Ran double-digit distance at single-digit pace for the first time (Read 916 times)

derek

Today for the first time, I ran a double-digit distance at a single-digit pace.....just barely :-) I ran 10 miles at a 9:57 min/mile pace. My previous pace for 10 miles was 10:01. It was tough in the last 2 miles for me to keep the pace as I was getting tired, but I'm glad I gave it that extra effort.

Derek

va

Nice work Derek. Great progress!!!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*bows* Man, that is a goal of mine! I think the fastest I ever did double-digit mileage was during my HM, and that was at about 10:15 pace. My goal for next year's HM is to do it under 2 hours, so that would do it. I've got my work cut out for me...hopefully dropping 20#s will help! Derek, I can't recall if I asked you this before, but what effect have you found weight loss to have on your pace? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Derek, I can't recall if I asked you this before, but what effect have you found weight loss to have on your pace?
          It's hard to tell how much the weight loss helped. After all, I was also a beginner runner, and as a beginner, improvements come much easier. I've also been building my mileage each week and that helps too. Obviously the weight loss helps, but I don't think I can quantify it. I have a dumb-bell set that acts a doorstop these days, but it comes in a case and the whole thing weighs about 45 lbs. When I lift it, it is heavy and it's hard to imagine running with that much weight. I want to lose 20 more lbs, but even then it would be hard to judge the performance impact since I'm still building mileage (and will be until I get to 40-50 per week) and I plan to start doing speed work this week.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's hard to tell how much the weight loss helped. After all, I was also a beginner runner, and as a beginner, improvements come much easier. I've also been building my mileage each week and that helps too. Obviously the weight loss helps, but I don't think I can quantify it. I have a dumb-bell set that acts a doorstop these days, but it comes in a case and the whole thing weighs about 45 lbs. When I lift it, it is heavy and it's hard to imagine running with that much weight. I want to lose 20 more lbs, but even then it would be hard to judge the performance impact since I'm still building mileage (and will be until I get to 40-50 per week) and I plan to start doing speed work this week.
            Yeah, that's very true. Your increase in speed is probably a 50/50 thing. That is fun lifting something that is close to the poundage a person has lost. My son (almost 6) weighs about as much as I have lost over the last few years--I can't pick him up anymore (in part because he is long and lanky). Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Well done! That's fantastic. It's great for me seeing what people can do when they are consistant with their running. Claire xxxx
            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                This is GREAT. Keep up with your training and soon you will be doing Boston. Ewa
                I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

Finished!

that's fantastic progress! well done!
                  Walk + Jog = wog.
                  I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                  I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry

Prophet!

nice one, way to tough it out at the end.
                      Great work! Congrats Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

Awesome job, man! Keep it up! OK, I'll throw in a whoot! whoot! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Excellent work!! Keep it up. Smile