General Discussion about various 24-Hour Races. What are your favorites? (Read 890 times)

There's another 24 Hour race in VA - http://www.athletic-equation.com/24-HR_ATR.html . 

I haven't run it so I can't comment on the organization, etc.  I have my eye on the 8-Hour race they put on in February. 

DoppleBock

in my 147.41 and 154.48 results - I focussed on effort - keeping the effort level at something I could maintain without fade.  Trusting that the best result would come - Whatever it would be by running a much more consistent pace.  I believe at worlds I was something like 78/76.48 for 1st 12 / second 12. 

The last 2 that I blew up in, I had a pace in mind and tracked it very closely - This led to too high an effort level and a big disappointment.

But this is also the way I run all race - Trying to pick the right effort level for the 1st 1/2 of the race and then force a similar pace at any effort level (Which always end up being max effort by end of race) for the 2nd half.

Running by pace is based on some arbitrary goal in the 24 hour race - Running by effort you might run fastr or slower in the 1st 12, but you are much more likely to be moving well the whole race.

That is why at worlds in 2010 I was behind 70% of men and 40% of woman by hour 4.  By hour 12 I was in maybe 80-100th pace.  By the end I was in 12th.  Becasue I rac 78/46.48 and many of the others ran by a goal pace - It was a check that they wrote their body could not cash that day.  I do the best not to pay attention to anything but taking care of my body and running a reasonable pace until After 15 hours or @ 100 miles.  The last 8 it is time to force the issue. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

DB-How do you NOT focus on pace when you have a goal in mind? I realize that you have to set a realistic goal but doesn't that then translate to having to maintain a pace? (In the case of the first 12 hours, making sure you don't go out too fast?)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

You know that pace - The one when you are running with a much slower friend - Maybe 1, 1.5 or 2 mintes slower than you normaly run easy pace.  Where it feels like you are not even breathing any harder than sitting on the couch drinking beer wathcing TV ???  The pace that you feel you are not really getting any training benefit from ???  That is the feeling you want to keep for as long as possible.  Plus I tend to take a 2-3 minute walk break per hour from the beginning.

If you can keep that feeling to 12 hours.  Then keep that pace up through 16 hours - from hour 12 to 16 sometimes it feels really easy, sometimes you want to walk and feel really rough.  After 16 hours you will feel rough more than good and at some point you will be just imposing your wil on your body.

The other key is to eat and drink on a schedule from the start.  I think because I am going at an easier pace, my body can easily consume calories and stay in a good rythm of normal function much longer.

Jess runs for bacon

Another one here for NJ 3 days at the fair, but I'm going for 12 hours (my first ultra). Already some really good advice in here.

jojajogger

I have two favorites, the FANS 24 hour race in Minnesota which has already been mentioned and the Hinson Lake 24 hour race in North Carolina.  Hinson Lake has a low low entry fee of $24 and has all the amenities of the more expensive races.  It is very popular and fills up quickly.

Thanks, DB.

You know that pace - The one when you are running with a much slower friend - Maybe 1, 1.5 or 2 mintes slower than you normaly run easy pace.  Where it feels like you are not even breathing any harder than sitting on the couch drinking beer wathcing TV ???  The pace that you feel you are not really getting any training benefit from ???  That is the feeling you want to keep for as long as possible.  Plus I tend to take a 2-3 minute walk break per hour from the beginning.

My running/walking strategy was different(I ran slightly faster than easy pace and walked a lot each lap) but I would like to try this suggestion. The problem is the 24 hour race takes so much out of me, I hate to "waste" a race effort on an experiment.

"The other key is to eat and drink on a schedule from the start.  I think because I am going at an easier pace, my body can easily consume calories and stay in a good rythm of normal function much longer".

"Eat early and eat often" is my favorite rule, running or otherwise. Smile
              DoppleBock

I hear that - I tried the last 2 to run easy and keep and eye on pace, but ran too fast.  It is really hard to let everyone pull away from you in the 1st lap(s) when you know you want to be competetive.  The difference for me could be as little as 4 miles in the 1st 12 hours.  Just like marathoning - Once you cross the red line - 3 minutes banked in the 1st 1/2M could cost you 10-20 minutes in the 2nd.

I have also seem Phil McCarthy run 91 miles in the 1st 12 and 60 in the 2nd to win a national championship. 

Kalsarikännit

You know that pace - The one when you are running with a much slower friend - Maybe 1, 1.5 or 2 mintes slower than you normaly run easy pace.  Where it feels like you are not even breathing any harder than sitting on the couch drinking beer wathcing TV ???  The pace that you feel you are not really getting any training benefit from ???  That is the feeling you want to keep for as long as possible.

DB is the expert on these things, but I have to say that what works for me is totally different. I have had the most success sticking with a normal easy run pace. Making myself jog artificially slow just feels uncomfortable, like I am slamming my legs into the ground in a braking kind of way (like bad downhill running). Besides, my body will just end up creeping back up to comfortable pace and I will spend the race yelling, "slow down, dummy" at myself. I've found it works best to run at normal pace, but take frequent walk breaks. I think there are three benefits of this. First, it alters your gait. This pays off big time in the long run. Second, it can help keep you on track with your nutrition. Walk time turns into scheduled gu and liquid time. And last, it is a big psychological boost/mind game. On the track I will run the first hour, and then run 8, walk one. Come hour 14 it is impossible to think that I have 10 hours left. I need to think smaller. All I know is that in 8 laps I get a reward. I can live with that and keep going.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Popcornfrog, I looked at that VA race you mentioned:  http://www.athletic-equation.com/24-HR_ATR.html , I've seen that one before, nice little small race. What amazes me is that the top finisher did only about 87 miles!  I wonder if it is tougher terrain (more elevation) or what the case is.  ---Would be cool to do a 24-hour race someday and get a win with an 87 mile effort :-)  (Some of you guys could do that in 18 hours I am sure!   And Hinson lake, NC was mentioned as well, that is another race I have on the long-term roster.  Looks like a great location to spend 24 hours :-)  I don't think either of those races award medals or buckles though, but I don't run with the medal as a goal anymore.

I am continuing to read and absorb like a sponge.  I can really see what my biggest mistake was in my furst 24-hour run, went out way too fast indeed.  The discussion on slower paces is great.  I think it is time to head to my local park one of these weekends when I have alot of time on a Sat or Sun and really get some time on feet doing their 3-mile loop and try to go 'sunup to sundown' without stopping + see what I can accomplish at a much slower but steady pace.

I might have to make that a quote, or I imagine someone already has:  "You know you are a runner when you don't run for the medals anymore, your run for the Mettle."  (When I started out running, it was about the medals.  But now it is much more than that...)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

DoppleBock

That is because you have a nice stride - I already had a shitty shuffle stride, so running 7 mph vs 8 mph is the same shitty, goofy foot stride.

I do not think it takes a ton of backing down - But running 21-22 minute laps at FANS worked great,  Running 20-21 minute laps was a disaster (2.42 mile loops)

20.5 minutes = 7.08 MPH

21.5 minutes = 6.75 mph

My easy pace is 7.4-8.4 MPH Depending on the day

Recover Pace is 7.0-7.5 MPH Depending on the day

Of course I set goals and know where I have to be, but I do not want to track laps of pay much attention.  I think at DS24 I may just give Jill my watch until after 100 miles.

Ideally w/o bathroom issues I would hit 325 laps in the 1st 12 hours and try to hit at least 300 in the 2nd 12 = 250,000 meters, but to make the trip worth it, I need to minimum do 605 laps total ~ that could be done with 310/295

So I know what I have to do, but it does not pay to push until 8 hours to go.  God I hate the 24 hour race.  It is like hitting the wall in the marathon and then fumbling the last 6.2 mile death march for 8 hours.  I have only hit the wall once in the marathon, but the last 8 hours always suck in a 24.

Why am I doing a 24 - I blame WG ~ She is a bad influence ... that and I promissed my DW Jill that I would stop balming her for everything and God knows it can't be my fault.

DoppleBock

Or Sun down to Sun up

I am actually not one to train at night, but some like it ... well that is a lie as occassionally I do really long runs after work that do not end until 1 or 2 in the morning.

I am continuing to read and absorb like a sponge.  I can really see what my biggest mistake was in my furst 24-hour run, went out way too fast indeed.  The discussion on slower paces is great.  I think it is time to head to my local park one of these weekends when I have alot of time on a Sat or Sun and really get some time on feet doing their 3-mile loop and try to go 'sunup to sundown' without stopping + see what I can accomplish at a much slower but steady pace.

DoppleBock

Nutrition

My base nutrition is to try and get a minimum of 300 calories per hour with a target of 500 calories per hour.  Main calorie course comes from Gels and Endurox or an Endurox / Hammer Sustained energy mix.

Suppliment (Ad hoc) might include bananas or ham and cheese sandwiches.

I try to stay away from liquid crack as long as possible (Coke or Mountain Dew)

I take Electrolytes through S-Caps

I am a heavy sweater, so I try and get >= 30 ounces of liquid an hour.

I have been known to take 5 hour energy (I blame WG)

The 1st aide kit will include - Lots of anti-chaffing, topical pain relief, pepto, tums, ginger candy, blister patches, duct tape, saftey pins (Pop blisters), head lamps (I usually do not need in the race), anti-Diarrea stuff and other various stuff.

I do take a limited amount of Ibuprofen (But understand the risks before you consider it)

Track 24 - I made the mistake of not wearing gators and I got lots of black rubber chunks in my shoes.  I bring 4-5 pair of shoes and socks in case of rain.  If you have a hot spot on your foot - it is much better to take 1-2 minutes to fix you sock then to deal with massive blisters later.  I rarely get much for blisters.

DoppleBock

Finding a good crew is hard.  Crewing is hard.  If you find a good crew person - Treat them really good, specially before and after the race, because during the race you might be an asshole - It happens.

Generally family does not make great crews - This is because when it looks like you are doing permanent damage or may die if you continue a good crew keeps pushing you - Playing mind games to trick you or push the right buttons to get you to continue.  They are also excellent problem solvers and supper attentive.

Or Sun down to Sun up

I am actually not one to train at night, but some like it ... well that is a lie as occassionally I do really long runs after work that do not end until 1 or 2 in the morning.

Yep, last night on my longest practice run to date it was all during the dark... Time seems to have moved faster doing that run at night.  I tell you, about the last 30 minutes, it was as if I was still rested, breathing very lightly, and I noticed I was closing my eyes for several seconds at a time.  Almost as if I was sleeping while standing up, but yet jogging + gettting them miles in at the same time.  Seemed very realxing to do that.  Had to keep opening my eyes every few secs though as not to run off the side of the road. :-)  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Snizzle

wrong fourm--sory