Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Definitely a good idea to try out the Maurten gels in a workout like that. I also tried them out during a couple big T workouts and they went down easy.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do in Botswana.

Flavio - I'm using a Fenix 5X. Sometimes when it's cold (blood vessels in my wrist constrict) I'll have issues with the optical sensor - which isn't uncommon for any wrist-based sensor. Most of the time it's fine, though. But lately I've been having issues with static causing issues with my chest strap reading properly as well. There have been several runs recently in which I've switched back and forth between sensors as I'd run in to issues with one then the other. I have my finger poised over the "buy" button on a Polar OH1+ as we type...

Marco - Nice workout.

Work is going to start a team "steps challenge" soon. I'm trying to put together a team of people who I know run. No word yet on who gets picked for an entry into the OKC marathon through work. It's not like the final rate bump is in a few days, or anything...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Work is going to start a team "steps challenge" soon. I'm trying to put together a team of people who I know run. No word yet on who gets picked for an entry into the OKC marathon through work. It's not like the final rate bump is in a few days, or anything...

Don't assume a team of runners will win.  I am always stunned how far down I place in my company's steps challenge.  I don't crack the top 100.  Some huge #s are put up - by people who don't really have ultra-runner builds.

The factor common to all top placers in the step challenge?  They all live in areas where it's common for people to take long train rides to commute in from the suburbs.  If you've ever worn a step counter while on a plane or train, it's amazing how many "steps" you rack up while seated due to the vibrations.

So...I don't think the top people in my own step challenge are deliberately cheating, or are racking up 100+mile weeks consistently.  I credit their "performances" to a combination of commuting practices and naivete.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Piwi good to hear from you again.

Steve Nice week

Jmac Keen bigs weeks by both of you

Flavio that was a heck of a workout yesterday way to go! Hope you get to feeling better too.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Don't assume a team of runners will win.  I am always stunned how far down I place in my company's steps challenge.  I don't crack the top 100.  Some huge #s are put up - by people who don't really have ultra-runner builds.

The factor common to all top placers in the step challenge?  They all live in areas where it's common for people to take long train rides to commute in from the suburbs.  If you've ever worn a step counter while on a plane or train, it's amazing how many "steps" you rack up while seated due to the vibrations.

So...I don't think the top people in my own step challenge are deliberately cheating, or are racking up 100+mile weeks consistently.  I credit their "performances" to a combination of commuting practices and naivete.

I certainly don't think we'll win; it's more about knowing the people on the team and that they'll actually do something. Otherwise, it'll be random selection and you could end up with someone who signed up then never logs anything. And that impacts whether or not I can get some gift cards out of this. Lots of people who would never run a 7 mile week will post double the steps I do while running 70 mpw.

I did have a guy on my team last year who started run/walking for the challenge. I know he dropped a fair amount of weight just being a bit more active, so clearly some do use it as a way to improve their health. I try using it to improve my running shoe fund by wearing out my running shoes...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Ever had a song pop in your head when running that just totally summed up how you were feeling?

Today for me that song was "I Am Hell" by Machine Head.  Still not quite feeling 100% (but not bad), had a sleep-deprived night getting kicked in the face by a toddler (mine), nasty headwind on the way out and stinky humid conditions that were more like December/January.  It's funny how the lyrics can kinda spur you on though... "I am hell today, down here all shall suffer with me" was a pretty damn good motivator for getting the most of the workout especially grinding into the wind at the start.

I'd planned to try and catch up the 10k tempo I'd missed on Wednesday due to being sick but still wasn't quite up to that so did 2x2k and 2x1k instead.  A bit of suffering around the waterfront should set me up well for 2.5 weeks time (I'll be pissed off if it's windy and humid that day though).

Flavio - damn, I need to get sponsored with that!!

Re steps challengeDon't fall into the trap of thinking that because runners cover more distance they'll have more steps either.  Takes a lot more steps to walk 1km than to run it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Just looked at Marks watches and they are incredibly expensive at $1'800 bucks thats more expensive than the most expensive Iphone and nothing is more expensive than apple products.

Wow thats a clear sign I am starting to get old when I start to think like hmmm my first polar watch was like 100 bucks why the heck should I pay 18 times that????

I cannot fly nearly enough to earn the required points on Staralliance. I will have to stick to my old Suunto watch...

First world problems...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Just looked at Marks watches and they are incredibly expensive at $1'800 bucks thats more expensive than the most expensive Iphone and nothing is more expensive than apple products.

The fenix 5 series are much better looking than that.  And it's cool and all that you can do lots of nautical stuff and race car stuff but I would need to have a boat or a race car before that was of any use.

But if they give me one for free I'll still take it.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ever had a song pop in your head when running that just totally summed up how you were feeling?

Today for me that song was "I Am Hell" by Machine Head.  Still not quite feeling 100% (but not bad), had a sleep-deprived night getting kicked in the face by a toddler (mine), nasty headwind on the way out and stinky humid conditions that were more like December/January.  It's funny how the lyrics can kinda spur you on though... "I am hell today, down here all shall suffer with me" was a pretty damn good motivator for getting the most of the workout especially grinding into the wind at the start.

I'd planned to try and catch up the 10k tempo I'd missed on Wednesday due to being sick but still wasn't quite up to that so did 2x2k and 2x1k instead.  A bit of suffering around the waterfront should set me up well for 2.5 weeks time (I'll be pissed off if it's windy and humid that day though).

Flavio - damn, I need to get sponsored with that!!

Re steps challengeDon't fall into the trap of thinking that because runners cover more distance they'll have more steps either.  Takes a lot more steps to walk 1km than to run it.

Sounds like a rough morning...and on a totally selfish note, please sort out that weather in the next 2 weeks!  The sort of workout that probably helps in the long run though.

Lately when things get tough Immortals by Kings of Leon pops into my head "find out what you are...".  I'm okay with it because it's a great song and does inspire me.

My workouts have suddenly become enjoyable and I feel good.  2x15 mins @ HMP the other night felt really comfortable and only started to hurt a bit in the last few mins.  At that point I was thinking if I felt like this with 1km to go in a race could I lift it?  The answer was definitely yes. So a good confidence boost.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

$1800 watches??? I love my gadgets and running stuff, but I can't imagine spending that much. I do however have an obsession with buying new running clothing and storing an excessive amount of shoes under my bed.

Steve - if you're finding 2x15 to be that easy, it may not be your true HMP. I think with your consistent training, you're in better shape than you think.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I was at around 4:10/km which is faster than my PB pace.  Having said that, I was also at that pace building up to this race last year.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Sounds like a rough morning...and on a totally selfish note, please sort out that weather in the next 2 weeks!  The sort of workout that probably helps in the long run though.

Lately when things get tough Immortals by Kings of Leon pops into my head "find out what you are...".  I'm okay with it because it's a great song and does inspire me.

My workouts have suddenly become enjoyable and I feel good.  2x15 mins @ HMP the other night felt really comfortable and only started to hurt a bit in the last few mins.  At that point I was thinking if I felt like this with 1km to go in a race could I lift it?  The answer was definitely yes. So a good confidence boost.

Too right!  It looks like the current humid crap, hopefully summer's last big finger to us runners, is gonna stick around until Sunday and then disappear next week with some nice typical autumn overnight temperatures of 12-14C coming through.

I won't pretend to know Kings of Leon's stuff that well but can't fault the choice of lyrics on that one.  It's actually kind of rare for music to pop into my head these days when running (which is weird because I listen to so much of it).  Anyway good news on the confidence-builder workout, those ones are golden.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - had those Maurten gels during my workout today, I’m a huge fan. Worth the extra cost, ordering a box now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - had those Maurten gels during my workout today, I’m a huge fan. Worth the extra cost, ordering a box now.

Any particular reason?  Kind of curious what they're like.  I'm fine with the SIS ones but something less bulky would be nice.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

They’re weird. It’s almost like a jello consistency. So you just chew once to break it into smaller bits, and then immediately swallow, which is nice. My current gels require you to keep them in your mouth a bit to digest before you can swallow (at race pace at least). I also completely buy into the technology they talk about. The fact that you don’t need water is awesome as well, although I think that’s true with your gels as well.

Good thing about gels is you can always just grab one of them at a store and see if you like them. If you see one at a sports store, go for it.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - Are you following the news on the World Cross Country championships? It looks like they've relaxed the entry standards this year, for men you need just a 33 min 10K, women a mere 37 min 10K. I just mention cause it might be within your reach if they keep those standards.

The course seems brutal -> https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/03/2019-world-xc-a-tour-of-the-toughest-cross-country-course-weve-ever-seen/

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly