2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

WAY TO GO! Much better than the 5 minute cushion you wanted. Awesome day.

Also kudos out to darkwave for her half (something like 94 minutes) and rlk who I assume lurks but spends more time training than socializing with the likes of me. Wink

Looking forward to the report(s) as usual.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Oh, and congratulations to Darkwave and to Elizabeth for their awesome half marathon PRs.  Nice to see such great racing from the women in this group!  (Don't look at me for any.)

Also kudos out to darkwave for her half (something like 94 minutes) and rlk

I'm sure dw was 84min (never a bad race for that girl).  A 1/2M PR for rlk?  details?   And again, way to go Lauren.

Looking forward to 3 RRs.

... and nice running kcam!   Seems a bit soon for a fullM for you, but what do I know? ... and ilana - how about some weeklies? ... and OMR?  ... and anyone else who is of a certain age

kcam

Yep, I'd like to see some race reports too!  Congrats DW on the 1:24.

Rovatti, I am likely to defer CIM to next year.  My LRs are going swimmingly so I think I could handle the distance but I just don't really feel the need to run one so soon especially if I'm gonna run a disappointing-to-me time.  Rather train like I'm running the marathon but don't run it.

CIM Deferral Program

The 2019 deferral window will open 10/28/19 and close 11/15/19

I'll have a 18 day window soon to make my decision.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm sure dw was 84min (never a bad race for that girl).  A 1/2M PR for rlk?  details?   And again, way to go Lauren.

Looking forward to 3 RRs.

... and nice running kcam!   Seems a bit soon for a fullM for you, but what do I know? ... and ilana - how about some weeklies? ... and OMR?  ... and anyone else who is of a certain age

Facepalm. Didn’t proof read that. Rlk did shorter than a half marathon this weekend. Also, apologies for slowing dwave down by 10 minutes due to not proofreading. So much excitement.

Dwave I agree with those saying this race should be great motivation. Personally a reason I don’t like racing before my goal race is fear of underperforming and it sabotaging my training. Also performing so some online calculator says I’ll hit my goal time and gaining too much confidence. Plus I’m cheap.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Lauren - huge congratulations.  That is just an awesome performance - excellent all around, and you should be thrilled!

As for me, ran 84:08 for a small PR at Columbus.  A PR is a PR, but I wasn't happy with it.  Just didn't feel right, and ran out of gas during the race.  Some of it was almost certainly due to a combo of asthma and IBD issues - I'm hoping that's most of the reason, and that this isn't representative of my fitness.

Race report here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

... and ilana - how about some weeklies?

Well, I just got back last Sunday from three weeks in Catalonia during which I hiked and walked quite a bit but ran not at all (not to mention, ate and drank way too much delicious Spanish food and wine), so my weeklies are going to be pretty weakly for a while as I ramp back up.  I did manage 15 miles in four runs (two road, two trail) last week.

Before going to Spain I ran the Reach the Beach relay and it went pretty well, so I am contemplating a winter/early spring half marathon somewhere.  Maybe Atlanta, since I know a lot of people who will be doing either the half or full, and it will be fun to watch the Olympic Trials marathon.  (That was part of my motivation for doing Houston in 2010!)

Speed Surplus

*delurks*

Congrats to Lauren, Darkwave, and possibly RLK!

*relurks*

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Awesome job and great pacing! That's certainly one to be proud of.

DWave - Great job getting the PR, even if it wasn't the time you were looking for. Looking forward to reading the RR.

Brew - I'd think that an all-out 10k would help with confidence, get just a bit more experience with the "feel" of racing, and would provide some benefits in the LT and VO2Max areas. Remember: a bad race is just that - it happens to everyone and isn't indicative of fitness. But the only way to get a stellar result is for it to actually be physically/mentally possible for you. There's no way to fake a good race.

Ilana - Catalonia is a place I'd like to visit eventually - I liked seeing your hikes in the area. Glad you had a great time.

RWOL import tool broken?
                    82.86mi last week, though without a single run over HM distance. Did a solo 5000m on the track (new PR!) Monday to help verify intensities/paces for training and paced the Hot Chocolate 15k in town at almost M-effort Sunday. It seems like the past week was really down on quality, so I'm trying to make that up this week. Feels a bit odd that I'm disappointed in an 80+ mile week.

ETA: I picked up a pair of VF 4% FKs over the summer when I found a one-off sale that just happened to have my size remaining. I tried them on for size when they showed up and put them back on the shelf and didn't touch them before putting them on for the pacing gig Sunday (I figured I'd test them there, then wear them for my half and full races coming up). OH MY GOODNESS. Spring shoes is right, compared to what I'm used to. They feel super-weird to walk in and to run in to start - could definitely feel the action of the plate. After the first mile or so I got used to them and they didn't feel all that different under foot.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Wing

Joggaholic

Congrats Lauren and DK!

Running Problem

Problem Child

ETA: I picked up a pair of VF 4% FKs over the summer when I found a one-off sale that just happened to have my size remaining. I tried them on for size when they showed up and put them back on the shelf and didn't touch them before putting them on for the pacing gig Sunday (I figured I'd test them there, then wear them for my half and full races coming up). OH MY GOODNESS. Spring shoes is right, compared to what I'm used to. They feel super-weird to walk in and to run in to start - could definitely feel the action of the plate. After the first mile or so I got used to them and they didn't feel all that different under foot.

WHAT?!?!?! How did I miss this? Those are like $250 shoes! I (believe) I have the non-4% version of the fly knit.

Did the shoe feel loose to you? To me it still feels like my foot is going to slip off the sole when I plant in a turn.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

If anyone can point me to a site that's selling the original VF 4% (NOT FLYKNIT) in men's size 12, it would be much appreciated.

I had the Zoom Fly flyknit and my foot moves too much in the flyknit at high speeds - causes heat and friction on my sole. It's because my right foot is a bit smaller than my left, so the size 12 is perfect for the left, but too small for right.

With a traditional upper this isn't usually a problem, but I can't find the VF 4% with a traditional upper anywhere Sad

I guess I better hurry up and get a Next% before they restrict that one to Flyknit-only, too...

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

If anyone can point me to a site that's selling the original VF 4% (NOT FLYKNIT) in men's size 12, it would be much appreciated.

I had the Zoom Fly flyknit and my foot moves too much in the flyknit at high speeds - causes heat and friction on my sole. It's because my right foot is a bit smaller than my left, so the size 12 is perfect for the left, but too small for right.

With a traditional upper this isn't usually a problem, but I can't find the VF 4% with a traditional upper anywhere Sad

I guess I better hurry up and get a Next% before they restrict that one to Flyknit-only, too...

Check the Nike outlet. If you find a pair of 4% in a size 10.5 I'll take them. I need to see what this magic is about.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

WHAT?!?!?! How did I miss this? Those are like $250 shoes! I (believe) I have the non-4% version of the fly knit.

Did the shoe feel loose to you? To me it still feels like my foot is going to slip off the sole when I plant in a turn.

They WERE $250 shoes, but I snagged them for $150 - at that price they were close enough to what I paid for my last marathoning shoes I couldn't resist the temptation to see what the hype is all about. They didn't have your size left when I got mine or I would have let you know - they were down to 12.5's and 13's, I think.

They didn't feel loose to me at all - very slipper-like, if you will. Much more secure than my go-to Escalantes, kinda like the Kayenta, if anyone else has tried those. None of the turns were sharper than 90*, though, so it may have felt different taking a tighter turn.

I had a bit of a hot spot at the ends of the toes on my left foot later that afternoon (didn't notice it during or immediately after the race) so I may need to slather on some trail toes or something before the real races - or maybe I should have gone up half a size.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kcam

82.86mi last week, though without a single run over HM distance. Did a solo 5000m on the track (new PR!) Monday to help verify intensities/paces for training and paced the Hot Chocolate 15k in town at almost M-effort Sunday. It seems like the past week was really down on quality, so I'm trying to make that up this week. Feels a bit odd that I'm disappointed in an 80+ mile week.

Nice!!! 5000m TT in 18:25 (I'm assuming you ran that solo? Even better if so).  Solid 70- 85 mile training weeks.  I think you have some big PRs waiting out there.  18-18:30 5K shape for me meant 37:50/1:23/2:55.  What's your racing schedule look like?

BTW, don't try to 'make up' missed workouts and quality runs. 🙂