everything was going splendidly with the plan until last week's Saturday LR, scheduled for 11 miles. It started poorly as I just felt stale and it continued to deteriorate from there. By mile 7 I had cramps in my right hip, both quads, both calves, and my left foot. I ended up cutting it short and walking home the last two miles.

On Sunday I ran 5 easy miles but still felt more of a struggle than it should have. Monday called for a 2 mile warm-up and then 2 X 1200 @ 5k pace and a mile cool down. The warm up was a death march. I ended the work out there, afraid I was maybe edging into that dreaded over-trained dimension.

Tuesday was an off day and today was a scheduled 6 easy. I cut the plan to 5 miles, and although a bit better it was still not pleasant and my legs still feel a bit stale.

Here is my schedule the rest of the way-

Thursday-  4 X 1.5 mi over rolling hills @ 10k pace with 4 minute recoveries. 1 mi wu & cd

Friday-  off

Saturday-  9 miles easy

Sunday-  5 miles easy

Monday-  2 X 1 mi @ 10k pace with 2 minute rec.  1 mi wu & cd

Tuesday-  off

Wednesday-  6 miles easy

Thursday-  5 miles easy

Friday-  4 miles easy

Saturday- off

Sunday-  Race

My question is this: What adjustments should I make to get some zip back into by body? Replace tomorrows quality work with easy running? Shorten the amount? Same with Monday's scheduled work or wait to see if I gain some improvement?

I'd really appreciate some ideas, I'm so close to the race.

Not dead. Yet.

Any chance you are psyching yourself out?  Or maybe you are over-training.  If the later is the case, maybe you should take a few extra days off, eat a lot of carbs and then start back in a little slower.  For the former, I would say try to get yourself through a few easier workouts where you are feeling really good to build up your confidence.

I hear that you can't improve your fitness much in the two weeks before a race anyway.  So take it a little easier and try to get your mind and body healthy for the race.  Less pressure = more fun.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Take it easy, the work is already done.

**Ask me about streaking**

Feeling the growl again

Stop digging.  Wink

And yes, that was serious advice.  Just recover and race well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris T

sdizazzo- could be mental. (wouldn't be the first time) Smile

Jamezilla & spaniel-  Understood. To be certain though- scrap both of the two remaining quality workouts and just finish out with easy miles?

Thanks for the responses.

How's this?

Thursday-  3 miles easy (no faster than 10-minute pace)

Friday-  3 miles easy

Saturday-  3 miles easy

Sunday-  off

Monday-  6 miles easy (again, no faster than 10-minute pace)

Tuesday-  1 miles w-up + 1 mile tempo at 10k pace + 1 miles c-dwn

Wednesday-  3 miles easy

Thursday-  2 miles easy

Friday-  off

Saturday- 2 miles easy with 3 X 50m strides

Sunday-  Race

I'm absolutely appalled to see so many people training way above their heads, thinking "Oh, I'm handing it nice and easy..." and turned out they are digging deeper and deeper; particularly trying to stick with interval training at good volume when you're already struggling--a lethal combination.

I'm assuming, with good accuracy, you are over-done.  You need to overhaul yourself by going easy for a several days--just taking a day off won't co it.  Keep running but go real easy--so many think taking days off is good.  On the contrary, going for easy jog would help you so much more.

A few more tips; don't do those heavy mile repeats or 3/4 mile repeats on the week of the race.  No value to it whatsoever.  Just do one mile and FEEL GOOD and be done with it.  If you want to take a day off, not the day before the race; always 2 days before the race.

You've done your homework already.  Your body is NOT going to forget how to run in a week and a half.  Have faith.

I made a late decision to enter a half-marathon about 6-7 weeks ago. I haven't run one since February 2010. I put together a progressive plan which included two quality workouts and a long run (for me) per week with two days of easy running and two days off. (I'm 55 and have learned that I need those recovery days.)

Everything was going splendidly with the plan until last week's Saturday LR, scheduled for 11 miles. It started poorly as I just felt stale and it continued to deteriorate from there. By mile 7 I had cramps in my right hip, both quads, both calves, and my left foot. I ended up cutting it short and walking home the last two miles.

On Sunday I ran 5 easy miles but still felt more of a struggle than it should have. Monday called for a 2 mile warm-up and then 2 X 1200 @ 5k pace and a mile cool down. The warm up was a death march. I ended the work out there, afraid I was maybe edging into that dreaded over-trained dimension.

Tuesday was an off day and today was a scheduled 6 easy. I cut the plan to 5 miles, and although a bit better it was still not pleasant and my legs still feel a bit stale.

Here is my schedule the rest of the way-

Thursday-  4 X 1.5 mi over rolling hills @ 10k pace with 4 minute recoveries. 1 mi wu & cd

Friday-  off

Saturday-  9 miles easy

Sunday-  5 miles easy

Monday-  2 X 1 mi @ 10k pace with 2 minute rec.  1 mi wu & cd

Tuesday-  off

Wednesday-  6 miles easy

Thursday-  5 miles easy

Friday-  4 miles easy

Saturday- off

Sunday-  Race

My question is this: What adjustments should I make to get some zip back into by body? Replace tomorrows quality work with easy running? Shorten the amount? Same with Monday's scheduled work or wait to see if I gain some improvement?

I'd really appreciate some ideas, I'm so close to the race.

Chris T

Thank you, Nobby. I will convert my remaining schedule to what you suggest.

I never felt that I was training 'over my head' but now, in retrospect, I can see that the previous two weeks training was pretty substantial for me. Thanks also for the tips leading up to race day. Your knowledge and your willingness to consistently help the community here is a very appreciated asset.

Chris

Feeling the growl again

Jamezilla & spaniel-  Understood. To be certain though- scrap both of the two remaining quality workouts and just finish out with easy miles?

Yes, I was thinking much along the lines of what Nobby posted in detail.

For most distance races, there is little you can gain in the last couple weeks but a lot you can ruin.  Going into a goal HM or marathon my last real, full speed/volume workout is 10 days out.  After that you start cutting it before you get fatigue so that you keep the feel and muscle memory of running fast, but keep on recovering/peaking.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Chris T

Thank you, spaniel. You're special, too. Smile