5k by July 18 (Read 68 times)

Waterman419

I'm a 47 year old male. I'm running 2 miles in 21min. Do you think it's possible for me to run 3.1 miles in under 30 min by July 18? That's my goal . If so do you think i need to focus on building my speed or distance first? Should I be running every day? I'm running on a tread every other day rite now.

It won't be easy but it will be possible. If you share your log then the more knowledgeable guys on here will be able to help you better than I can but here are my thoughts:

Step 1: Run 4+ times per week.

Step 2: Do at least half your runs outside.

Step 3: Focus mostly on just adding more miles at a comfortable pace and distance.

Step 4: Once a week run a bit longer and once per week run a bit faster...don't do these at the same time.

Step 5: Stay relaxed on race day. If you don't hit your goal it isn't a big deal; there will be more races in the future.

Step 6: Run the race.

Step 7: Have a beer.

Step 8: Repeat.

Is that 2 mile/21 min run by yourself in a training run? If so you have the 3.1 in 30 min in a race in the bag.  Race day magic is real.

Waterman419

Thanks I'll do that. Unfortunately the trash talking has already begun. I need to deliver the smack down July 18. I will create and share my running log ASAP. Thanks for any advise you or anyone has.