Daily running? (Read 1399 times)

Computer Man

Hey guys,

I see a lot of people on here that say they run 3-4 times a week.  I have been running daily after work for a while and was curious if there is a reason some of you guys that are marathon runners don't do it daily.

Is it a health reason(injuries and such)?  or is it an "I just don't have time" thing?  I don't want to keep doing something that is going to hurt me so I figured I'd ask Smile

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." :)

Shoe

There is nothing wrong with running daily.

I run most days.  If my body says to give it a break, or timing comes in to make it impossibly difficult, I will, but not just because. 

Feeling the growl again

If I had time and heat tolerance, I'd run 10 times in 7 days.  Compare that to what is in my log, and the answer is intuitive.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jeffdonahue

Nothing wrong with running every day, we even have a group for it.  I would say that those fast marathoners that dont run every day, also dotn take that many days off either - but rest on a day they cant fit it in, or think their body needs the rest day.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/mileaday/streak

Computer Man

3 years!!!  How is that possible??  Doesn't that guy ever get sick?  or go on vacation? or get hurt? haha

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared." :)

an amazing likeness

To generalize...a good number of folks arrive at the opposite of what you fear.  That is, they find running every (or most) days reduces injuries and down time.  Building that base and sustaining it leads to less problems.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

3 years!!!  How is that possible??  Doesn't that guy ever get sick?  or go on vacation? or get hurt? haha

3 years is nothing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hill#Streak Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And then there's the folks with streaks that extend more than 40 years of daily running:

http://runeveryday.com/lists/USRSA-Active-List.html

JimR

If I had time and heat tolerance, I'd run 10 times in 7 days.  Compare that to what is in my log, and the answer is intuitive.

Same here.  My runs have been screwed up all year, too much going on.  I'd rather be doing 10-12 a week but some weeks I've barely gotten 2 or 3 in.  What's worse, when I miss a couple of days in a row, that's when running gets less comfortable.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

i do try to run every day.

however, it is more about calorie burning 

than training.   i've been 50 pounds over weight  

a couple times and never want to go back there

again!

steph  

I'm hardly an expert here ---- but my running started getting a lot better when I started running every day.....

7 times per week ---- recently, I have been experimenting with 8 runs per week (double on Thursday) and plan to continue and actually hope to get my running up to 10 times in 7 days......Not sure if I will or can....

BUT, back to the original question, I find that I feel better, run better and progress more if I go out every day......many (most) of those days are easy and sometimes REALLY Easy, but thats what the book says....go lots of miles and mostly easy.... 

Champions are made when no one is watching

jeffdonahue

Sick - worst I had was the flu once pretty bad, but I actually had to get out of bed to go down to city hall to get a zoning variance anyway, so since I was up, I ran a quick mile.

Vacation - Best time to run, love running in new places

Hurt - Once in a while I have an injury, but nothing so bad I cant get through a mile for a few days to rest it up and ice it.

For me, it has always been about keeping consistency.  Prior to running every day (streaking) I would skip a day, then that became two, then three - the next thign I knew I hadnt run in a week and a half.  Now its not a matter of "IF" i'm going to run, its just when and how far.  So before bed every night I plan it out in my head - most of my runs are done before work, but if I cant do that then I mentally plan out a few other tiems I could squeeze it in. 

Plus, I have a very understanding wife.

Computer Man

Sick - worst I had was the flu once pretty bad, but I actually had to get out of bed to go down to city hall to get a zoning variance anyway, so since I was up, I ran a quick mile.

Vacation - Best time to run, love running in new places

Hurt - Once in a while I have an injury, but nothing so bad I cant get through a mile for a few days to rest it up and ice it.

For me, it has always been about keeping consistency.  Prior to running every day (streaking) I would skip a day, then that became two, then three - the next thign I knew I hadnt run in a week and a half.  Now its not a matter of "IF" i'm going to run, its just when and how far.  So before bed every night I plan it out in my head - most of my runs are done before work, but if I cant do that then I mentally plan out a few other tiems I could squeeze it in. 

Plus, I have a very understanding wife.

Damn man that is crazy, maybe i'm just a whiner sometimes but when I am sick I'm not moving I'm stuck in bed all day, and on my vacation I need to start packing my running stuff!  Your right I never even thought of exploring while I run. 

Computer Man

btw i didn't realize jeff that you where the one that posted the link to the daily running group haha