Chest pain + feeling faint when running (Read 383 times)

Hip Redux

Well, obviously, I have no answers here.  I just know she wants to try to capture the events with the silly recorder I'm wearing - which by the way, appears to use technology from 1993 to submit the recording to the monitoring service (a land line, really?).

Hip Redux

And I need to stop googling stuff.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Yes.  Please.  For you your sake please stop googling.  You're only going to freak yourself out.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

SillyC

Oski, did they check you for costochondritis?  This is inflammation of the sternum, and it's completely harmless, but hurts.  In order to check this, and they may have, they run a finger down your sternum.  If you swear and scream at them....  you most likely have costochondritis.

You SHOULD have been checked for that, but the thing is, it's an old-school physical exam technique, and sometimes younger doctors forget that you can diagnose something with just your index finger.  Wink   And cardiologists assume that you've been checked for that.

I've had issues for ~20 years with costochondritis, and some of my physicians over the years haven't known how to look for that.

Hip Redux

You know - I actually have a friend dealing with that too and she had told me about it when I was telling her about my chest pain!  It's seemingly gone as fast as it appeared though, which doesn't make it seem like costochondritis.    

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

costochondritis does not cause TWIs.

Hip Redux

costochondritis does not cause TWIs.

That's right - but the two events don't necessarily happen at the same time.   I know that the simple answer is that they are related, but I haven't found any correlation between feeling faint and chest pain, so I appreciate the suggestion... but I agree I don't think it's that.

SillyC

Yeah, it's probably not costochondritis.  I had my first bout as a teenager, and it WAS quick and over, though - it kept happening when I rolled over in bed, and it was soooooo painful.  It was something about the way I moved my arm.  Still happens!

I also struggle with hypogylcemia - and HAVE passed out while running due to that.

So, yeah, chest pain and faintness as a teenager, and I'm pushing 40 now, and I'm still around with chest pain and occasional passing out during running.  But I've had both worked up and it turned out to be just annoying stuff.

Anyhoo - I thought I'd just jump in with that, since you've been scaring yourself with Dr. Google.  You're clearly on top of things and not resting until you get an answer.

Hip Redux

Thanks SillyC. Smile

Hip Redux

OK, well, here's a Monday update.

All the heart monitor stuff I sent in so far has been normal.  One was on the treadmill, one on the bike.  Both times I got lightheaded - the bike was really minor, but the run I did stop for a few minutes to let it pass.  Nothing on the scale of what I had before that prompted me to go to the doctor in the first place.

My thyroid stimulating hormone number was 6.24 with normal being 0.27-4.20.   My friend who has had longtime problems with her thyroid said "Wow, that's high."   Cardiologist still thinks it's a separate problem.

Unfortunately, it appears the replacement hormone they are giving me is making me very jittery.  Like... I had way too much coffee today except I haven't.  My resting pulse is usually 60ish, and it's been around 80 for most of the day.     Also, feeling pretty nauseous.   I sent in a heart monitor reading this morning while at my desk that came back normal and this is definitely a different feeling altogether from my other issues... so I have two problems and the solution for one is making me feel worse.   :/

#artbydmcbride

Are they giving you L-thyroxine?  How much? (they should start you very low at first) 25mg

Runners run

Hip Redux

Are they giving you L-thyroxine?  How much? (they should start you very low at first) 25mg

Yes - but 50 mcg (I think you meant mcgs?).  I probably should have been started lower.  Trying to get my PCP to call me back so we can discuss.

#artbydmcbride

yes, meant mcg.....

Runners run

Hip Redux

So she agrees - half a pill now for the next couple of weeks, 25 mcg.

Hip Redux

So I failed the tilt table test today.  Or maybe I passed it, depending on how you look at things.

My heart rate and BP spiked during the test.   After about 17 minutes, I started to hyperventilate and get dizzy and my heart rate jumped to 145 bpm and my BP was 155/90.  (I started with BP at 105/65 and heart rate of 64.)    Then, as quickly as it started, I was back down to normal. 

Weirdly, my BP dropped a smidge right before the spike (like 90-something/60) - the doctor mentioned "Your blood pressure looks to be dropping" and literally a second later everything went haywire - my chest was pounding and my BP jumped up.

EKG was normal through out (minus the T-wave inversion that happened when I stood up).

Blah.