Vertical Speed (Read 736 times)

ingkanit

Hi all,

it would be really useful to have a feature which extracts the vertical speed from the workout data. If you run/bike/hike up the mountain, vertical speed (e.g. 600m/hour) is much more informative than your horizontal speed.

Thanks!

#artbydmcbride

Confused

your trajectory may be vertical, but speed is still speed

Runners run

May make sense for a bike workout, but frankly useless to me as a runner.  That 600 m in a couple of miles will be much faster than say over 10 miles even though I'd be walking in the first case but likely running in the second case.

If you covered 10 miles in an hour on foot, while gaining 600m, you'd indeed be running. Well.

Runners run

Or shot from a cannon.  Is there a cannon that can shoot a person 600 m and 10 miles. I am skinny and small if that helps.

ingkanit

600m elevation difference over 10 miles (16 km) is not very steep. However whether you cover those 600m in 2km or 3km doesn't really make much of a difference, in my experience. At this gradient horizontal speed becomes virtually meaningless, only vertical speed matters. My Garmin 310xt has a data field for vertical speed that I can display during my hikes and mountain runs, but it would be very useful for me to be also able to extract that data from the GPS track later for the analysis. 

May make sense for a bike workout, but frankly useless to me as a runner.  That 600 m in a couple of miles will be much faster than say over 10 miles even though I'd be walking in the first case but likely running in the second case.

Why is it sideways?

600m elevation difference over 10 miles (16 km) is not very steep. However whether you cover those 600m in 2km or 3km doesn't really make much of a difference, in my experience. At this gradient horizontal speed becomes virtually meaningless, only vertical speed matters. My Garmin 310xt has a data field for vertical speed that I can display during my hikes and mountain runs, but it would be very useful for me to be also able to extract that data from the GPS track later for the analysis. 

This guy could use a field for vertical speed. 

By the way, his log is at RA, in case you are interested in how he logs his training for mountain running.

(Knowing him personally, he basically just guesstimates everything and fudges mileage to come out to what the flat mileage would be given the same effort.)

Kenotic Runner

When I'm running Colorado mountain trails, it would be handy for me to be knowing vertical feet per week so I can track that as well as miles per week.