Marathon in 3 weeks - thoughts and comments from the forumites. (Read 102 times)

No more marathons

Looking for some thoughts, comments and advice on my upcoming marathon.

First – a little history.  This will be my third marathon in 27 weeks.  I signed up while in the middle of my training for the first (late August).  This is the inaugural marathon on the grounds of the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and I signed up for that reason.  At that time the goal was to BQ in August, run the Asheville as a long training run, and then Boston 6 weeks later.  Well, the August marathon was a bust (hot and stupid) but I did manage to get my BQ 9 weeks later – no sense in letting all that training go to waste.  Unfortunately, Boston for 2013 was closed by then so I won’t be going until 2014.  So, what to do with Asheville?

I’ve kept my training up (well, mostly), averaging a little over 40 mpw for the past 12 weeks, with 4 16s, 2 18s and 1 19.  The last 16 was today with the middle 12 at 8:33 pace.  Also during that 12 weeks I had a new PhOM PR for the 10K of 45:12 which gives me a McMillan marathon time of 3:32 (NFW).

My plan, once this marathon is over is to concentrate on 10K (maybe an occasional half) until Boston 2014.  But what to do for this marathon?  My options are

1. Run easy – shoot for another BQ (3:55) but don’t worry about it.  Enjoy the day.
    2. Go for a PhOM PR (need to go under 3:47:30)
    3. Bust it – shoot for 3:35 and forget the pain – it will only hurt for a few days.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...I had a new PhOM PR for the 10K of 45:12 which gives me a McMillan marathon time of 3:32 (NFW).

What's "PhOM" ?

What's NFW ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No more marathons

PhOM = Fat old man

NFW = no fk way

By the way - love your profile pic.

He's a leaker!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

If your 3:47:30 was 'near' your 45:43 10K, all things (course terrain, your weight etc) being equal, my crystal ball race estimating spreadsheet (Greg Maclin's spreadsheet) suggests you should aim at 3:44 now.

Julia1971

Not related to your question, but I would love to tour the Biltmore estate.  I hear it's fabulous.

To your question...  I wouldn't get so wrapped up with times.  But, if I have to vote (this would have made a good poll), I'd go with #3.  It's a race so run your hardest.  And, your last marathon was in...  October?  And, your next goal race isn't until... next year?  Race it.

No more marathons

If your 3:47:30 was 'near' your 45:43 10K, all things (course terrain, your weight etc) being equal, my crystal ball race estimating spreadsheet (Greg Maclin's spreadsheet) suggests you should aim at 3:44 now.

The marathon was the first week in November and the 10K was last weekend.  I did run the marathon conservatively, mainly wanted to get the BQ - felt that was easily obtainable and didn't want to jerpardize that by over reaching (like I did in August).  So, yeah, something lower than 3:45 should be reachable.

Thanks for the input.

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Not related to your question, but I would love to tour the Biltmore estate.  I hear it's fabulous.

To your question...  I wouldn't get so wrapped up with times.  But, if I have to vote (this would have made a good poll), I'd go with #3.  It's a race so run your hardest.  And, your last marathon was in...  October?  And, your next goal race isn't until... next year?  Race it.

I've run a 15K on the Biltmore grounds, and this will run part of that course plus lots of miles that visitors don't usually get to see.  Should be a nice race.  Because it is on private property, and the estate will be open for regular trafic later, they will charge $22 for each spectator.  Ouch!

Have lots of races scheduled for later this year, including a 10K on the 4th of July and an annual 5 mile race up Grandfather mountain a week later.  This one has a 1500 ft elevation gain over the 5 miles.  Run it each of the last 5 years.

He's a leaker!

Julia1971

I've run a 15K on the Biltmore grounds, and this will run part of that course plus lots of miles that visitors don't usually get to see.  Should be a nice race.  Because it is on private property, and the estate will be open for regular trafic later, they will charge $22 for each spectator.  Ouch!

Have lots of races scheduled for later this year, including a 10K on the 4th of July and an annual 5 mile race up Grandfather mountain a week later.  This one has a 1500 ft elevation gain over the 5 miles.  Run it each of the last 5 years.

I imagine it'll be beautiful.  I'm jealous....  Race it.  Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It sounds like you are considering running it easy, moderate, or hard.

As you have little at risk, and plan to shift training focus afterward, it seems to me that you can choose whichever you feel like.

I think:

The upside to running it hard is that you have this convenient opportunity where you're not emotionally invested in success.

I suppose a downside would be if you think failing or blowing up would haunt you and detract from your subsequent 10K training.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.