importing Google maps (Read 1183 times)

Can we import a Google map into our own "routes" page? Could this be possible in the future? Thanks A

Recalculating...

eric :)

This is certainly possible, although I don't know how hard it would be to do. The trick is to figure out how Google encodes the route. Once I do that, then it's just a matter of cut and paste for you to import a map. eric :-)
        Out of curiosity, has this received any more attention? It would be kind of handy if you were planning a longer bike route; you could use Google Maps' bike route feature to create a map and then import it to RA and tweak it, rather than having to plot the whole thing out manually.
        The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
        http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You can use RA to create a bike route map now too. 

Out of curiosity, has this received any more attention? It would be kind of handy if you were planning a longer bike route; you could use Google Maps' bike route feature to create a map and then import it to RA and tweak it, rather than having to plot the whole thing out manually.

You know you don't have to plot the whole thing out manually now, right?  Just select a starting point by clicking on the map, select either the "follow road on bike, observe all traffic rules" or "follow road on foot, avoid highways" option and then select a finish point.  It plots the whole map for you.

The only advantage I see from using Google maps instead, is the ability to drag the route to a different road and have it re-plot everything for you.  Otherwise using RA works just fine.

Runners run

jeffdonahue

The only advantage I see from using Google maps instead, is the ability to drag the route to a different road and have it re-plot everything for you.  Otherwise using RA works just fine.

This is by far teh biggest advantage if you are trying to plot out a route prior to your run.  You can enter a start point and end point on Google and it plots it out for you.  What I actually do is set the start and end point at the same place - then you can just drag the line around the map until you have a route and distance you like.  If your route is a little short or long, you just have to drag another point on the route to change the distance slightly.

I typically use RA to map something I just ran, instead of prior to a run, because if it comes up long or short you pretty much have to start over.

On a side note I've noticed Google maps bicycle directions doesn't actually respect one-way streets.  It regularly plots illegal routes for me.  But hey I'm not exactly a stickler for traffic laws anyhoo.

Runners run

Once I used the beta (heheh) "walking" directions to map a run to my friend's pool.  I found a cement divider under my feet, but it was crazy hot and I just couldn't wait to get to that pool, so I just went with it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

drrbradford

bikeroutetoaster.com allows you to export a route as a .gpx file. RA allows you to import .gpx but I can't find out where it uploads the data to if it's just a map and not a workout.

You know you don't have to plot the whole thing out manually now, right?  Just select a starting point by clicking on the map, select either the "follow road on bike, observe all traffic rules" or "follow road on foot, avoid highways" option and then select a finish point.  It plots the whole map for you.

I was not aware of this feature; I'll have to check it out. Thanks gang!

The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                      http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                      eric :)

bikeroutetoaster.com allows you to export a route as a .gpx file. RA allows you to import .gpx but I can't find out where it uploads the data to if it's just a map and not a workout.

Create a new course and you'll see the Import button on the upper right corner of the page.  Why not just create the map on RA and you can avoid the extra steps.