2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Hit 60 last week for the first time.   That gives me more weeks over 50 (I think) than I had when I BQed.

Last week  I had to take a rest week,  everything was screaming take a break.   

Legs felt infinitely better today.  Time to cycle the mileage back up.  Hopefully the second time at 60,  won't cause me any issues. 

Ive been hanging out in the 50-58 mile range last several weeks.  Really need to get up to high 60's but real life issues keep stealing time away.   Looks like that might be clearing up.   Have a big 10K race in 2 weeks and the Ft. Worth 1/2 marathon at the end of Feb.  So we shall see if we are gaining or losing ground.  Smile

good running all.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Right on Hereford...

I keep comparing this training cycle (Boston 2010) with my last one (Chicago 2009). In general this one has not been quite as good, but today was the first day that I had a better workout than the same workout last cycle.

10 miles, with 5 at tempo pace (6:31), and it felt pretty good. Compare that to 6:38 pace in the same workout last summer. Granted, it was July and very humid that day.

So, I'm feeling encouraged and looking forward to the next few weeks.

amc, nice 10-miler yesterday. Ksrunr, keep it up. I will be psyched to see you break 3 at Boston with me.

amc, nice 10-miler yesterday. Ksrunr, keep it up. I will be psyched to see you break 3 at Boston with me.

Thanks.  Seems like the week of was needed.

Had a good 20 miler today.  Felt like I could have pushed the pace at the end but my training partner was in bad bad shape. 

Pleasant soreness in the legs. 

Are we there yet?

Felt like I could have pushed the pace at the end but my training partner was in bad bad shape. 

That will make for a cute photo holding hands in Boston..  

BTW, amcneice are you running the inaugural Columbia HM in Feb??

Yes, it is difficult to not compare training cycles from one to the other....

The differences for me between my previous cycles (Boston 09 and Chicago 09) are

1. Doing an 18-week Pfitz plan versus 12-week Pfitz plan.

2. Doing the 85+ plan versus the 70-85 plan (or some modified version of that plan)

3. Not watching my HR while I run, but running by feel. I still measure HR and look at the data after the run.

So far I've put in weeks of 80,78,89,87,93,69. This week the plan is to hit my first 100 week. And hit another next week, then 89 in 6 days before I go on a vacation (for a little break).

Workouts have been good. I have not raced since Chicago. Some good workouts I've done are:

1. 20 miles with 10@MP (6:31)

2. 10 miles with 5@LT(6:15) (This actually set a 5 mile PR for me)

The rest of my runs have been fairly easy. I do not push any non-quality run (LT,MP) until maybe the last couple of miles. The increase in mileage has made me slow down. I'd also like to get my weight down to ~152.

Good job everyone and hopefully we can carry on the success in 2010.

kcam

So far I've put in weeks of 80,78,89,87,93,69. This week the plan is to hit my first 100 week. And hit another next week, then 89 in 6 days before I go on a vacation (for a little break).

That's called taking it to the next level!  If you can keep this rolling I think you'll have a good shot at sub 2:50.

dcv - I am doing the exact opposite of you due to my tender age of 55.   I was running 85 mile weeks last year before Boston and ran ok but not what I wanted.  For Portland last Oct I ran no weeks over 70 but increased daily intensity ever so slightly.   Think I'll do that again during this cycle and see how it goes.  Plus Portland was 1st marathon in last 5 I didn't cramp at all.   So I think Boston last year I was over trained.

No holding hands.  at the finish.

kcam

dcv - I am doing the exact opposite of you due to my tender age of 55.   I was running 85 mile weeks last year before Boston and ran ok but not what I wanted.  For Portland last Oct I ran no weeks over 70 but increased daily intensity ever so slightly.   Think I'll do that again during this cycle and see how it goes.  Plus Portland was 1st marathon in last 5 I didn't cramp at all.   So I think Boston last year I was over trained.

No holding hands.  at the finish.

ksrunr - This is my strategy, at least for Boston cycle, as well.  I'd love to get up to 80 mpw but realistically it's just not going to happen right now.   I've always run my 'easy' mileage at the slow end of the calculator-projected range (for someone racing my times).  Since December I've been running the easy mileage more towards the middle-to-fast range, and will still do my normal quality workouts.  I most likely won't ever get much over 70 mpw this cycle.  We'll see what that gets me come April.

In general, I think I'd prefer dcv's plan better but you can only do what you can do.

So far,so good, though.  I've done one race this year which projects out to a 2:56 marathon - a 10miler in 1:02:53.  I'll have a 1/2 marathon coming up in February and then another 10mile race in early March and a 12K in mid-March as indicators. 

bhearn

Wow. As we were pretty parallel through Boston '09, I guess I can pretend this is where I'd be too if I were still training hard. Good luck!

That will make for a cute photo holding hands in Boston..  

BTW, amcneice are you running the inaugural Columbia HM in Feb??

I usually loop around and run the last few miles on my long runs with my brother. So a) that'd be weird  and b) he has zero desire to run past 15k. 

No go on the half.  I've waited too long to register and 65 bucks is a bit above what I'd want to spend.   The course looks pretty fun (loads of hills) though.  I might go run it one of these days as a training run as the race will go right down my street. 

Ken - by chance the Cowtown in February?   I'll run that for the first time this year.

kcam

Ken - by chance the Cowtown in February?   I'll run that for the first time this year.

I'm running the Kaiser 1/2 in San Francisco on Feb. 7th.  I know it's kind of a dumb idea to race it this early but there are several people from this forum that will be there as well as people from my running club and it's certified and supposedly a fast course.  For sure it will be fun.

Good luck in Cowtown, put up a report for us.

I will be there.  But I won't be able to see your back after 1/2 mile.  You will be way ahead of me!

I'm running the Kaiser 1/2 in San Francisco on Feb. 7th.  I know it's kind of a dumb idea to race it this early but there are several people from this forum that will be there as well as people from my running club and it's certified and supposedly a fast course.  For sure it will be fun.

Good luck in Cowtown, put up a report for us.

I think this will be my first and probably last 18-week marathon cycle. Especially @ 85+ mpw. I'm looking at this in a bunch of ways:

1. An experiment to see how my body handles higher mileage (averaging > 80mpw)

2. It will be a good base building training cycle for 2010.

I've got a vacation coming up from 2.14-2.23 that I will be cutting back on the miles (probably a bunch). I am not running 80-90 mpw on vacation. I will probably dial up the speed/intensity. When I get back, I'll reevaluate the plan. After that is seems to be:

Big MPW, Cutback (with race), Big MPW, Cutback (with race), Big MPW, Cutback/Taper (race), taper, taper, Boston.

I will not be following the 85+ plan the last two weeks of the plan. I will do what I did before Chicago. That seemed to work well....

After Boston, I will try to transition into 5k speed work from April-August, and try to get faster. Hoepfully all of these miles will help somewhat. Then I will probably jump into a 12-week plan for NYC in November. Probably not the 85+ plan.

My legs feel relatively good, though I think I need to modify my afternoon double runs soon since the big uphill/downhills are starting to bug my knees. By not following HR, I am not speeding up to reach a certain HR level, just running by feel. I'm looking forward to my first race in a 5-6 weeks.