Worth 2x its weight in salt: Running Gear (Read 1259 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Every once in a while you come across a product that absolutely exceeds the expectations set by its packaging.  It's a product that after using it for a time, you've come to think they're selling it for half what you'd pay for it.  This is a thread to call out those products and let others know where true value can be found.

The product I'm so incredibly impressed by is the Icebreaker Sprint - Base layer long-sleeve shirt (200 weight).  It's wool.  The claims are that it won't stink after you use it.  My friend told me he works out in a gym for 2hrs and then throws it on the chair to wear it the next day without it stinking.  I thought, "yeah, right."  I've had this one shirt that I've basically worn all winter long.   I wash it on Sunday after my LSD, then wear it 5 days a week.  It doesn't stink at all.  Amazing. (I don't know about you, but all those "dry-fit" polyester tech shirts come to stink after wearing it for 5 mins).

It's also has all the usual miracle properties of wool: warm in cool weather, warm when wet, dries fast.  I can't say if it is cool is warm weather yet.  Also, it doesn't itch.  About the only thing not to like is that it gets heavy when wet.  And that was really only noticeable in the tights I got because of an order-mix-up.

Also, most of them are sized for a tight fit (base layer), so bloody nips aren't a problem.  Sleeves are long, with holes for thumbs.

They're pretty expensive:

http://us.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-US-Site/default/Home-Show

I get mine for cheap at Sierra Trading Post (though that particular shirt is out of stock right now):

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~icebreaker-men/?perPage=24

I couldn't be happier with this product.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Why is it sideways?

I love mine, too. I have a 150 weight that I wear on pretty much all of my cold weather runs. Pricey, but totally worth it.

xhristopher

I've been running the entire winter in Smartwool and agree with everything you said. I'll probably try Icebreaker next. It was a big commitment for me to spend that much on a shirt but I liked it so much I went out and got more. It's an investment. Eventually I'll make it up in the money I'll save not buying band-aids for the nips.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the tip, I may try it.  I don't mind "investments" in running clothing, I pretty much wear things until they have holes in them...I have synthetic shirts that are 10 years old that I still run in regularly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No Talent Drips

Just another echo...

My go to marathon shirt is a short sleeve 150 from icebreaker. No chafe & warm weather is no problem.

Dei Gratia

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ibex stuff is really sweet, too.  I have a couple of merino cycling jerseys that I adore (one is Ibex, one is a brand that I don't remember off the top of my head).  Hubby just picked up a pair of Ibex merino cycling tights that he's in love with, as well.  The stuff sure ain't cheap, but it's pretty nice, especially in terms of the stink thing.

I will say that I don't find wool to wick as well as synthetics, though.  I find that for running I'm not as fond of my wool baselayer tops as I am the synthetic ones.  The wool ones get pretty soaked, then I still end up feeing a little clammy.  I like the wool better if I wear it over a snugger-fitting synthetic layer.  I sweat like a horse...YMMV.  I still won't wear anything but wool on my feet.  I've yet to find a synthetic sock that I like--for running or biking.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Merino base layers are great - I'm not sure the brand matters too much. I have a some by two or three different companies and they're all pretty good. Also merino lining gloves, underwear, long-johns, hats... more or less anywhere you want something reasonably warm next to your skin when you exercise.

It does have to be pretty cold to use this stuff for running - but walking, skiing...

Thanks, stadjak.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Kalsarikännit

I spent two months in the Himalayas with two short sleeve wicking shirts.  One was always on.  They were rarely washed (it is just too damn cold up high).  The merino wool one never stank.  Ever.  I agree with Zoomy, though.  It didn't dry as fast as the other standard technical one, and could stay damp and clammy.  The other great thing about it was that when my clothes were washed, they were washed in the traditional way for the area.  I would rub it down with a bar of laundry soap and then it was vigorously rubbed against a flat rock.  While this get clothes a billion times cleaner than a washing machine, it is really rough on the fabric.  I was worried about everything else except this shirt.  It looks as good as it did the day I bought it.  It's a trooper.  I bought it on steep and cheap.  You have to keep your eye on it, but the deals are really unbelievable.

Back to the OP's question, what running gear is two times its weight in salt?  Dirty Girl gaiters.  When I bought them they were $12 including shipping.  I think it is $15 now.  I have had the same pair for 5 years.  I can't imagine how much time they have saved me in (trail) races, not having to dump stones out of my shoes.  I love that this is such a tiny company, started by one woman who made them for herself then started giving them away to friends.  Now if you look around at trail races you see them covering the feet of a large percentage of the racers.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Steep and Cheap is good, as are all of the other Backcountry.com clearance sites (Real Cyclist, Department of Goods, Chainlove, Bonktown).  Paying full retail is for schmucks! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

How does the sizing run on these shirts? I'm usually an L or XL depending on the brand.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How does the sizing run on these shirts? I'm usually an L or XL depending on the brand.

Not sure about their baselayer stuff, but the Ibex jersey I have is a men's M and fits more like I'd expect a men's S to fit.  I have a couple of Smartwool tops and the women's models seem to run true to size.  Can't speak to how the men's stuff fits, though.

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

The product I'm so incredibly impressed by is the Icebreaker Sprint - Base layer long-sleeve shirt (200 weight).  It's wool.  The claims are that it won't stink after you use it.  My friend told me he works out in a gym for 2hrs and then throws it on the chair to wear it the next day without it stinking.  I thought, "yeah, right."  I've had this one shirt that I've basically worn all winter long.   I wash it on Sunday after my LSD, then wear it 5 days a week.  It doesn't stink at all.  Amazing. (I don't know about you, but all those "dry-fit" polyester tech shirts come to stink after wearing it for 5 mins).

I wear Icebreaker to work with my dress pants.  and i wear the same shirt to run in (wore it in 50K a few weeks ago in fact).  While I do wash it between running and wearing to work, I have worn it for days in a row (not for running) without washing it.  It's like a magic shirt.  I get mine from a friend who has a prodeal.  Awesome.  

The Icebreaker baselayer and Bodyfit line are form fitting. I bought my feller a mid-layer top kind of like this one. I got his usual size and it fit perfectly. Then he put it in the dryer, it shrunk a little, and the fit is more hubba hubba. The chest (on the shirt, that is), before shrinkage, was 40" around.

Best Present Ever

The Icebreaker baselayer and Bodyfit line are form fitting. I bought my feller a mid-layer top kind of like this one. I got his usual size and it fit perfectly. Then he put it in the dryer, it shrunk a little, and the fit is more hubba hubba. The chest (on the shirt, that is), before shrinkage, was 40" around.

I find them incredibly tiny.  Most people I know size up, at least with the women's sizing.  I don't know about the men's.