2008 Portland Marathon (Modal’s Second 26.2 Race) (Read 613 times)

Background February of 2008, I ran my first marathon, the Fort Worth Cowtown. Vacationing over in the Northwestern states and Western coast of Canada was something I had wanted to do for awhile. I thought what the heck, I see if there are any races over there. Initially, I was doing the Leavenworth half, but thought it would be more difficult than the Portland Marathon. Supposedly, the Portland marathon is the third easiest marathon in the US. Marathon Preparation I did not have a training plan. 2 weeks prior, I ran a 20k race and then started picking up my base frequency. Smile Hydration/Fuel Plan I brought along 24oz of Tiger Gatorade and about 5 gel packs. I only ended up consuming 2 GU at miles 6 and 12. On the course, I tried a cup of Ultima, but was not pleased with it. From then on, I decided to stick with Glukcos and water. 2 cups of Liquid Gold and 2 cups of gummy bears were the only fuel items I got off the course. The Liquid Gold was funky tasting, but went down easy. Pre race night I slept hard, but ended up getting up way before I was expecting to. Finally, I came to the realization that I was about to be in a marathon. Pre race meal I ingested a peanut butter Kashi bar, cup of tiger Gatorade, and a pint of Chocolate Nesquik. Parking I arrived in downtown Portland about 5:30am. Thanks to Ennay on the parking advice, I found a garage taking cash at the entrance on Jefferson and First. Prefect Race Weather Overcast Drizzle Upper 50F Gun is about to go off! I placed myself in the 2nd wave start lining up for the 4:45 pace group. With 7000+ people, the whole staggered start was a good idea. Racing Now As things progressed, I felt good, sped up, and met the 4:30 group. Cruising with the pace team, I was thinking the course would be easy for me. There was not anything of major note until Mile 17. Mile 17 marked the start of a decent incline up to the St. John’s Bridge. I made the wise decision to take short walking breaks till I made it to the top. Mile 17 was a concern for me because I had my breakdown for my first marathon around this distance. Around the 22th mile, the ball of my left foot started bothering me and I started taking more walking breaks. Coming over the broadway bridge, I had a burst of energy, which did not last long. The last couple miles, I just started feeling myself breakdown and I began walking more and more. Oh yeah, Amtrak train cut off me off. Big grin Post Race Goodies At the ending, there were plenty of goodies -Dole Bars -Fruit Cream Bars -NesQuik -Powerbars -Flowers -Orange Juicy -Bananas -And who knows what else but…. I had trouble finding salty snacks. My guts were rolling and my head hurt and all I wanted to do was to shower up. Vomitosis 15 minutes after finishing, I was blowing seeds. Boy, it felt good to get that stuff out of me. Litter Box Dang, I stank. My shoes had a very strong ammonia stench. Impressions Overall, I thought the event went well. The volunteer base was awesome. Personal Expectations I wanted to get at or below 4:30, but I am happy with my 4:40 time. Injuries I had a large blood blister on the ball of my left foot and my left nipple bled a quite a bit. I brought bandaids along, but I forgot to use them. I thought I did not getting any blisters under my toenails, but I had one pop up days after finishing. Do I want to do another Marathon? At the end of this marathon, I told myself never again then I threw up and my mind changed :-).

Vim

Cryptic

sounds like some real fun.
        Ah, nothing like a good hurl to make everything all better! I'm honored you chose Portland for a vacation-marathon, but I also apologize for the cruddy weather and general lack of scenery on the course. I would be shocked to hear that Portland is the 3rd easiest marathon. I thought it was deceptively rough, especially miles 17-21.
          I would be shocked to hear that Portland is the 3rd easiest marathon.
          Well, I misread. "One of the top 3 marathons to do as a first marathon"

Vim

xor

Damn trains! I went back out to find my friends just after you went by... another amtrak train came by. GAH. I surely hope that they go back to the steel bridge... this way, we only cross the tracks once, at the 10k mark. I can't totally tell, but I think you had some fun. At least I hope so. And did you throw up more after portland? Or after el scorcho? Portland was much kinder to me!

Dog-Love

Vomitosis 15 minutes after finishing, I was blowing seeds. Boy, it felt good to get that stuff out of me. Litter Box Dang, I stank. My shoes had a very strong ammonia stench. Impressions Overall, I thought the event went well. .
              You cracked me up!!! Awesome job Model!
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, I misread. "One of the top 3 marathons to do as a first marathon"
                Any idea what the other two were? I loved Milwaukee...it totally got me hooked. That hurling thing is funny. As much as I can't stand puking, I hate being queasy even more. Sometimes a good ralph makes life all better! Big grin Nice race report. Got another one in mind for #3?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

great job Modal!!! nice job on the vomitosis. I'd rather like to keep my Jerry seinfeld streak of not vomiting, so I'm taking notes on what not to do...the kashi bar and ultima were red flags! what is UP with the trains crossing? Confused What's next?

Jennifer mm#1231

A Saucy Wench

crazy aint it. Never see THAT in the advertisements.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

“And did you throw up more after portland? Or after el scorcho?” Portland nausea cleared up once I let my stomach contents go. El Scorcho Uno upchucking definitely was worse. Not only did I have issues at Trinity Park, I had to stop on the shoulder of the highway because it got so bad. Thankfully, El Scorcho Dos was a vomit free experience. “Any idea what the other two were?” No idea. Chicago and another one maybe? “Got another one in mind for #3?” “What’s next” I may entertain one in November and/or December. I’d be shooting for a time between 4:15 and 4:30.

Vim

Great job, Modal - loved the report Big grin Congrats to you!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group