2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

I have moderate-to-severe asthma (that's what they call it), am allergic to a whole slew of stuff, and have a bunch of auto-immune issues to boot, including Ulcerative Colitis.   I have not, as of yet, been diagnosed with hypochondria.  The asthma and allergies are managed fairly well with medication (all carefully checked to ensure it's allowed under WADA/USADA);  

Just popping in here to ask - which asthma/allergy meds are allowed, and which are not? I am at no risk of participating in anything that would subject me to testing, but just curious.

Dave

kramrunner

Mark, 38yrs old Irish expat living the scientist life in Michigan. Started running 10yrs back and death marched my first marathon in 3:52 8yrs ago.

Count me back on board for the spring season after being sidelined with various life stuff over the autumn. I have signed up for Toledo again where I ran 2:52 last spring. Not sure what my goal is, though I hope to be able to PR, so something under 2:49 and a solid base for an assault on 2:40 at Indy in the autumn is the plan.

All of this is hugely dependent on my body, which has been resisting my efforts to make much progress with various injuries continuously plaguing me over the past couple of years. I'm currently nursing a mildly sore knee after tripping while running in the dark a couple of weeks pre-xmas. Though on the plus side, I appear to have finally gotten a year long bout of PF under control. Of course, this has just been doing mileage, so I've yet to be convinced I can hold up to workouts and such.

Also, huge thanks and congrats to Jack for raising the bar.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My name is Mikkey and I’ll be 54 in a couple of weeks time and will continue to post from the peanut gallery.

Swim - You are only 41?  It’s time to start delivering this year.

dps - Throwing 2:40/2:45 marathon numbers out before you’ve actually completed a successful training cycle isn’t a good idea....let’s wait until at least Spring before talking about a Grandma goal time. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hi Mikkey. Yea, I think it is ambitious but doable. I running with a bunch of alumni from my alma matter who are in the 2:25-2:35 range for the marathon. I was in 2:50 ish shape in the fall and have been just cranking base miles since then. My issue was always not taking easy days easy and red lining all the time. Also going out way too hard. I have learned those lessons and been racing negative splits again. The 2 halfs in the spring should tell me a lot.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hi Mikkey. Yea, I think it is ambitious but doable. I running with a bunch of alumni from my alma matter who are in the 2:25-2:35 range for the marathon. I was in 2:50 ish shape in the fall and have been just cranking base miles since then. My issue was always not taking easy days easy and red lining all the time. Also going out way too hard. I have learned those lessons and been racing negative splits again. The 2 halfs in the spring should tell me a lot.

Cool, I’ll be curious to see how you progress this year. 👍

Marky - There’s a guy that I’m following on Strava (from my old running club) and runs everything at ridiculously fast pace...and he came 3rd at the Brighton marathon last year with a 2:18 at the age of 43. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Christirei

I'm Christi and i read through this thread and realized you guys are all of the old sub 3 guys!!! i know you said that all runners are welcome in here, but reading through everyone's goal times is pretty intimidating Smile

I doubt i'll have much to contribute, but I think I'll hang around and try to improve my running at least!

I have been running for about eight years now, I'm a stay at home homeschooling mom of three pre-teen/teenage daughters in Kansas City, age 39. My goal for last year was to BQ but that fell apart with a knee issue in the middle of my training last summer. Goal this year is to BQ and actually register this fall. I have run one previous BQ time but wasn't able to actually run Boston, it was just financially not possible at the time. I absolutely want to run Boston next year as my 40th birthday present to myself. I need a 3:40 but hope to run a 3:30-3:35. My previous time was a 3:27

I'll be running the Lake Wobegone marathon Mother's Day weekend. A friend in MN told me about it and it has a very high percentage of runners able to hit their BQ times, so fingers crossed. I am in week one of my training plan and its been a rough start. Part of the problem was a two week vacation to Florida over Christmas and i lost all of my steam. I tried a tempo run this morning and just got through four miles not even at marathon pace, i'm probably a super low mileage runner compared to most of you, but last summer before i had to stop i was running about 55 miles per week, with the thought i would get up to 60, same goals for this spring. I follow Lydiard training plans for the most part and they generally work out for me.

I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's training, should be interesting!!

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Wobegone is a great race. I went to college at St. John's and ran a million workouts on the trail. It is pancake flat and perfect blacktop. Good choice!

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Happy New Year and thanks for starting the thread...

56 yo male, living in SE Michigan, married 30+ years with a teen daughter. I've been running (mostly) on and (occasionally) off all my life. I don't race often; combination of laziness, not committing, time, etc.  Marathon PR is 3:28:40-something at the 2018 Detroit Free Press marathon which qualified me for the 2020 Boston marathon. I'm registered and getting to and finishing Boston is the only goal I'm setting for now.

2019 was a mixed year for me. Started fairly well, was training for Boston 2019 (2018 Holland-Haven was qualifying race before coming down with IT band issues in mid-March that persisted and kept me out of Boston (would have been first Boston).  Was a real bummer as that was the first time I've really tried to train in the winter. Seeing a lot of hard work, cold fingers and numb toe morning go to waste was disappointing.  After recovering from ITB, had a really good summer before I aggravated an old hamstring issue (upper hamstring tendon) in early August and spent most of Sep-Nov barely running. I've been doing 3-5 miles a day in Dec and hoping to ramp up in Jan-Mar and make it to Boston. I don't care what my time is there; I just want to finish and buy a jacket!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi! This still feels kind of like a sub-3 thread, with all of you young, fast whippersnappers, but thanks for being inclusive. Hanging out with you all may help me feel younger, or pretend I'm younger! Smile

I'm 66, and started running at 55, so I have a bunch of late-age PRs.  I've done 13 marathons, seven of them in my home town (Lincoln, NE), and six destination. I guess #14 will be my hometown marathon again. Registration opens tomorrow morning. There have been years that it closed within minutes of opening, but the past couple of years it hasn't filled up so fast. I'm not enamored of spring marathons, with the winter training challenges followed by a hot race, but you never know.

My marathon PR is 3:43, but now I'm quite happy with anything under 4:00.

Race plan for 2020:

March 7, 10K

March 28, 10M

April 4, 10M (maybe)

May 3, Lincoln Marathon

June 6, 10K

July 12, 1M

September 13, 5M

Fall marathon, maybe Des Moines, October 18

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just popping in here to ask - which asthma/allergy meds are allowed, and which are not? I am at no risk of participating in anything that would subject me to testing, but just curious.

So...if you ever want to check something specific, you can go to Global DRO and look it up.

As for asthma/allergy meds and USADA rules, I'll break it down by type of medication:

• antihistamines (Claritin, Benadryl, Allegra, etc)  - legal
                      • leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair) - legal
                      • Xolair (biologic used for bad cases) - legal
                      • immunotherapy allergy shots - legal

and then we get into the tricky stuff:

• pseudoephedrine (Sudafed, Claritin-D, Allegra-D) - allowed out of competition; banned in competition.  They do have a threshold testing level for it, and only count as a positive if you exceed that threshold.
                        • corticosteroids - you can divide these into local or systemic.  Local corticosteroids are those that are inhaled (some asthma inhalers, like Qvar), applied nasally (Flonase, Nasacort), rubbed on the body (cortisone cream), or injected into a joint (a cortisone shot).  Those are legal in and out of competition.    Corticosteroids with a systemic effect (those taken by mouth, taken rectally, or injected into a vein) are allowed out of competition, but banned in competition.
                        • beta-2 agonists.  As a general rule, these are banned both in and out of competition, whether taken orally, injected, or inhaled.  There are three medications that are conditionally allowed (meaning allowed in limited amounts) if inhaled.  Those are albuterol, formoterol, salmeterol.  Albuterol is what is in those little rescue inhalers a lot of people have - you're allowed up to 8 puffs in 12 hours.  Formoterol is in the combination inhalers Symbicort and Dulera; Salmeterol is in the conbination inhaler Advair.  You're allowed up to 54 micrograms of Formoterol over 24 hours (I don't know what that means in terms of puffs).  For Advair (salmeterol), you're allowed up to 4 puffs in 24 hours.

So....practically speaking, you're fine with your antihistamines and your Singulair.  You have to be careful with decongestants, corticosteroids, and inhaled medications.  Once you get into the combination inhalers (which combine a beta-2 agonist and a corticosteroid) you have to go with Advair, Dulera, or Symbicort.  Breo is not allowed (and people do get in trouble for that one).  For rescue inhalers, you have to go with albuterol (Pro-Air and Ventolin inhalers);  Levalbuterol (Xopenex) is not allowed.

As for whom these rules apply to -- they apply to all of us, regardless of whether we are likely to be tested..  That being said, USADA does divide athletes into different groups - Registered Testing Pool, Clean Athlete Program, Non-National Athletes, Recreational Athletes.  Depending on which group you fall into, there are different policies for when a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) is needed.  Basically the lower your level, the more leeway you're given.  If you are in the RTP or CAP, you need to have a TUE any time you take something that's not allowed.  If you're Non-National or Recreational - you need to apply for a TUE for some stuff, but for others you just take them, and then apply for the TUE if you are tested. (there's a form you fill out on USADA to determine whether you need to apply for a TUE in advance).

All of us on this board (unless I'm missing something) are either Non-National Athletes or Recreational.  Essentially you are a Non-National athlete if you have placed high in your age group in a major race.  You are a Recreational athlete if you haven't.  If you qualify for the Olympic Trials or represent the US on a team, then you get bumped up to CAP or RTP.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

updated with race information.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

As for asthma/allergy meds and USADA rules, I'll break it down by type of medication:

Thanks for the dissertation! This is pretty fascinating to me. Maybe to no one else, so I will not clog up the thread with anything further on the subject. Other than to say that I have apparently raced illegally on occasion, including for my marathon PR last month. Counting it anyway.

Dave

delicate flower

Thanks for the dissertation! This is pretty fascinating to me. Maybe to no one else, so I will not clog up the thread with anything further on the subject. Other than to say that I have apparently raced illegally on occasion, including for my marathon PR last month. Counting it anyway.

Are you cheating with your allergy or your asthma medication?  I use an albuterol inhaler for pool-induced asthma, and my understanding is more than 4 hits in a 12 hour period would be considered illegal. 

<3

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Are you cheating with your allergy or your asthma medication?  I use an albuterol inhaler for pool-induced asthma, and my understanding is more than 4 hits in a 12 hour period would be considered illegal. 

It depends on the size of your inhaler.  The standard albuterol inhaler is 90 mcg a puff.  The limit is 800 mcg in 12 hours.  So....8 puffs in 12 hours, not 4.    Is yours a larger dose per puff?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Hello comrades!

My name is Calbears, old, married, 2 kids, originally from Russia, moved to US 13 years ago. Currently live in SF Bay area.

Played soccer/football all my youth until graduating from university. Then took some time off any activities and only got back to it when I was 45 yo. Have no clue how I've got that idea, but I remember I got excited simply just thinking about running a marathon (and I , obviously didn't even run 5K at that time). Took me six months to run 5K (22:23), HM (1:42:38) and then to run my first one - 3:31:42. The goal was sub 3:30 but due to inexperience I missed the fact that real GPS distance is far longer than 26.2 Smile. Corrected that mistake 4 weeks later running a second marathon - 3:23:55.

My best year was when I hit 50yo mark, in 2015 - I think all my PRs are from that year. A year later I was laid off from my job and had some real difficulties finding a new one - seriously gave up on running and for the next 3 years only ran yearly 100K race (to continue qualifying for Western States 100) and basically trained only for 3 months (Sep/Oct//Nov) to run a decent local marathon.

This year should be different - I was challenged by equally old dude to run Boston 2021 and see who is who. So, I accepted the challenge and planning to train at least for this whole year and beyond - the start of this new stage was CIM last month - ran it in barely sub 3 - I think that was my 4th marathon that I ran in barely sub 3 range. On a plus side, hopefully, my work situation has chances to become more stable - so, I think I have some opportunity to show that old dude who is the real deal Smile.

Very vague racing plans for 2020 yet. Probably - pretty flat 50K on Feb 1, then 100K WS100 qualifier in May 9th. Definitely planning on couple of more marathons in 2020 - my local marathon is one of them (already registered).

Good luck to all of us this coming running year.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile