Anybody ever "RWI" or register while intoxicated, for a race? (Read 207 times)

Runslowalksalot

I did this last night while watching football.   I have a habit of PWI,   many beers in, I went web surfing and signed up for a paddleboard race that I am ill equipped for.   I've been running so much training for my 1/2, that I have been paddling only once a week at best.   It's an ocean start, sound finish, and I have a mediocre race board.   Conditions last year were brutal, lots of carnage at the start and several DNFs due to wind.

I know, it's not registering for a marathon on no training, and I'll finish, hopefully, but it'll be like running a trail race in expedition hiking boots.    This morning It got me wondering if anyone else had done this.   Lets hear your  survival, and "less than" stories.

I was mistaken.  I thought "RWI" meant "Running While Intoxicated".

Actually, maybe you are right now that I think on it.    Running after drinking is known as "Running Under the Influence", or "RUI".  

Have I RWI'd before?  No.  But I have RUI'd before.  Wink

---The story is the usual one:  Pre-race get together the night before.  I drank 5 beers and I am only about a 3-beer guy.  Woke up the next morning with a headache (probably a dehydration headache), went to the half-marathon start feeling like crap, and set a new PR.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Sultan of slug

Running the night after drinking: Surprisingly excellent. I had 4 pints on the night before a great 10k and again the night before a great 8k. I broke the tradition before my last marathon - I had a single pear cider (what was I thinking) - and I crashed and burned and also injured myself.

I learned my lesson after the marathon: Always, always have at least 2 pints of Port City Optimal Wit the night before a race.

registering while intoxicated?  Once, but it did set me off on 8 decent weeks to prepare for a race i'd paid for (hate spending money on races if I'm not going to go there to race).  Ran OK.

Racing while intoxicated?  Yes.  But no PR for me.  Finished DFL in a college meet and immediately puked under the bleachers.  But they put the meet on my birthday.  What did they expect?

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

If I were sober, I wouldn't be signing up for these things!  Smile

Zelanie

If I were sober, I wouldn't be signing up for these things!  Smile

At least you know the answer, when you're standing at the starting line wondering WTF you were thinking signing up for this!

At least you know the answer, when you're standing at the starting line wondering WTF you were thinking signing up for this!

I always feel GREAT at the starting line.  It is usually several miles into it that I start asking myself that "WTF" question. Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Signing up at a bar when drunk is how I got into my first 10k and thus running!!

Thanks Underwear Affair 2010!! Big grin

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Zelanie

I am exactly the opposite.

I always feel GREAT at the starting line.  It is usually several miles into it that I start asking myself that "WTF" question. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yup. At a bar with friends who run.... "You should TOTALLY run this race with us tomorrow!" Sounded like a great idea while drinking. A less great idea the next morning.

As for running while intoxicated that used to be my favorite thing in college. I wasn't even a runner then. I would never run sober. But drunk.....it was on.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

---The story is the usual one:  Pre-race get together the night before.  I drank 5 beers and I am only about a 3-beer guy.  Woke up the next morning with a headache (probably a dehydration headache), went to the half-marathon start feeling like crap, and set a new PR.

This is how I have my current HM PR. Except I had about 12 beers and a bunch of ribs and sausage. One of the benefits of being 260lbs is that too many beers counts as fuel Smile

I never registered drunk though. I usually have to ask permission from the wife before i sign up for anything.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas