My Garmin 305 has fallen apart--literally. (Read 1546 times)

Tramps

The top part--everything above the seam that runs all the way around the unit--has fallen off.  The Garmin is now in 2 sort-of-L-shaped parts.  I can push them together and the unit still works, but the parts won't stay together. 

Any idea what holds these together (glue?!) and what I might try to fix it?

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave

For $79 Garmin will send you one that looks new. Even if you fix it, how long would it last?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Just email Garmin support or call them to get a repair number and send it back to them with the 79 dollars and get a refurbished unit. I'm not sure if they will take it back if you have super glued it back together.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Tramps

Duct tape would work...but it would make it impossible to read the screens. Joking

Ah well, I guess it's off to the Garmin elf-factory.

Be safe. Be kind.

Turbolegs

The top part--everything above the seam that runs all the way around the unit--has fallen off.  The Garmin is now in 2 sort-of-L-shaped parts.  I can push them together and the unit still works, but the parts won't stay together. 

Any idea what holds these together (glue?!) and what I might try to fix it?

I took my Garmin 305 apart, had a loose contact re-wired at a local shop and then sealed it shut using a silicon glue you can get at any hardware store. 

I wrote a very brief note about it in my blog here

However the original inspiration for me was this guy's very helpful how-to with the 205.

Have fun !!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Tramps

However the original inspiration for me was this guy's very helpful how-to with the 205.

Great link. Thanks.

Be safe. Be kind.

Turbolegs

Great link. Thanks.

You are welcome. FWIW, i used a silicone sealant and once that had set, i removed the strap pins, and put black insulation tape on the joints just to reinforce. That was a while back. As of 3 weeks ago, my 305 went into coma (more loose contact i suspect) and so i need to do surgery on it soon. I will. 

However, as of 1 week ago, i acquired a 310xt which is quite super. Obviously, i will take my time getting around to putting the 305 back on the wall again. 

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

kcam

This picture from the link above shows exactly what happened to one of my previous Garmins.  Those 3 holes are so you can hear the beeper a little better.  As well there is a hole on the other side of the watch (don't know it's function).  I keep both sets of those holes covered with a small piece of scotch tape to prevent sweat from going into the GPS.  Sodium and water is about the worst thing that can get inside a piece of electronics.  As soon as you get one of these watches I'd recommend covering those holes.  You can still hear the beeper but it's definitely not as loud.

This falling apart seems to be a very common problem.  Happened to me, its now scotch taped together and is working fine for about 6 months.

My 2cents:

I suggest attempting a home repair as the others suggested.  The $79 Garmin repair (replacement) made sense a couple of years ago - but with the brand new 305 unit prices nearing the $100 mark - I don't think it's worth it today.

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!