Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Aug. 1... 8:11

Aug. 4... 6:57

Aug.8.....6:37

Aug. 15....6:28

Aug. 28.... 6:19

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff-ism: Run a lot, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

Fixed

I was running about 35 miles a week in 2008 and much of my reading tells me more miles makes a faster runner. Well in my track club I met this 45 year old woman who cold run faster than me and she was surprised I was running so many miles. She said she ran about 20 miles per week. That made me even more perplexed and I put in 40 plus mile weeks and still could not keep up with her. 

She was better than you off twenty miles a week...your point? I can't tell, but it almost seems like your trying to use this as an excuse to not put in more miles. Sounds to me like back in 08' when you were putting in better mileage is right around when you finally cracked 20 for the 5k. 

There is no doubt these bunches of fast miles are making me fast much faster than a regular training program. 

Sure, for a short while, as you pick up some anaerobic adaptations and become more economical at higher speeds and pain tolerance, but usually after just a few weeks of this the improvement tends to come to a halt quickly. 

I don't understand your training at all. An easy 1 mile run? A tempo ran that lasts 7 minutes? Are you trying to see exactly how little training you can break 6 off of? I'm just confused here since so far you haven't indicated any reasons why you are doing such low mileage. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Zortrium

As mikeymike previously noted, Michigan basically just likes to try running fast on very low mileage.  If that's what he enjoys, more power to him.  I think he's well aware from everyone in this thread droning on that he'd get better results if he started putting in actual mileage.

As mikeymike previously noted, Michigan basically just likes to try running fast on very low mileage.  If that's what he enjoys, more power to him.  I think he's well aware from everyone in this thread droning on that he'd get better results if he started putting in actual mileage.

Ah okay, makes sense now. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I know I need to learn the secrets to running the oval.

The secret is to turn left.  Good luck, we're all rooting for you.  It's a hell of an accomplishment to make it a little over 4 laps around a 400m oval without getting lost but we know you can do it.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I love Michigan Flyer threads.

I agree.  This is my first one, and I love it!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

The secret is to turn left.  Good luck, we're all rooting for you.  It's a hell of an accomplishment to make it a little over 4 laps around a 400m oval without getting lost but we know you can do it.

Someone should put lines on that thing so you know where to go...

MTA:

left turn only

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Really?  They kinda get on my nerves.  I mean, I'm running about the same mileage as MF (current calf injury notwithstanding), but at least I'm not pretending like I can accomplish anything doing next to nothing.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Really?  They kinda get on my nerves.  I mean, I'm running about the same mileage as MF (current calf injury notwithstanding), but at least I'm not pretending like I can accomplish anything doing next to nothing.

That's why I love it!  Not the get-on-your-nerves part, but the part about accomplishing something while trying to do next to nothing.

And I love this one simply for the fact that it's to antithetical to almost everything we see here.  We have people striving to run ultras, a thread where someone breaks 100 mpw, and just the general idea that if you run more, you'll probably run faster.  And yet, this thread is based on trying to run fast on a very modest amount of miles. To top it off, it's being done on a treadmill, presumably, somewhere in Michigan where I assume the weather is similar to like what we are having here in Wisconsin:  perfect for running.

As much as I love it, it can't hold a candle to an sj thread, though.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I've been lurking, and enjoy MF's  "experiment of one"  threads. GOOD LUCK!

Why is it sideways?

MF is totally annoying, but he gets great responses.

Plus, his handle is "Michigan Flyer." Isn't that some kind of toy wagon?

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

MF is totally annoying, but he gets great responses.

It is actually a charter busing company.

But that is not where I got my screen name Joking

Come on there was another poster on here I forget his name who would run like 15 miles per week and blast 5:20 opening miles in his 5ks. I need to go back to the sub 20 thread to see what his screen name is. I am just trying to get close to sub 6 then I will start my real training in October to get ready for racing in the Spring 2012.

I have heard that if you train for distance you will be able to run the short runs faster. Well I am training for the short runs and I figure my long times will come down as well. Probably not for the half marathon distance but for the 5k probably is true.

I wanted to grab a bunch of others to shoot for the 6 minute mile with me but I have no takers and am surprised.

The 6:19 effort last night was surprisingly not that awful. I actually ran another 1/2 mile in 3:54 to finish 1.5 miles in 10:13.

I listed that half mile as a tempo run on my calendar just because it was not an easy effort so I don't know what else to put it under.

I am getting so many haters and so many admirers in the same thread I feel I have to start videotaping some runs now to get my 15 minutes of fame extended! I would like to run more miles but now it is almost like if I put in 20-30 mile weeks and break 6 then some of you will post "We told you all you had to do was run more miles and you would break 6"... so now that the times keep falling it is tempting to stay at 10 mpw!

But seriously does a 6:20 miles once every week or two really take that much out of you? A 5k probably would take something out of you but not a mile! I suppose I am going to smash through the sub 6 mark in September if I put any training in at all. The next goal will be to beat 5:50 as that is my 1600 meter record officially (ok thats short of a mile).. I ran a 5:48 on the treadmill once with a 1% grade which translates to a 5:51 mile.

I will make an effort to get a mile time trial on the track 1609.xx meters and try to get a good videotape of it so you can see my quest.

I should be able to get it in sometime this weekend.