2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A millennial captain is ok....just as long as you’re not a snowflake millennial.

Cal all has been Sub 3 captain before and he’ll show you the ropes. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cal is right I thought he really didnt know the american spelling which ended up insulting him more 

Mikey I thing he has a 2.15 PB. Hes probably our 3rd best marathoner behind the Robertson twins.

I was feeling good about my running today but then my calf started to ache again 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

steve_

powered by plants

A millennial captain is ok....just as long as you’re not a snowflake millennial.

All millennials are snowflakes.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nah I can't be the thread runner for 2019, too much responsibility. Remember, I'm a millennial and we can't be trusted with anything . I nominate one of our more wise runners to be the thread captain.

You're a millennial?

Crap - you guys are everywhere these days.

Just joking - hey, some of my best teammates are millennials.  It's not your fault you missed the glory days of fishnets and flannel and rave culture and gangsta rap.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You're a millennial?

Crap - you guys are everywhere these days.

Just joking - hey, some of my best teammates are millennials.  It's not your fault you missed the glory days of fishnets and flannel and rave culture and gangsta rap.

I know it's a shame. It's embarrassing. There are a bunch of guys in this thread justttt on the cusp of being millennial because they're in their late 30s, but I am the only one firmly in the camp being 32. I feel like once you hit 30 though, you should get some break from the older generations. Also, as one of the older aged millennials, we don't fit in the camp of having always grown up with a phone and the Internet, which is where I feel like the real break in generations should occur, although I guess that's Generation Z. At least we can all agree THEY'RE the worst.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Seriously, these millenials are the worst.  I bet JMac even took a medal after NYC despite not even placing in the top 3, let alone winning the race.

After my 23 week marathon cycle, I'm happy to be back on trails (I'm fortunate to be about a 5 minute drive from surely one of the best parks in the east coast).  Taking it easy with my metatarsal pain, but I've gotten a few quality 8-10 milers in now.  Just a matter of time before I take a tumble on these rocky trails with my headlamp.  I'm thinking of doing a 12 week training cycle for Boston.  Think I'll stay at 40 miles or so for the next month, but I'll try to get some speedwork in each week if my health allows.

Hope this week's runners are escaping the metatarsal taper bug.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

CalBears

Seems like my bib # is 6068. From what I see at the mobile site you have to register to track either via email or phone. But I hope they will have just regular live tracking at the web site - I wouldn’t trust neither email nor messaging. But tracking is not exciting anyway - 6.2, 13.1 and 20 miles marks - nothing like excitement of NY marathon tracking.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Seems like my bib # is 6068. From what I see at the mobile site you have to register to track either via email or phone. But I hope they will have just regular live tracking at the web site - I wouldn’t trust neither email nor messaging. But tracking is not exciting anyway - 6.2, 13.1 and 20 miles marks - nothing like excitement of NY marathon tracking.

That's a bummer regarding the tracking.

Cal - I mean this question in all seriousness before Mikkey thinks I'm picking on you again: how much weight have you lost during the buildup? I know when you came back, you said you were about 20 pounds overweight. Have you lost all of that, or are you still a bit over? I wonder if that'll make the difference between sub 3 or not. Sometimes I wonder if all of the training we do actually is so beneficial to our aerobic engine, or if it's just because we lose so much weight that it's easier to run faster. I went from 155 down to 138 during my buildup this summer, that probably had a lot to do with my times getting faster. Obviously a combination of both but not sure how much to attribute to each.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Cal - Good luck this weekend! I've seen enough of your abilities not to think sub 3 is out of reach, but damn that would be amazing off of a 40+ min 10k.  Either way, I hope you stick around and look for a marathon to target in the Spring.

Swim - Go get it! I hope you find away to get this massive cycle to pay off. Five quality sessions a week is insane. Seems like a PR-goal is a bit soft. You should be able to destroy that.

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - Good to hear from you, was looking at your Strava and you're getting some consistency back. Excited to see what you can do this spring.

Sling - My metatarsal stuff is so hit or miss. Yesterday during my run, while avoiding some a-hole who refused to move to the right when running on the sidewalk, I stepped oddly on the exact spot that caused a lot of pain. I think it's better today, but that put a scare into me. It hurts the most in the morning getting out of bed, and definitely after my runs, but otherwise it's better than it has been. Hopefully you're seeing similar improvement. I'd love to see this gone by January 1!

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Hey all new here just wanted to come in and say hello. Some of you, I know some I have no clue but since this is new to me I'll take off my shoes say a polite hello.

Mikkey, sorry mate those buggers denied my entry to London so yet again I lose out on your kind hospitality.

Cal,  Good to see your back and chatty as ever.

Swim, what up my man.

Piwi, Drew long time no chat, thought you evolved as a runner and was pursuing another spot like Curling or something.

Geez speaking of Curling what a sport? Can you have two more unalike versions of a woman. Like Russia and Canada recruit from Wilhelmina  while the US recruit from Roseann Barr impersonators. Interesting sport to say the least, it might be my true calling in life.

Anyway I'm running CIM and Mikkey was like dude come on over. So I'm here to see who I can pimp a ride off of. I'm a lazy runner and like to vampire peoples positive aura so who can I suck dry. LOL

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

CalBears

That's a bummer regarding the tracking.

Cal - I mean this question in all seriousness before Mikkey thinks I'm picking on you again: how much weight have you lost during the buildup? I know when you came back, you said you were about 20 pounds overweight. Have you lost all of that, or are you still a bit over? I wonder if that'll make the difference between sub 3 or not. Sometimes I wonder if all of the training we do actually is so beneficial to our aerobic engine, or if it's just because we lose so much weight that it's easier to run faster. I went from 155 down to 138 during my buildup this summer, that probably had a lot to do with my times getting faster. Obviously a combination of both but not sure how much to attribute to each.

I am pretty sure they should have live tracking on the home page - they had it every year, not sure why they have phone and email tracking at all - it's way too delayed in my experience. It's relatively small (~7000 runners) and relatively non-expensive race ($100-120 if you don't delay registration ) - I guess they are limited in adding more tracking points on the course.

By this day I lost around 11 pounds and still 7-9 pounds over my weight I had in 2013-2015. 11 pounds is still great - I don't feel bloated and fat anymore. Obviously weight has a role - they say it's 2 secs per mile per pound - 10 more pounds - 20 second per mile slower. But I improved by 10+ minutes with the same weight during those 2013-2015 years - so, it's not only about weight, imho.

Cal - Good luck this weekend! I've seen enough of your abilities not to think sub 3 is out of reach, but damn that would be amazing off of a 40+ min 10k.  Either way, I hope you stick around and look for a marathon to target in the Spring. 

Definitely no marathon for me in the Spring - though I signed for two 100K races in April and May - means, I will continue training but not marathon training. 100% chance I will register for next year CIM during first-second week after this year CIM ends (they have Re-Run registration right after CIM finishes and you can sign up for a discounted rate - I will let you know JMac if you plane to run it next year). If things are not really bad mainly with my job, I hope to keep running the whole year next year, so, training for next year CIM hopefully will be much better and without drama of the last two years Smile. I also in the lottery for WS 100 for the forth year in a row, so, if I have luck there (only 11% chance after 4 years in a lottery) - that would change my training considerably as I never run 100 miles race yet.

Sling - My metatarsal stuff is so hit or miss. Yesterday during my run, while avoiding some a-hole who refused to move to the right when running on the sidewalk, I stepped oddly on the exact spot that caused a lot of pain. I think it's better today, but that put a scare into me. It hurts the most in the morning getting out of bed, and definitely after my runs, but otherwise it's better than it has been. Hopefully you're seeing similar improvement. I'd love to see this gone by January 1!

JMac - never ever I could understand guys who train through pain. Come on man - you are just 32 and you are struggling with a pain WHEN WALKING!!! Seriously? That's the whole idea of your running? Fix the problem. Heal so you could be a normal healthy person in your daily life. You do that, you run after that. Don't decrease quality of your life - you run to feel better, not vice versa. You are not paid professional, sort things out - do not run 3, 4, 5 weeks - as much as needed. If you treat a problem and get it healed, I think it should bother you less next time, because I think it adapts after you give it time to heal. But if you continue running through the pain and struggle, it will not get better - you may think you just being a hero but in reality you are making your chances for longer running life more slim. That's my opinion based on what I saw happening with some other guys on this thread.

CalBears

Anyway I'm running CIM and Mikkey was like dude come on over. So I'm here to see who I can pimp a ride off of. I'm a lazy runner and like to vampire peoples positive aura so who can I suck dry. LOL

Good to see you Slammin too! You are running CIM? Wow! WIth your Padawan trying to qualify for Olympic Trials? What is your goal this time? Anyway, always great to hear your point of view on other people's training and approaches Smile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Hey Cal, she is coming but wont be running. She had an MRI yesterday and will be in a boot for 6 weeks.

I have no luck with her. Ths year she ran 17:35 5k 1:19 half and a 36 flat 10k then gets hurt two weeks before her marathon. We takes 6 weeks we start training for CIM she gets hurt three weeks ago again so she will be spectating.

I will be running and scoping the course as I plan to be back next year with three young padawans my goal is to qualify three women next year to OTQ b standard.  I have a 28 yo from FL a 23 YO in NY and my Padawan. Who runs faster the older she gets.  She is PRing at 41. Just needs to stay healthy.

I see like me your having PF issues. Stay away from the 4% I run fast then can't walk for two weeks but sometimes the times are worth the pain lol.  Hopefully I will see you there and can have a drink or coffee.

Its good reconnecting.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good to see you here Slammin! You seem to be getting faster from what I’ve seen on Strava and still doing lots of easy 8+min/mile runs! 👍 This could become the Sub 2:40 thread next year....so maybe I’ll just spectate from the peanut gallery. 😀

Piwi - Sorry to hear about the calf playing up again. I find that once I get an injury it becomes a weak spot...do you do any strength training? What about adding jump rope skipping into your training?

JMac - Going from 155 to 138 is a big drop and would definitely improve your time! What height are you?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)