Encounters with Animals (Read 1435 times)

pedaling fool

Today, in the first 1/4-mile of my run, I nearly hit a hawk which had something in its talons, probably either a small kitten or rat, the tail didn't seem bushy enough to be a squirrel -- it was kind of big.

Since he could only fly in one direction from all the obstacles (houses and foliage) and he seemed not to be able to gain altitude from the weight he was carrying, he flew right in front of me, about upper shin, to knee level; I could have kicked him if I wanted.

I see a lot of hawks and owls around here and many times with dead animals, but that's the first time one flew directly at me...gave me a little bit of an adrenaline rush.

A few years ago a hawk swooped down and grabbed the top of my head with both sets of talons.

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We hit a moose, but we were in an SUV.  Incredibly scary.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I moved to a wooded area near a wildlife preserve a few months ago. I was walking around my new neighborhood checking out my new running route and a rather large deer ran across the road less than 20 feet in front of me. Didn't hear a thing. It appeared out of the trees and disappeared in the trees on the other side. Needless to say I'm constantly scanning the trees now.

Since we also have coyotes and rattlers, I hope to never have a story about one of them.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I live about 10 miles from downtown Baltimore. The local deer have gotten totally bold. One day this week I was getting ready to go out for a run. I step out on my porch and 2 deer were in the front yard, maybe 10 feet away, eating berries. They did not move when I opened the door. I really didn't feel like getting hit by a spooked deer, so DH got the remote for his truck and hit the panic button. They slowly meandered across the street, if deer can look annoyed, these did.

No encounters with the local hawk. I just see it sitting on the powerline behind our house.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

These guys are really scary over here in the UK Smile

I only really see deer and livestock on my runs.

MakRunner

Run for your life

This is me this morning. Almost bitten by a dog on two different streets.

Be blessed, be adventurous!

pedaling fool

I was doing 1/4-mile intervals on various streets around my neighborhood (thought it would be more interesting than doing around a track).

While walking past a house I see a guy coming from his backyard and out of nowhere he asked me if I was a "snake wrangler". Of course I say no, with a confused look on my face (I'm sure), he said he wasn't either, but he had a snake in his backyard and was afraid it was going to bite one of his dogs. I was planning to just keep walking on, but suddenly got a hair up my ... and said, "sure, I'll go look at it..."

It was about two ft long and I believe it was a corn snake (I'm not really a snake person). The snake was trying to get into his shed, so I pulled it gently by the tail, but it wouldn't come out, so I kept pulling it from higher and higher up its body and I was able to get it out as it attempted to get away I used a stick to stop it and a picked it up by its tail and put it in a bucket. I was actually surprised at how good at "snake wrangling" I am; I was doing this just like I've seen on TV -- I've watched a lot of Steve Irwin

Took the snake around the corner and released it into a canal. As we were taking the snake to the canal, the wife asked the man if he thought he could do this alone next time

That experience put a little spring in my step for the rest of my run

Member Since 2008

I have been bitten by dogs, scratched by cats, chased by humans (homeless) and even stalked by a very large bird I wasn't able to identify since it was very dark out.  I was once bitten by a rattle snake, though I wasn't running at the time. And yes dnephin, I killed it and it was wonderful.  I run after midnight and do quite a few runs in northern California,. Looking forward to my Bigfoot encounter.

Member Since 2008

Really?

You really shouldn't kill snakes (I'm taking it you didn't turn these fellas/gals into pets.) Obviously these ones did nothing to you and now they're dead. Snakes play an important role in the ecosystem. People fear them for no reason. Oh, and I've seen them up close and in the wild. Killing them is kinda like saying, oh, once, there was a dog not on a leash while I was running. Got him mounted on ma' door. I've seen bunnies, deer, snakes, dogs, groundhogs, and some cool birds on my runs. Heck, I even like seeing squirrels.
                      T Hound

Slower but happier

Almost stepped on this guy mile 18 of LR was not paying attention.  Not poisonous.

Fox Snake

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block