5 hour energy? (Read 6325 times)

nextyearcubs

Anyone ever use this stuff while running? I've used it to stay up late when I haven't gotten much sleep (I work midnights) and it works OK, makes me a touch jittery, but not as much as other energy drinks. I do notice more energy and a gradual letdown, not the crash you get with coffee. But I've never used it for a run, and I wonder if anyone here has. I wonder if its safe (ie, will it negatively effect the run), and if so, does it have any benefit. I don't feel I need more energy when I run normally, but maybe it'd help on those days when you just drag. I might experiment with it, but I'm curious to see if anyone else has been there.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Tried it, for some reason the stuff has absolutely no affect on me. I tried drinking one five different times before a long run and it had no effect at all. Naturally I had to try 2 one morning.........Still no effect at all. The cashier at the phcy told me about getting the shakes and being all jittery. It didn't happen to me. which really has me puzzled. No my training runs weren't any faster and no I didn't feel like I had more energy.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

If anyone has some advice, I'd kind of like to hear the answer to this one, too. Doesn't it supposedly have lots of B vitamins, no sugar, no caffeine? I've never tried it, but thought about it....

Life is Good

I have used it several times, on long runs and it works for me, I'm not any faster, it's not a miracle drug Yes but it does give you a little boost..red bulls and the like make me sick to my stomach and actually give me headaches, best advise I can give you" give it a try and see what works for you" everyone reacts different to this stuff.

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

I've also tried it. Did give me a little boost. Maybe more of a mental boost then anything else.

Imminent Catastrophe

If anyone has some advice, I'd kind of like to hear the answer to this one, too. Doesn't it supposedly have lots of B vitamins, no sugar, no caffeine? I've never tried it, but thought about it....

It has 138 mg caffeine, about like a large coffee.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Menace to Sobriety

Doesn't Lance Armstrong endorse this stuff?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

harkath

If you want something for running. Stick to what most runners use. GU or Power Bar Gel Blasts

I've tried it for running, work, and standardized tests and never felt anything with it alone. But I haven't felt any effect from an "energy drink" since I spent a summer drinking Bawls when I was injured.

My friend had a deadly mixture of a full can of monster, 2 5 hour energy shots, and a redbull, into his nalgene bottle. I tried it one day.. it cost about $9, and I don't think $9 is worth the 20 minutes of sick feeling after finishing it off. He claims it helped him with his pole vaulting.

I'm thinking energy drinks like these aren't what runners should be looking for.

Menace to Sobriety

My friend had a deadly mixture of a full can of monster, 2 5 hour energy shots, and a redbull, into his nalgene bottle. I tried it one day.. it cost about $9, and I don't think $9 is worth the 20 minutes of sick feeling after finishing it off. He claims it helped him with his pole vaulting.

I'm surprised he needed a pole after that.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

tried it for the first time before my last marathon. huge PR by 12 minutes. no ill effects. did seem to make me a little wired before the gun, but don't know that helped or hinderd my effort.

I'll do it next time for my sub 3:00 attempt this fall.

Get off my porch

Anyone ever use this stuff while running?I.

To be honest, i've never ran for 5 hours straight. 

I did take one at the midpoint of my 1st Marathon.  On face value does not seem like good idea, but reading a lot of Marathon gurus drink cofee right before marathon figured would not hurt and needed any edge I could get.

Did not want to take at the start as did not want to be too jacked up for the first half.  Plan was to pickup at 1/2 mark when passed family and keep until 17 - 18 miles and take to help fight off the wall.  Not wanting to carry it for 4 - 5 more miles I took at about 13.5 miles.

Not sure if that helped at all as I held pretty strong through 22 - 23 before hitting the wall.  Being first marathon not sure if would have felt better or worse without taking the 5 hr energy.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I let my 14-year-old son try it Tuesday, because I had the feeling he would hate it.  He did get energized!  He worked on digging a huge hole at the beach for 3 hours non-stop.  Then he crashed on the way home and didn't want to do the 3-mile run on his XC training schedule.  I made him do it, anyway!  I don't think he will try that again.  He's 5'-9" tall and weighs 160 pounds, so the effect wasn't due to his small size, either.
                                not the crash you get with coffee.

There is no crash with coffee.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka