Marathon Comparison (Read 956 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

@ Wrigly Girl that is a really cool link.  The best so far. 

No. No it is not. Again, those profiles totally flatten out the hills and make it very difficult to discern where there are hills that you will notice when running the race.

No. No it is not. Again, those profiles totally flatten out the hills and make it very difficult to discern where there are hills that you will notice when running the race.

I said it was the best I had seen so far!  I didn't say it was great.  To get a feel for the hills you have to have the same range or else it is hard to tell.

http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=1192110410

http://www.marathonguide.com/coursemaps/elevationchart.cfm?MIDD=508120506

I wish I could post the two but at first glance St. Louis looks a lot harder on paper then the Flying Pig until you look at the range of elevation. 

How tough hills are is all a matter of perspective.  People around here think the Flying Pig is a tough marathon and it is compared to Chicago or Columbus.  However, compared to the Flying Monkey it is a cake walk.  I would just like to be able to put other marathons in as much perspective as I can before choosing it or running it. 

Anyway, it would just be cool to have a mapping sight that allowed you to change the range level of elevation on those charts. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
      • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
      • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Kalsarikännit

No. No it is not.

Back off, jack.  There is a man trying to compliment me.

Keep it coming, BCR.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

@ srlopex

I am not a Dr Seuss character.

Keep it coming, BCR.

I would compliment you more but as an aspiring "Car Thief" it goes against all of the superhero codes.  Unless you are stealing from the rich and giving them back to the poor somehow.  Then I could compliment you more. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
            L Train

You have nice feet.

Kalsarikännit

Unless you are stealing from the rich and giving them back to the poor somehow.  

Sorry.  I'm stealing from runners.  Ever since I discovered there is a group of people that put their keys to their cars on top of their tires and then take off for a hour or more, I knew I would always have a way to support myself.

L Train, a brewery for my people!

Sorry.  I'm stealing from runners.  Ever since I discovered there is a group of people that put their keys to their cars on top of their tires and then take off for a hour or more, I knew I would always have a way to support myself.

Can you still buy running shorts that don't have a little key pocket?

Kalsarikännit

You can tie the key on using the shoelace of your new adidas running boots.

xor

Can you still buy running shorts that don't have a little key pocket?

Those little key pockets suck.

For one, they don't fit some keys.  Or the big black dongle-y things you have to have for some cars.

For two, even when you put your key in them, sometimes they fall out (not that the risk management of this should be compared to leaving your key sitting there on your tire or in your gas cap).

Which brings me to my rental car rant.  Most companies now put TWO KEYS and the dongle-y thing on a no-disconnect cable loop.  This makes for a big mass that is pretty much impossible to transport during a run unless you put it in a backpack or something.  (or hide it in your gas cap... if it fits... etc etc etc)

Those little key pockets suck.

For one, they don't fit some keys.  Or the big black dongle-y things you have to have for some cars.

For two, even when you put your key in them, sometimes they fall out (not that the risk management of this should be compared to leaving your key sitting there on your tire or in your gas cap).

Which brings me to my rental car rant.  Most companies now put TWO KEYS and the dongle-y thing on a no-disconnect cable loop.  This makes for a big mass that is pretty much impossible to transport during a run unless you put it in a backpack or something.  (or hide it in your gas cap... if it fits... etc etc etc)

I manage - but maybe my car key is smaller than some (or my key pockets bigger). Most of my shorts have zip up pockets, so the key won't fall out. I used to have a couple of pairs of shorts that lacked a key pocket - so I would tie the key onto my shoe laces. The only thing that worries me about that is if it's wet I'm not sure how well the key would cope with a good soaking.

The two key thing sounds like a pita.

I know the PIG course very well as I run it all of the time.  I've actually run the whole course three of the last two weeks.

And ran it so fast, you compressed time.

To at least try to be helpful ... the best I can think of is to see if there's a way to export the data from a GPX/CRS/WTF file or elevation map of the route, then graph multiple data on the same X-Y graph via, say, Excel.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

only 1700 feet of gain / loss and such a smooth profile - I think I am ready to attack the monkey!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

only 1700 feet of gain / loss and such a smooth profile - I think I am ready to attack the monkey!

Exactly

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Bearclaw, which do you think better represents your experience at Pig?

This?

Or this?