Facebook app is hit or miss (Read 1429 times)

WillRunForBeer: thank you for the special character tip!

I think credit goes to DrewEOB, but thanks.

I've noticed that when I post to FB on my wall with carriage returns, these get taken out -- weird.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

eric :)

Alright.  I've uploaded a quick fix.  I'm sure there are plenty of characters that FB will choke on but I don't know which so I'll patch it as we discover them.
      Tamaleah

To fix the problem, go to the app's preferences page.  You should see a link at the bottom that lets you unlink your RA account from the Facebook RA app.  Go ahead and unlink it.  After that, you'll be asked to enter your RA credentials so do that.  Go back to the preferences page and you should see the publish activities button.  Click it and you should be able to push your workouts from RA.

I can't get my runs to post to my wall on FB.  I'm not finding the place you're referring to above to "unlink"

Leah

Leah,

Click on the preferences tab and click on the publish button and allow the RA the offline and publish permissions.  After that, specify which workouts you would like to be included.  Once you do that, any new workouts you create will be posted automatically to your wall.

eric :-)

Tamaleah

Thanks, Eric. 

I did get it to work for a while.  And, now it's not working again.  It won't post on the status updates.  I've done exactly the same thing I"ve done the past several weeks.  All have successfully posted.  And, now it's not working.  Is that something to do with the new Facebook changes?  Thanks!

Leah

Tamaleah

Never mind.  It's the way the new Facebook is set up.  It's on there under live feeds just not under status updates.  Thanks again!

Leah

When FB posted my run today, it did not post the details of the run - just Mike Fox logged a Run Entry.

It also commandeered my status.

I'm assuming this is as a result of the "new" FB setup.  Is there a way to get the RA app to work the way it used to???

You mean to tell me that FB broke things again?  Another reason to dislike FB.  Rule #1 in software engineering: don't break existing functionality!  There is no excuse for FB not using API versioning.  I'll take a look when I get a chance.

Lazy idiot

When FB posted my run today, it did not post the details of the run - just Mike Fox logged a Run Entry.

It also commandeered my status.

I'm assuming this is as a result of the "new" FB setup.  Is there a way to get the RA app to work the way it used to???

Sometimes this happens.  Were there notes on the run?  That does it for me, sometimes.  

More hit than miss, for sure.

Tick tock

Sometimes this happens.  Were there notes on the run?  That does it for me, sometimes.  

More hit than miss, for sure.

I fixed this problem a while back.  Facebook wants only plain text in the feed.  Apparently, the carriage return character that creates a new line is not considered plain text and FB just barfed.  Quite a terrible design because RA handles that character just fine so why can't this massively popular company?

Foxygoblue: Come to think of it, maybe it's the same problem.  Your notes may contain another character that FB doesn't like.  Could you point me to the workout with the problem?

I decided to unlink and link and today's log entry worked.

I checked the notes in the entry that did not worked...no carriage returns, and not any really special characters...unless / or " or ! is special.

Here's my text:

Great easy run. HRM showed elevated readings in first 1/2 mile so I stopped and HRM went down quickly to "correct" levels. If I can run the first 10 miles of the NY Marathon like this I should be in good shape!

Thanks!

Sank

is there a way so that your daily, weekly, monthly, yearly totals show in a box on the left hand side of your facebook profile page, like it does with a widget on my blogsite?

Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

By the way, I know a lot of software programs that will barf if you have quote marks in the text. Just for grins, try removing the quotes from the text.

Fistmaster General

Does anyone use the profile box?  the one on the left side of the page?  I just recently added it and it doesn't seem to update.  I have had this problem with other profile boxes but typically there is a way to manually update it.  The pandora box seems to be the only one that updates immediately.

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

I guess I don't understand what any of you are talking about regarding runs showing up on one's wall.  The only RunningAHEAD thing I see is on my Facebook Profile page where I have a box with RunningAHEAD Training Log with My latest Workouts, My distance totals and My personal records.  If anything else is supposed to be showing up somewhere, it isn't.

Under Settings/RunningAHEAD Training Log/ Edit Settings both checkboxes are checked under Additional Permissions

At http://apps.facebook.com/runningahead/preferences the radio button is enabled to Publish all my activities.

Still, nothing shows.