Good Parade Magazine article abt Veterans (Read 396 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

http://www.parade.com/news/veterans/articles/six-vets-six-wars.html

As a two tour Vietnam veteran (Seabees - Navy Mobile Construction Battalions) I appreciated this article.

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Thanks Bob- it makes you appreciate what we have. A lot of folks have paid the ultimate price.

Here's a favorite quote of mine to think about.

We have men of science, too few men of God. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount. The world has achieved brilliance without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.   General Omar Bradley from 1948

I'll be at our  American legion this Friday playing trombone with the local band- I usually  do that as well as memorial day with them- patriotic tunes and Sousa marches.

(1968 I was in Korea , US Army)

My hat is off to our vets!  Thank you for your service.

The way Vietnam vets were treated when they returned was a shameful thing - and I am not blameless.  At the very least, I was unappreciative.  But for drawing a high number in Nixon's draft lottery, I would have been a soldier too.  Those of you who weren't around during the Vietnam war may not understand how badly our nation was torn apart by it.

MTA: Chuck, I'm happy to play the Salute to Veterans concert each year with our local municipal band.

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.