Quiet feet in the a.m. (Read 979 times)

I hope this is a question worth posting (I worry that most of my posts aren't up to par with the usual posts) anyhow... This morning as I was running at 6:00 a.m., I found myself once again wondering which neighbor am I annoying. It's not as if I'm out there stomping my feet as loudly as possible (in fact I have a quiet step). But...any house I ran by that had a dog in it, I could hear the dog barking. Then there were the dogs who were out in their yards barking their little heads off. Keep in mind that it is still dark at 6:00 thanks to daylight saving's time. Some houses outdoor motion detector lights went off (which was odd since I was mainly in the street, but did run on some sidewalks). I scared one woman as she was getting into her car, I came around the corner and she didn't see me until I was running by her car. I run partially in my own neighborhood and then I travel to another development down the street. Has anyone ever been asked not to run somewhere? I won't know how to react if someone actually approaches me to ask me or tell me to not run at a certain time, or on a certain street. Are there any rules I'm not aware of in regard to times being allowed to run? How does anyone else deal with bothering the neighborhood dogs? Or is it a case of "not my problem". I hate to think like that but I don't see any other way. But...in all fairness I can understand how annoying it would be to have a dog barking it's head off at 6 the a.m. if I wasn't ready to be awake.

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

You are not the problem. The barking dog is the problem! Sounds like the owners need to do some training.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Scout7

Well, I live in a fairly crowded area, and we have a dog. She has been known to bark at things at 3 in the morning. Mostly, we tell her to shut up and go back to bed. Which she does. If someone owns a dog, they expect barking. Nature of the beast, literally and figuratively. My dog barking is much less annoying to me than the person who, at 2 a.m., decided to drive up and down the street, repeatedly, while playing hip-hop music so loud, I could hear all the lyrics, the back-up singers, and every little note. This went on for a good 5 minutes, too. Someone running by at 6 a.m. pales in comparison.

My dogs are fast, not me

You are not the problem. The barking dog is the problem! Sounds like the owners need to do some training.
          I agree! You're running in a public street, not through these people's yards.

Robin

I wouldn't worry about it. You run. Neighbors have dogs. Dogs bark. I run at night & have wondered similar things. Usually the dogs stop barking after you run past their house. If they don't, I bet that dog annoys the other neighbors on a regular basis whether you run by or not. As for motion detectors, yeah, I set those off too. They can be adjusted but, I bet that doesn't really bother many people. I've scared a fair share of pedestrians too. I have a soft footfall & don't make a lot of noise when I run. I try to run wide around people but, I've still caused a few people to let out a shriek or two (I've seen some pretty impressive vertical leaps too). From the pedestrian's perspective I figure it could be worse. I could've been a mugger & they should be more vigilant & aware of their surroundings. You're not causing anybody any harm. Run where you like, when you like.
            JakeKnight

I hope this is a question worth posting (I worry that most of my posts aren't up to par with the usual posts)...
              Have you read some of the posts here? Have you read some of my posts here? I don't think you have much to worry about. The bar on quality ain't exactly set real high. And quit worrying about the neighbors. Time they got their asses up, anyway. Besides, if the dog's outside, they're either already up, or they're used to the yapping. If someone asked me not to run somewhere - somewhere public, as in the street or on a sidewalk - I'd probably rupture something laughing at them. And then make a point of running by their house as often as possible. Wearing jingle bells and a funny hat.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

btb1490

Everyone has already given you good answers. It's very thoughtful of you to think about your neighbors well being like this, but you could just as easily turn the discussion around by saying that you are out there trying to enjoy a nice peaceful morning run, and the neighbors dogs are bothering you without provocation. Just run and enjoy! Smile
                Scout7

And then make a point of running by their house as often as possible. Wearing jingle bells and a funny hat.
                  Air horns work really well, too.
                  JakeKnight

Air horns work really well, too.
                    Yeah, but that's not half as funny as one of those jester hats with little dangly bells.
                    urn the discussion around by saying that you are out there trying to enjoy a nice peaceful morning run, and the neighbors dogs are bothering you without provocation
                    Uh, yep. The problem here is actually the dog owners. Not the runner.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Scout7

Yeah, but that's not half as funny as one of those jester hats with little dangly bells.
                      Perspective, I suppose. I'd be extremely amused blowing an airhorn and waking up my neighborhood. Of course, in my neighborhood, I'd get shot for less.
                        So far I like all the answers! I feel much better about it, thanks everyone! I don't think I'm overly nice. I have to admit that one of my biggest flaws is that I don't like to be disliked. So bothering people would be making people not like me... and it would bother me. So, in that view, it's not really THEM I worried about. I'll be heading to store to purchases some emergency supplies - JUST IN CASE someone gives me a hard time about where & when I run. Here's my list so far: 1. Jingle bells 2. Funny hat 3. Air horn

Michelle

You'll ruin your knees!

A little late, but I'll chime in... If you own a yappy dog, you deserve to hear a yappy dog at 6 am! As far as scaring pedestrians in the pre-dawn darkness, whenever possible, I will speak to them before they "hear/see" me to give them as much advance notice as possible. Sometimes they still jump, but I think it's better for them to jump with me still 30 feet away from them, than to do so as I blow by them! I really don't like people that don't like to be disliked Clowning around. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Chris UK

I think I have the answer here. Not only soft shoe but incognito too Smile

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I think Chris UK is trying to get me killed!! (just kidding) Big grin All those annoyed with me, tired, grouchy, dog owners in my area are going to let the dogs out to hunt that giant jogging bunny down!

Michelle

My 12 year old does have a loud step when he runs. This morning as we were running his steps almost pounded in my head. I'm sure it's just me being paranoid, his steps can't possibly be THAT loud. Smile

Michelle