1000 more than 2007 (Read 981 times)

Finished up last year at 708.7 miles, and tonight's run put this year's total at 1708.8 miles. I needed a couple of weeks off after BayState, but other than that I managed to bump the mileage and stay healthy. If I can get a repeat of mileage and luck in 2009, I'll be one happy runner. I'm off to knock on wood, and find a four leaf clover under about two feet of fresh snow.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Ed! What a big improvement! Good luck finding a four leaf clover! I can barely find my mailbox.

Along for the Ride

Yeah! That is a great accomplishment. It will be even bigger if you in fact do find that 4 leaf clover in all the snow ... Wink

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Great job. It is inspiring to me. I am hoping to be able to make a similar jump in miles going into my second year of running. Keep up the good work!
            Congratulations BadDawg, I've done something similar in the last 2 years (500 to 1100 to 1900) and it's interesting how you get less injuries off the higher mileage. Good luck with your goals in 09.....

Another Passion

You've had an amazing year, Ed. Congratulations my friend and keep it up. Best running wishes, and more, to you in 2009, my friend. Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Great job. I'm finishing up my first year of running (actually only about 8.5 months) at or around 600 miles and I'd be THRILLED to see a 1000+ increase in 09. Thanks for the inspiration, Ed.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

an amazing likeness

Way to go Dawg, that's an amazing year-over-year improvement! All that work paid off in your Bay State results. Its reading things from folks like you and the results you have that gets me out the door on my lazy days. Stay healthy, stay stealthy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

That's awesome. I have been meaning to ask you ... what's your run / walk? I looked at your log and noticed you referenced "scheduled walks" during the Bay State / BQ. Do you run all of your races with scheduled walks? Tell me more.

2012= under-goaled

That's awesome. I have been meaning to ask you ... what's your run / walk? I looked at your log and noticed you referenced "scheduled walks" during the Bay State / BQ. Do you run all of your races with scheduled walks? Tell me more.
                      I started as a Galloway run/walker, and even used it regularly during 5k races up to about a year ago. Unless I've outrun my fitness on a given day, I run races up to 5 miles without scheduled walk breaks now. I use Gallowalking on long training runs, these days that would be something over ten miles. I have my Garmin set up for eight minute run intervals and one minute "rest" intervals. I've just recently started recording the interval distances covered in my log entries*, if you look at Sunday's 16 miler you'll see that most of the running segments were pretty close to a mile and most of the walking segments were somewhere around 120 yards. On this one, my pace averaged out to a pretty comfortable pace of 8:39 per mile. I personally think the regular walk breaks allow my legs to remain relatively fresh during long runs, and recover faster too. Gearing up for BayState, I ran a 29 miler on a Saturday and was able to run a halfway decent 5k time on Sunday as a recovery run. It's not for everybody, but I probably wouldn't be running today if I hadn't tripped across the Galloway plan. Sometimes I don't feel like a "real" runner, but I'm OK with that and I don't have any plans to make any major changes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll be more than happy to share my experience with it. *I'm really looking forward to the RA GPS upload, then the intervals will upload automagically

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hey BadDawg -- Thats pretty impressive. You have done an excellent job of progressing and the Galloway system really works (I know I have been using it a lot lately on anything over 5 miles - and I really like it). Its looking like I will be just a little shy of 800 miles for this year (in fact probably only 4 to 6 miles shy - Id pump up a few extra miles today and tomorrow if I wasnt running in a race on Jan 1st)..........With your progress as a guide, I think maybe I can get around 1700 to 1800 Miles in 2009..............you are giving me some extra motivation....... See you at BayState in 2009.....I will definately be there....... Big grin Big grin Smile Big grin Big grin Hey DAWG -- Are you going to run in Stu's on March 1st??? Ill definately be there, but I haven't decided if Im going to run or assist the club with the run - water stop or timing.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

It's not for everybody, but I probably wouldn't be running today if I hadn't tripped across the Galloway plan. Sometimes I don't feel like a "real" runner, but I'm OK with that and I don't have any plans to make any major changes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll be more than happy to share my experience with it.
                          Don't feel like a real runner? WTF? As they say in other sports -- SCOREBOARD! [AKA -- BQ!] Do you schedule the walks in longer races [1/2's & marathons] to coincide with fluid stops? Kill two birds w/ one stone? I'm going to check out Galloway. Congrats again on a great year.

2012= under-goaled

See you at BayState in 2009.....I will definately be there....... Big grin Big grin Smile Big grin Big grin Hey DAWG -- Are you going to run in Stu's on March 1st??? Ill definately be there, but I haven't decided if Im going to run or assist the club with the run - water stop or timing.....
                            Very nice job on the return to running John, here's hoping your injury-free buildup success continues throughout the New Year! I know a whole bunch of the Greater Lowell Road Runners that do such a great job with BayState. They're a really nice crew, so I finally filled out the application to join them. I'll be one of the GLRR volunteers cheering you on, I'm very much looking forward to it. I tend to wait until just before an event to register, to improve the odds that I make it to the starting line. The next app that will be hitting the mailbox will be the Boston Prep 16 miler (on 1/25?) in Derry. I really don't like the idea of registration through active.com, so I don't think I'll be running the Wild Rover series in Haverhill/Lawrence/Lowell this year. That makes the odds of a Stu's appearance much better, I think I'll be there.
                            Do you schedule the walks in longer races [1/2's & marathons] to coincide with fluid stops? Kill two birds w/ one stone? I'm going to check out Galloway. Congrats again on a great year.
                            For half and full marathons, I carry an 8 ounce Poland Springs bottle with me. I don't drink an awful lot as a rule, so I just make a couple of pit stops to refill my bottle at water stops. That way I choke down some Sport Beans or Sharkies (or my latest favorite Swedish Fish), take a quick drink and it's time to start running again. Instead of going four or so miles between Gu fueling, I like the opportunity for frequent small-quantity intake during walk breaks. For Providence, I followed Galloway's 3:30 plan, and finished in 3:33. For BayState, I followed his 3:15 plan and finished in 3:22. He gives ranges for either time or distance (like 16-18 miles or 45-70 minutes), and I always tried to stay on the upper end of the range or exceed it slightly. I also ran hills on a regular basis.

E.J.