2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

cinnamon girl

Mikkey - you know I loved your NYC and that was by far superior performance than London. You did so awesome. Example of why times don't say much as far as deserving anything. Your NYC race does give me tons of confidence that you handle hills well 

CalBears

I used Maurten gels at London this year and planning to use them again in future races.....so you’d better start getting used to them as I don’t want this to be yet another excuse when I beat you at Boston.

Now, after Powerbar gels are back? No way I am getting Maurten crap into my stomach - Powerbar served me well and will continue to serve looks like.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - you know I loved your NYC and that was by far superior performance than London. You did so awesome. Example of why times don't say much as far as deserving anything. Your NYC race does give me tons of confidence that you handle hills well 

Aww thanks cinnamon girl and the same back at you!  Im still gutted that I didn’t know you were running it that year as we could have at least started or even ran the first half together!  If NYC is supposed to be more difficult than Boston then I’ve got nothing to fear and it’s just a matter of getting the pacing right and doing a bit of hill work. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Ooops

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

nimmals you're racing a 5K a week before CIM AND doing 2K repeats? What is Lazy Becky mode?

Brew - Taper is boring I have to do something to keep an edge. Lazy Becky mode means reduced effort so instead of running 5:20 paces I will run 5:40/mile or even 6:00/mile. Some coaches refer to it as Fluffy effort usually 85-90% of the usual required effort. its similar in concept to MP+ RP+ efforts.

Cinnamon and Mikkey: Right back at you; you are both very nice people as well! There are many of those on this forum and doubt I am the most. Weather is a super nice guy and he may be the champion 

Cinnamon: Really strong week. 10 x 400m...man do I wish I could do that workout!  I would love to feel that kind of pain right now.

Mikkey: I think 3 times on the bike was my yearly limit. I just can't stand it. I would have to go to our local gym to get to an elliptical. I will be getting a second hand Nordictrack ski machine next week and hope that I can use it without pain. I did use one 20+ years ago and remember it was a really good workout aerobically.

Nimmals: Aye aye captain, I am working my ass like crazy. Seems now like I am always thinking about my ass, that is, using the glutes even when walking or sitting at work. What I find tough is what to think about to keep it engaged or engaged the best way when running. I tried your suggestion of thinking of a credit card between the cheeks but that wasn't working. BTW, those 2ks look great. Remember, 2:29:54. No potty stops. Either hold it in or go while you run.

DW: That was an excellent race report. As others have mentioned you really do a great job with those. Congrats again on a great race.

JMac: Great cycle indeed for you! Can't wait to see what you put down at CIM.

Weather: Congrats on the awesome 10k PR!  You should be feeling good for your marathon with that kind of 10k fitness.

Everyone else: great work and sorry I didn't comment on everyone; when not running well myself it is borderline depressing reading here so I've been falling behind a bit.

2:52:16 (2018)

cinnamon girl

JTReeves - does it help to shorten your stride? Is pain from very beginning of the run or does it worsen during? Do you feel it when walking - is it worse just because of impact? Idk. It does suck really, really bad. I'm with you and hate and refuse to do cross-training, or anything other than running I ain't gonna do it. I wonder if you continuing to run is helping or not. I guess a lot of questions with no answers.   If you feel it from the very beginning of a run and/or walking and it's worse with impact - maybe it's best not to run at all for a couple weeks. I forgot if you mentioned, but is your PT a runner? Can't wait to have you back!!

And yes Slammin - work before getting into marathon training. Good Luck at CIM - it will be so exciting for us to 'watch'!

Mikkey -  I hope to see you in Boston though! And if this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum   - yes, the course is much easier than NYC. Nothing to fear!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Everyone else: great work and sorry I didn't comment on everyone; when not running well myself it is borderline depressing reading here so I've been falling behind a bit.

Been there, done that. Nobody faults you, I want nothing to do with this place when I'm injured.

Cinnamon - I like your line about being your own inspiration. I always struggle with the question "who inspires you?" The answer, honestly, is my own self drive at all times, whether it comes to running success or professional success. Don't know if that's what you meant, but I like it.

Me - legs feel like crap, so I'm exactly where I want to be! Getting pretty excited to race. I've also decided I'm doing Boston next year. Will be a tight turnaround training wise (especially given I'm taking 2 weeks off at the end of December) but I'll figure it out. I seem to do well with these 2 week breaks and then short but intense cycles, so I'll keep at it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

On the other hand, if you're willing to risk a 'fail' - and CIM there's no reason not to - go big from the gun!

Cinnamon that summed up 2018. Didnt know the course went big had my usual bathroom stops.

JTReeves I know I added humor to the mind your ass bit but it is indeed important. Using your glutes reduces vertical oscillation which in turn decreases hip drop which in turn causes less impact on your sacrum less straining of your hip diaphragm and less injury to all the associated muscles such as the Psoas, Iliacus, obturators, piriformis etc. So while I like to be funny I'm not a clown there is some truth in everything I say. Says the motley fool.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was here for about 7 months without really noticing it so I feel your pain. Everyone does great things at different times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JTReeves - does it help to shorten your stride? Is pain from very beginning of the run or does it worsen during? Do you feel it when walking - is it worse just because of impact? Idk. It does suck really, really bad. I'm with you and hate and refuse to do cross-training, or anything other than running I ain't gonna do it. I wonder if you continuing to run is helping or not. I guess a lot of questions with no answers.   If you feel it from the very beginning of a run and/or walking and it's worse with impact - maybe it's best not to run at all for a couple weeks. I forgot if you mentioned, but is your PT a runner? Can't wait to have you back!!

Hey Cinnamon, yes it does help to shorten my stride. The pain is worst when I first start to run but fades as it goes on. I ran kind of hard yesterday on the mill just because I was PO'd and strangely, it felt pretty good. I was waiting for the fallout from that run all day yesterday and this morning, but it never came. Then ran an easy 8 this morning, again with minimal pain. It is still there but something happened Tuesday. Maybe the PT session Monday; she did some new stuff and maybe that kicked in. Regardless, it was an improvement so I am hoping I am on the way out of this. I will see how I do; if it gets worse again I may just take some couple of weeks off to let it fully recover. But hoping that will not be necessary as it will drive me insane.  Yes, my PT is a runner, 3:07 marathoner and very serious about running. I finally found the unicorn with her...a PT who is a real runner, not just a PT who knows a bit about running injuries and grab-asses their way around.

Nimmals: I do take what you were saying seriously; my PT is saying the same things about glutes. I've been doing bridges and hip thrusts before my run to wake them up. Then during the run I focus on them being involved. For me the best way to think about it is to think of pulling the ground with each step; then the stride seems to engage the arse to pull the leg back. It's related to the Pose method, the 3rd stage (pose, fall, pull). I can;t get the hang of the first two stages but the pull stage helps me to think of and realize glute engagement.

2:52:16 (2018)

M_M_C

JT - I had glute issues a fair amount in college and more recently this summer. This is what I would do if I were you:

• Take time off, if you can. If you have a race coming up train through then take time off afterward, but if you have nothing, take some time off. I found 2 weeks to be enough if you don't carried away when you come back
                          • Work the trouble areas in accordance with this referred pain guide http://www.triggerpoints.net/lower-torso . A Lax or tennis ball is a good instrument for this
                          • Strengthen you glutes. Hip bridges, clams, band walks, etc.
                          • If you have a desk job, try to walk around and get some blood flowing
                          • If you ever cross your legs while sitting, kick that habit

Also what % incline do you do you use on a treadmill? If you don't have enough of an incline, it can torch your hip flexors which are an antagonist muscle to your glutes.

Hope you overcome it soon!

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey -  I hope to see you in Boston though! And if this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum   - yes, the course is much easier than NYC. Nothing to fear!

You’re up for Boston 2021 then?  Excellent!  I’ve met Andres a couple of times in London and he’s awesome...and it would be great to meet a few other virtual running friends in person!

It seems a long way off...but the older you get, the quicker time flies. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - responding to you here since it's easier. Is the city going to be that crowded because of this race? Also, I rented a car since I'm coming from SFO, I assumed there will be garages to park at. But I figure I also want one for the expo since it's not downtown anymore. Is that okay?

Any other CIM tips appreciated, including what the start village is like. I've only done NYC and Boston so I'm used to bringing a ton of things to stay warm and then donate them.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Brew - responding to you here since it's easier. Is the city going to be that crowded because of this race? Also, I rented a car since I'm coming from SFO, I assumed there will be garages to park at. But I figure I also want one for the expo since it's not downtown anymore. Is that okay?

Any other CIM tips appreciated, including what the start village is like. I've only done NYC and Boston so I'm used to bringing a ton of things to stay warm and then donate them.

Didn't notice Sacramento is too crowded on Saturday, actually it's not crowded at all. You should not have any problems with parking. They used to have the expo in the downtown near the finish but I heard they moved it to the basketball arena - I've never been at the arena but I suspect the parking might be free, I hope they didn't move the expo just to make money out of parking.

Here is how the start village looks like:

When you take a bus to the start line, you are usually allowed to stay in a heated bus I think until 15 minutes before start if you are cold. There is no much commotion during the last hour before the start, you can even go like half a mile from the start and have your strides there. Just make sure to be like at least 10 minutes before the start time at the start line, after that it might take some effort to get to the first rows. Basically, do not fret over anything - it's pretty intuitive over there, it's 7-8 thousand runners but it has that feeling of a local race where you can do everything at the last moment Smile Good luck!

Also, I always wear my warm clothes up until maybe 15-20 minutes before the start, after that I put it into a gear bag and give it to the people on the trucks which are located about 0.3 miles before the start area, so, you can put your clothes into the bag, leave it on a track ( that are marked per your bib number range) and then pick up the bag after you finish, the pick up area is just a few steps from the finish line.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile