The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

19,000+ people signed up for the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee. $60 a pop. 

That is more seriouser cabbage.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

19,000+ people signed up for the Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee. $60 a pop. 

That is more seriouser cabbage.

But you get one of the ugliest race shirts I've ever seen, plus a medal or buckle, AND the opportunity to pay more and run back for a pin or  another medal.

Note: the proceeds go to charity

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Laz always produced the ugliest shirts you’ve ever seen. 

and I think a fraction goes to charity.

But you get one of the ugliest race shirts I've ever seen, plus a medal or buckle, AND the opportunity to pay more and run back for a pin or  another medal.

Note: the proceeds go to charity

which brings up a gripe I've always had:

Why do we have to pay extra to get a crappy quality shirt with an amateurish design and a bunch of free advertising for the race?

Nearly all of mine go directly into the Goodwill box.

It would be great if all races had an itemized list of "race goodies" that you could check off if you want, with the entry fee reflecting your decisions.

Shirt? No

Medal? Absolutely not. Unless for earning the podium

Drink ticket for beer? Yes please

Souvenir Race pic with local HS mascot and the cousin of Evil Knievel's grandson? No thanks

Swag Bag of bite size nutrition samples and sports hydration? Yes, but give to local food bank

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Best race shirt I ever got was the 2nd of two.  The participation race shirt was consumed with sponsor logos.  If you qualified for Boston you got a very sleek shirt with just the marathon name on the front and "Boston Qualified" on the back.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drink tickets make no sense. Just give me beer.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Drink tickets make no sense. Just give me beer.

They're just liability prevention.

"We don't know how she got drunk, hopped in a car, and smashed into a school bus; we only allowed her two drinks."

rlopez

Why do we have to pay extra to get a crappy quality shirt with an amateurish design and a bunch of free advertising for the race?

I gave away a vast majority of my shirts too. And I was always on the "please please please give me a cotton shirt unless your tech shirt is actually good quality" team. There is nothing worse than a poorly made tech shirt and/or one with a giant damn iron-on logo on it. Can't run it, won't wear it out in public... and even a bad cotton shirt can make a good rag. Not a tech shirt, though.

I know one race that gives both a cotton shirt and a custom-for-each-runner tech shirt.

The reason why many races do shirts and medals is because runners demand them. And when they don't exist, some non-small quantity of runners will bitch loudly about it. Shirts... well, these have been a part of the race scene forever. When medals became a requirement at halves (and shorter!) events, that got me. And if you, RD, do not offer a medal at your half, you better be prepared for long term suffering in email and facebook. As for how we pay for them... whether this is rolled into the race price or viewed as an add-on... the shit gets complicated for a few reasons. Including runner expectations. ESPECIALLY with medals. "You will only get one if you paid for it" becomes a merry disaster at the finish line, especially for volunteers.

Edited to add: upon further reflection, my favorite event company in all the land, Aravaipa, does shirts as an add-on purchase (or, "no shirt to save a few bucks", really) for many of their smaller races... not Javelina, Black Canyon, or ATY... and has for years.

Laz always produced the ugliest shirts you’ve ever seen. 

and I think a fraction goes to charity.

I'm pretend running across TN without even signing up for anything and throwing money away!

an amazing likeness

It would be great if all races had an itemized list of "race goodies" that you could check off if you want, with the entry fee reflecting your decisions

Might be a regional thing, but this is fairly common in these parts. Not sure I could quantify what % of events use this approach, but I'd say it's getting close to 50/50 and growing. fwiw / ymmv / wgaf

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Two shirts?

The actual fuck?

I know one race that gives both a cotton shirt and a custom-for-each-runner tech shirt.

rlopez

If it's what you say I love it especially later in the fall

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Culturally this is rather funny: a friend ran a HM in Brazil.  EVERYONE wore the bright yellow race-shirt in the race.  Except for him.  And one other guy.  Who turned out to be German.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Two shirts?

The actual fuck?

Houston gives two shirts, as I recall - you get one before the race, and one after.

One of our local series (managed by a local running store) gives you a choice of a shirt, a gift certificate to use at their running store, or a gift to charity.  I've always thought that's the way to do it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlopez

Houston gives two shirts, as I recall - you get one before the race, and one after.

One of our local series (managed by a local running store) gives you a choice of a shirt, a gift certificate to use at their running store, or a gift to charity.  I've always thought that's the way to do it.

Most of the big marathons in Texas give you two shirts. I don't know which race started it, probably Houston, but they mostly do. I think Cowtown has given 3 shirts once or twice.

However, what Dr Ternt and I are vaugebooking is the fact that ONE race will give you a cotton shirt and a tech shirt that has been customized JUST to you, with your name or nickname on it and the number of times you've previously completed the race on the sleeve.