Hallux limitus (Read 130 times)

sheardmd

While training for my first half-marathon at the beginning of this year I started having pain on the top of my foot.  It got pretty bad to the point that it was painful to run.  This only started when I got to about the 10 mile mark on my long runs.  After my half I went the podiatrist and was diagnosed with Hallux limitus and the beginnings of a bone spur.  Dr recommended custom orthotics $350, which my insurance does not cover and oral steroids or an injection.  I chose the oral steroids and decided to try an OTC orthotic and the oral steroid.  Things improved and I assumed were back to normal.  Fast forward to now, I am training for my 2nd half and am up to the 10 mile long run and it is hurting again.  Anyone have any recommendations/ideas?

How is the pain when not running, specifically when not wearing shoes?  I have twice inexplicably (no obvious injury) developed a very painful area on the top of my foot which turned out to be tendinitis from a tight spot in my shoes.  The pain was noticeably increased while I was wearing shoes, thus my initial question.  The first time it took me awhile to figure out the problem, but loosing the lacing cleared up the problem in a week.  The second time around, I suspected the same issue and ended up just retiring those shoes.  Again, the pain cleared up in a week.

Chantilly75

There are many physio exercises on Youtube for foot/toe problems.

Hallux limitus can be stretched....  gradually and gently.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have issues with my big toe joint, though I think it is more metarsalgia related...I can say that my custom orthotics are the difference between night and day.  I don't particularly like adding weight to my shoes, but without them it's always in pain.  With them, I have zero pain.  They may be worth saving up for over time.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I have a mild form of this, have been rehabbing with the exercises I found online, and have seen an improvement although the range of motion is still limited compared to the other foot.

Leah, mother of dogs

Yes.  Get ready for it to suck.  I have had it for years.

• Steroid injections can give me 6 months of relief, but it always goes back to square one. 
              • I have tried stretching with minimal success (the bone spur serves a purpose, namely preventing further damage). 
              • I often take anti-inflammatories and ice the toe after runs, but neither has been very effective. 
              • Running up hills, particularly steep ones, exacerbates the pain, but I don't live in Nebraska.
              • I was told to try more "rigid" shoes, but my body doesn't likes those kinds of shoes and I ended up with more serious hip issues.  I run in flexible/minimalist type shoes because I prefer the tradeoff of a sore toe over bad hips.  I have not tried orthotics, though, for the same reason that I no longer even consider "rigid" shoes. 
              • I tried capsaicin (sp), but that burned like hell.
              • I've had two doctors tell me that surgery will only be temporarily effective because the joint is arthritic and I should wait until the pain is intolerable.
              • The one thing that I believe has helped is tart cherry juice (whether it's real or psychosomatic, I don't know and don't care).  Other than that, it just hurts and I begrudgingly accept that. 

While training for my first half-marathon at the beginning of this year I started having pain on the top of my foot.  It got pretty bad to the point that it was painful to run.  This only started when I got to about the 10 mile mark on my long runs.  After my half I went the podiatrist and was diagnosed with Hallux limitus and the beginnings of a bone spur.  Dr recommended custom orthotics $350, which my insurance does not cover and oral steroids or an injection.  I chose the oral steroids and decided to try an OTC orthotic and the oral steroid.  Things improved and I assumed were back to normal.  Fast forward to now, I am training for my 2nd half and am up to the 10 mile long run and it is hurting again.  Anyone have any recommendations/ideas?

I have issues with my big toe joint, though I think it is more metarsalgia related...I can say that my custom orthotics are the difference between night and day.  I don't particularly like adding weight to my shoes, but without them it's always in pain.  With them, I have zero pain.  They may be worth saving up for over time.

I balked at the price as well, but finally went for them- night and day does indeed describe the difference.