2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

kcam

Well, not exactly sure, yet.  Although, I won't taper, I am planning a recovery week, so should be rested enough.  I am hoping for 6:30s, and that seems obtainable.  I could use it as a training run and do 6:52s for 10 miles and then kick it in (assuming I am feeling good).  Its exactly a month before the NYC marathon, so open to any ideas on what the best plan is for it????

And @ParkLife, your guess is a good one, but again I have limited experience in the marathon world.

A month before your big marathon?  F'in race it and find out just how fit you are.    That is perfect timing,I wouldn't waste it on a 'training' run.  1:25 or 1:26 4 weeks out would be more useful to my confidence in going sub-3 than a 6:52-paced half marathon with a fast finish.

A month before your big marathon?  F'in race it and find out just how fit you are.    That is perfect timing,I wouldn't waste it on a 'training' run.  1:25 or 1:26 4 weeks out would be more useful to my confidence in going sub-3 than a 6:52-paced half marathon with a fast finish.

+1. You may surprise yourself and run 6:20's for your 1/2.

as another sub 3:00 wannabe, the 1:26 half marathon is the measuring stick I'm thinking is the true indicator. I've run 1:27 a couple of times in marathon training with no taper.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

I always loved doing the 1/2s with 10 @ MP and 3.1 as fast as I could.  When I could run 10 @ MP and 3.1 - 30 seconds per mile faster I knew I was "In-Like-Flynn"  This was with a 1 or 2 day taper from full training load.

An all out 1/2 marathon with a week taper and a week recovery - Seems like a lot of time to invest to get an indicator - The 5k fast finish is a 1-2 day taper and a 2-3 day recovery.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

as another sub 3:00 wannabe, the 1:26 half marathon is the measuring stick I'm thinking is the true indicator. I've run 1:27 a couple of times in marathon training with no taper.

I've run sub-3 twice, off a 1:26:35 and a 1:26, but I think for most people that is pushing it -- I am optImized for the marathon distance. Conventional wisdom would say you'd prefer 1:25ish.
            kcam

I always loved doing the 1/2s with 10 @ MP and 3.1 as fast as I could.  When I could run 10 @ MP and 3.1 - 30 seconds per mile faster I knew I was "In-Like-Flynn"  This was with a 1 or 2 day taper from full training load.

An all out 1/2 marathon with a week taper and a week recovery - Seems like a lot of time to invest to get an indicator - The 5k fast finish is a 1-2 day taper and a 2-3 day recovery.

Taper?  No taper, and hell, no recovery either other than a couple/three easy days - just keep training.  Only concession I'd make to the 1/2 is to skip my one hard workout in the week leading up to the 1/2.

Taper?  No taper, and hell, no recovery either other than a couple/three easy days - just keep training.  Only concession I'd make to the 1/2 is to skip my one hard workout in the week leading up to the 1/2.

+1. I swear I run my best 1/2 marathons when my legs are tired from a good week of training. Also, I would agree with bhearn, although some can pull off a sub 3 with a 1:26 1/2, most people can't. Doesn't hurt to try though....
                bhearn

Yeah. I'm always happiest with a half time a few weeks out. No taper. I guess if you're normally running 100+ week miles, maybe things look different. :-)
                  Schmize

Good stuff guys!  This is the kind of information I was looking for.  Looks like most of the 1:26 finishers had a lot of mileage in their legs or had been to the sub 3:00 dance before.  I am looking forward to that 1/2 marathon now.  I will report back with how I do, and then *hopefully* throw my hat in the ring!   

kcam

Yeah. I'm always happiest with a half time a few weeks out. No taper. I guess if you're normally running 100+ week miles, maybe things look different. :-)

Yeah, DoppleBock is an animal on the mileage front!  Us mileage weenies running only 50-75MPW may not need the taper that a 120-140mpw guy does!  

FWIW, last night I was supposed to do a Big Run.  4.5 mile jog to the track, 4X2400m at current HMP with 200jogs, 4.5mile jog back home.  I started late (ate dinner beforehand - HUGE HUGE mistake!) and my wife suggested I drive to the track instead of running the 4.5 miles.  I contemplated it for a minute and the thought that sealed it was "JezusHKrist, guys like DB would eat this workout for lunch and come back for more.  If he run the mileage he runs, certainly I can do this little-bitty run."   That settled it and off I went jogging to the track.  Thanks, DB for the motivation.  You are da man!

Also, if you can hit 1:26 while under marathon training load (not tapered and not 'peaked' for the 1/2 of your life) then I believe you probably have a shot at sub-3.  If you taper and peak for that 1/2 then I'd agree you'd probably need to be at 1:25 or better for sub-3.

Green Bay

Milwaukee

I also really like (But they small and harder)

Jouneys

Paavo

Rails to Trails (Actually fast course on Rail bed)

Whistle Stop (Again fastish course on rail bed)

A track guy like you could check out Ice Breaker - Indoor in January - I have run it twice and it is pretty good.

Did I say Lakeshore?  I meant Lakefront which I presume is the Milwaukee one.

It seems we have a resident RAer that's got a grip on Paavo.

I'm thinking about running the half at Rails to Trails.

I am a track guy (or I was), but running over 13.5 laps on the track makes me cry.  I'm not sure the Ice Breaker is for me.  Maybe someone needs to put together a marathon at the Michigan International Speedway.

The problem is that Fox Cities is our hometown marathon, and it's tough for me to want to do anything else right now.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DoppleBock

But he also has a place nearby with room on the floor to pass out onto and cold beer in the fridge. 

Green Bay is close enough to be hometown ... heck don't you live near Sherwood - Green Bay may be almost as close as Fox Cities.

Paavo - Ben seems to have a vice grip on the race and there is little or no chance at a course record ...

Did I say Lakeshore?  I meant Lakefront which I presume is the Milwaukee one.

It seems we have a resident RAer that's got a grip on Paavo.

I'm thinking about running the half at Rails to Trails.

I am a track guy (or I was), but running over 13.5 laps on the track makes me cry.  I'm not sure the Ice Breaker is for me.  Maybe someone needs to put together a marathon at the Michigan International Speedway.

The problem is that Fox Cities is our hometown marathon, and it's tough for me to want to do anything else right now.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I didn't post here this year what my goal was but I at least wanted to go sub-3.  On Sunday, I finally got that monkey off my back.  Ran the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in 2:41:22.  That's an hour better than my failed attempt last year and in 2007!  I'm still very excited by the turnout.  Badgerland Striders do a great job with the Lakefront Marathon.  I would certainly do that one again over Chicago.  After achilles issues last year and two brief bouts of hamstring pulls this year, I was able to string enough training together to finally get a good enough of an attempt at it.  First half was 1:18:47, 2nd half in 1:22:42.  Held pace well through 21 and started to slowly fade until the end.  Even today, legs are feeling about 80-90% recovered.

I last qualified for Boston in 1997, so it's icing on the cake to finally get that again.  Put me down for 2013!  Who needs an 18-wk training plan when you can have an 18-mo training plan?  I have something to look forward to and am excited to see what I can do next year with distances ranging from 5k-1/2.  I still have a lot of room to improve on my new-age PR's (aka post college). 

An hour off your time from a year ago.. that is phenomenal. Great work! Really, what else is there to say besides.. when is your next race?

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

Are we there yet?

I didn't post here this year what my goal was but I at least wanted to go sub-3.  On Sunday, I finally got that monkey off my back.  Ran the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in 2:41:22.  That's an hour better than my failed attempt last year and in 2007!  I'm still very excited by the turnout.  Badgerland Striders do a great job with the Lakefront Marathon.  I would certainly do that one again over Chicago.  After achilles issues last year and two brief bouts of hamstring pulls this year, I was able to string enough training together to finally get a good enough of an attempt at it.  First half was 1:18:47, 2nd half in 1:22:42.  Held pace well through 21 and started to slowly fade until the end.  Even today, legs are feeling about 80-90% recovered.

I last qualified for Boston in 1997, so it's icing on the cake to finally get that again.  Put me down for 2013!  Who needs an 18-wk training plan when you can have an 18-mo training plan?  I have something to look forward to and am excited to see what I can do next year with distances ranging from 5k-1/2.  I still have a lot of room to improve on my new-age PR's (aka post college). 

Great job!!! I just stalked your log and your list of pr's.. well done! Nice splits as well, I cut and pasted this from your report -> 13-20: 5:47, 5:44, 5:53, 5:55, 6:02, 6:00, 6:09.. that is an ambitious middle of the race to get to mile 20. Wow.. what was your fueling like? 

I'm excited for you. Way to break into the new age grp 2nd place 35-39. Looking forward to reading about your sub 240 in Boston 2013. Perhaps I will meet you in the late miles after Heartbreak.