Stupid Rain (Read 2114 times)

jfa

Why don't you just use condoms

Lia's Daddy

I'm doing the Pig on Sunday as well. I have been expecting rain. There had to be a reason why I did training runs I did. Let's see, one was through 8-10" of fresh snow. A week later the snow had started to melt so I did 15 miles in ankle deep frozen slush. One week it had started by snowing in the middle of the night and then turned to frozen sleet so that each step I broke through the ice, sank into the snow, and cut the heck out of my ankles and shins on razor sharp shards of ice. Then there was the 20 miler with a head wind that literally took me two minutes off my normal pace. In the last few weeks I've had to battle 80 degrees and humidity.

Bring on 58 and rainy!

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
        I love this place.

nothing to see here.  

You are kidding about the socks/baggie/sockes thing, are you not?

It's a marathon, not a filthy whore you have to worry about diseases from.

Plus, with normal feet sweat and water running down your legs, your feet will be just as wet anyway.

keeponrunning

Sock, baggy, sock!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!  PLEASE be kidding me.  Do not do that.  Ever.  I'm begging you.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay I think I figured out what the gallon baggie is for and it makes me shudder.  I think Bearcat is thinking it might be a good idea to put on one sock, then put a plastic bag over his foot, then put on another sock.  I'd love to be wrong about this.  I don't think I am.

Um, okay, Bearcat I know that making fun of you is like my favorite sport on the internet but I must, for a moment, be serious and say that if you were considering it, PLEASE do not do the sock, baggie, sock thing.  Seriously.  Dude.

Just put on one pair of running socks.

Maybe a little vaseline on the feet first but that's it.  You might get wet, it will be okay.

Yes I do believe that making fun of me is your favorite sport and to be honest I give you lots of material to work with.  You were also correct about the baggie thing but I will say in my defense I have done this and it works.  However, I never notice my feet ever getting too hot or sweaty.  Now the big down fall with this, as is goretex running shoes, is that if water somehow makes it into the bag it will never leave. 

Damn a lot of don't do it!  You guys are making me second guess this big time.  Okay no baggies.  Thanks for helping me make the sane decision. 

@runningwild - Thanks man your message helped a lot.  I had a lot of crappy runs where I maned up and got out the door in some really bad weather.  Even some pouring down rain ones, which is why I am having flashbacks of soaked socks and shoes.  I can live with that. 

2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

That almost sounds like fightin' words or a call for some sort of rivalry.

hehe.  Can't have rivalry with a scared opponent.  Some people answer the call, others answer the call and then think about it and run and hide behind the first excuse or person they can find..  Just sayin. 

2011 Goals:
                Scout7

Dude, seriously.  What are you hoping to accomplish with all of this?

You are going to get wet in your race, whether it's raining or not.  For the love of all that's holy, stop worrying about all the miniscule little stupid things.  You're driving yourself batshit crazy right now.

It's just a race.  Soon, it will be over.  And you're going to look back on it and think about how you got all wound up in the dumb little things that ended up not mattering one bit, and then you realize that you missed out on important things.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Dude, seriously.  What are you hoping to accomplish with all of this?

You are going to get wet in your race, whether it's raining or not.  For the love of all that's holy, stop worrying about all the miniscule little stupid things.  You're driving yourself batshit crazy right now.

It's just a race.  Soon, it will be over.  And you're going to look back on it and think about how you got all wound up in the dumb little things that ended up not mattering one bit, and then you realize that you missed out on important things.

I'm just trying to prepare the best I can for the race.  Not sure I see the harm in that.  Sure I am tweaking a little but I think most of us do that.  It is all of this stupid tapering that gives us too much free time.  Right now my plan is to look at some smartwool socks but most likely will run in my asics socks with lots of body glide on the bottom of my feet. 

I know I am going to get wet and already decided against my waterproof running jacket as I don't want to overheat.  What important things am I missing?  I don't want to miss them if they are important.  Oopps your rightI almost missed breakfast.  Damn gotta go eat that.  Thanks. 

@Joe I don't use those because they only have so many super large ones at the drug stpre and I like to use those for water balloons.

2011 Goals:

A Saucy Wench

BCR - I ran my BQ in the rain which became pretty hard rain.  Extra bodyglide everywhere (maybe some bandaids for your nips) and a running hat or visor (which I wear rain or sun anyway).  and then just run.  The only adjustment is to make sure you have more warm clothes in your drop bag for AFTER the race and maybe a trashbag or toss away hoodie to wear while you are milling around before the race. 

It's just rain.    

MTA: I wouldnt try new socks either unless you have time to run in them.  smartwool bugs my feet

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

Here's what you're missing:

IT'S JUST ONE RACE.

As Mikey once said:

"When you're done talking about the thing and obsessing over the thing and you actually, finally, mercifully get to the starting line to do the thing--run the race that is--the number in your head doesn't mean shit.

You'll run the race you're capable of if you can just get your big dumb brain out of the way and execute a max effort over the distance you're racing that day. You can't do that if half your brain is preoccupied with a number--either a mile split or a pace or a finish time or one of the numbers on that beeping, blinking gizmoid the size of a toaster strapped onto your chicken-bone wrist.

This is what you trained for. Now do the thing. You find out the number at the end, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. You just never know. And that's why you do it."

Stop worrying about your socks and clothes.  Get your head out of the way.  Focus on going over the race in your mind.  How do you want to feel at each section?  Visualize running smooth and strong through the race.  Don't worry about time and numbers and socks and jackets and weather.  Focus on being centered, feeling calm and confident.

You trained for this race.  Why would you worry about it?  Have confidence in yourself and your training.  Wet feet are not going to destroy your race.  And if they do, so what?  You learn from the race and plan for the next one.  Taper is NOT the time to start wondering about what socks to wear.  You wear the same socks you wear in training.  You wear the same clothes you wear in training.  Approach the race as just another training run.  Because at the end, that's what it is.  Just another run.

Your obsessions will do more to sap your confidence and thus your performance than the actual things you are obsessing over.  Tapering is an excuse.  It's an excuse to let yourself freak out, which can lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Stop.  Breathe.  Relax.  You have this.  Get your dumb brain out of the way, and you'll do better than you thought you could.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, if the race were in Nashville, they'd cancel it for 58 and rain.

Or have a Surpise!! early start.

Imminent Catastrophe

Love those Rock 'n' Roll races...I hope they still turned a profit on the race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks a lot Scout now I am worried if I should be looking at my watch too make sure I am not going out too fast or run by feel.  Augh   Seriously though thanks for the kick in the butt I needed that. 

The good news is that if it does rain all of those iPod runners will have to ditch those  music devices and then they can experience the full glory of the marathon. Then again if it is heavy rain we may not have many supporters.  Whatever, lets race. 

2011 Goals: