2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- ah nice, okay!

read your RR. sorry about the disappointing race. Doesn't sound like you necessarily made any mistakes, just didn't have the muscle tension you needed. onto the next one!

rovatti- oh no! hope the strain heals.

pj- as usual (is this just me?) i don't really know what you're talking about, it seems like you post stuff with very little context. sounds like you've moved, you're at 5700 ft elevation and not 4400 ft elevation, and somewhere in the realm of reno?

i did a 5k yesterday, where i saw jim!

i haven't had a bad race yet this season ... so here it was. feeling generally fit and have been trying to change my attitude to improve confidence, they say these things help performance. so while my mind has been in a "just trying to break 20 minutes in the 5k!" place for a couple years, that's not really the runner i am anymore, as of about a year ago. so i decided based on recent performances i could aim to pull off sub-6:10 pace for a flat 5k where i have performed well in the past couple years. The course was slightly different this year due to construction, and while I usually don't care much to analyze garmin distance/tangents/etc (it is what it is), I actually think it may have been about 0.1mi long. The volunteers the morning of didn't know what the course detour would be, they were moving cones around 20min before the start, etc. Not very impressed. (The race was put on by one of our local teams, so you'd think it'd run smoothly).

I went out too fast... (*kicks self*) because I felt pretty good in the little pack where I was. 5:57, yikes. I really did feel good in the moment, but I had no business doing that. At my last 5k I "went by feel" and ended up being a bit conservative in the beginning and then had a great last mile. So I was trying to not look at my watch and follow a similar strategy, but I think I got cocky, just looking around at where I was in the field/who I was near (racing the same people all the time). The pain pours in at about 1.5 miles, oof, but then also on a tiny downhill part onto a bike path I felt a hitch in my butt. And it just got worse from there, by mile 2 many of my teammates passed me, blah blah, finished really poorly. Felt like I was working as hard as I could have, but that was still slow. Finished just over 20 minutes (for potentially 3.2miles), pretty terrible.

Mainly I'm worried now because my hamstring/glute attachment feels gnarly. I rolled a bunch after the race but my brief attempt at a cooldown jog did not feel good, weird gait. Have a massage on Friday which is good, but still a bit concerned about what to do until then. I did my typical warmup stuff before the race so I'm not sure what caused this. (I admittedly have been very bad about strength/pre-hab this season.)

/pity party

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Just fine here. There have been some tornadoes fairly close, within 15 miles or so, that caused a couple fatalities and a little bit of damage. Those came out of nowhere - it's basically unheard of for a tornado to come from the type of thunderstorms they did. Chances of storms again this evening through tomorrow, so hopefully nothing comes of that.
      Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but at least it's pretty mild, and here's hoping the meds help.
      Looking to read the RR when I have a bit of time to do so.

Rovatti - Too bad the strain, hopefully that heals soon. How do you like the Peloton?

RLK - Bummer about the race, but mostly about the hip/glute attachment. You might try some heat on it - the hamstring gets pretty poor circulation, and heat could help improve that and thus recovery.

PJ - Bonus points for being vague.

Alright, after some down weeks for sickness (either mine, DW's, or the kiddos) I've now gotten two consecutive, solid weeks in. Hopefully I can continue that this week and make it a trend! I've wanted to run from my place to the in-law's for a couple years now, and finally got a chance to do that. I even found a mini-excavator by the roadside at about mile 10 so I could get a comfy place to rest for a couple minutes.

Monday, May 20, 2019 thru Sunday, May 26, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
      Mon 8.6 7:56 Waiting for the storms to hit - Watopia 145 (74%) strava
      Tue 11.3 7:06 5x (4 min HM effort, 2 min E, 4 min 5k effort, 2 min E)- NYC 149 (76%) strava
      Wed 10.7 8:17 1 owl, 1 rabbit, & 2 deer (2 strides, plus 4 deer strides for Ace) 137 (70%) strava
      Thu 10.6 8:21 A skunk fighting an armadillo, a hawk catching a frog, and a turtle in a stream 151 (77%) strava
      Fri 8.5 7:06 5 intervals for however long it took me to fatigue "just so" 155 (79%) strava
      Sat 17.7 8:04 Over the hills and across the plains to the in-law's pool I go 148 (76%) strava
        67.4 7:50

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all.  I don't think I officially posted the report here, so here you go: https://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2019/05/race-report-loudoun-street-mile-may-27.html

RLK - sympathies on the race - 3 miles can be forever when it all goes south.

Re: the hamstring/glute thing - as someone who deals with that regularly, I've found that getting a deep massage directly to that area right under the butt is extremely counter-productive.  You just aggravate the sciatic nerve, which then tightens everything up.  Obviously you know what is best for you, but I've found the most success by having the LMT work lightly on the belly of the hamstring, skip that hamstring attachment all together, and then dig into the psoas and quads on the other side.

CK - glad you're OK, and yay for consistent weeks!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- that's good advice to keep at top of mind, thanks! This area is a common niggle for me, so I've had it worked on before. I don't recall my LMT doing work directly into the lower butt, but he usually starts string-by-string in the belly of the hamstring ... and I start to block out my sensory perceptions from there (yowza).

have you found what the root of the issue is, or some way to stay ahead of it?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

have you found what the root of the issue is, or some way to stay ahead of it?

The magic for me has been:

a) plenty of psoas/quad stretching - I spend 10 minutes doing it every day (seriously)

b) making sure that you are firing off of your glutes when running; when the glutes are quiet, the hamstrings do more work.  So.. that means a lot of single leg deadlifts, bridges, and step-up exercises.  I do single leg deadlifts with very light weights before each run - I don't run until I feel the glute firing on each side.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

The magic for me has been:

a) plenty of psoas/quad stretching - I spend 10 minutes doing it every day (seriously)

b) making sure that you are firing off of your glutes when running; when the glutes are quiet, the hamstrings do more work.  So.. that means a lot of single leg deadlifts, bridges, and step-up exercises.  I do single leg deadlifts with very light weights before each run - I don't run until I feel the glute firing on each side.

for a), any stretches in particular you have  found useful?

yes, b) is a big deal for sure. lately I've been lazy about SL exercises, but in marathon buildups I am actually quite good about it. And have been doing glute fire exercises before workouts and races (maybe notably, I forgot to yesterday).

thank you!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

for a), any stretches in particular you have  found useful?

I do the "couch stretch" (Google it - it's a cross-fit thing) for 3 minutes on each side for my quads.

[be careful, because you can overdo it at first - important not to force yourself past that point where you're stretching, but not pulling]

Then, for the psoas, I do this stretch - https://fkpssl-martinkoban.netdna-ssl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/hip_flexor_stretch.jpg
                 I modify it some in that I do it in a doorway, with my back on the doorframe - as I hold the stretch, I push the small of my back into the doorframe to ensure that I'm stretching the psoas rather than arching my back.

I used to hold the psoas stretch for 3 minutes each side, but backed off to 90 seconds after a year - I felt like I had accomplished the lengthening of the tissue and just needed to maintain.  And 90 seconds is more pleasant than 3 minutes.

I foam roll before doing these to get the tissue mobile.

I do these on workout/race days about 60-90 minutes before my hard running starts - you don't want to do static stretching close to activity.  On other days, I do in the evenings.

Jim E

rlk - I saw you finish, looked at the clock, and remarked to a buddy "Maybe this changed course is long or something, bit it's looking slow today."  Sorry to hear about the butt-hitch. Some nice info on that from Dwave though. My Garmin said 3.20 too. I ran 21:21 gun which is definitely in the "could do better" zone for me. Having done that in the morning, I flew to the the land of Brexit in the evening, which is where I am now. Stratford upon Avon is full of Chinese tourists with selfie sticks.

Dwave - Bad luck on the front-door back-door passageway issues, but it seems you are on top of it. Personally I would hate that particular set of dietary restrictions. EDIT: I read your mile RR. I've been finding it useful to do some faster running the day before these shorter races: My current favorite is a 5-6 mile run with about 3-5 minutes at race pace in the middle, then some ~30s hill sprints at the end. That puts some sping in my legs. I time the hill sprints against known marks, and the first one is usually the slowest.

PJ - Eh?

Keen - Ugh on the sickness. Did you do a little light excavating while resting on your run?

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- thanks, i will try these out tonight!

jim- aw! yeah, honestly, looking at everyone's times/what i would expect from them, looks like 30 seconds slow across the board. or maybe i'm just saying that to make myself feel better Wink

i stuck around for the men's race but don't think i saw you finish - hope at least your execution was smarter than mine! the "could do better" zone ensures that we always have future goals, heh.

what brings you back to the motherland?

as usual when one is feeling niggly, i am *now* diving into the deep end of the prehab pool. whee!

i ran 2mi last night and 5mi this morning. the first few minutes of each were a bit crunchy, but after that it was mostly better. and this morning felt better than last night.

Running Problem

Problem Child

i did a 5k yesterday, where i saw jim!

i haven't had a bad race yet this season ... so here it was. feeling generally fit and have been trying to change my attitude to improve confidence, they say these things help performance. so while my mind has been in a "just trying to break 20 minutes in the 5k!" place for a couple years, that's not really the runner i am anymore,

/pity party

Here is what I focus on. You're previously a "I want to break 20 for the 5K" runner and now that it is behind you it sounds like this world where you're not sure what to do. Sub 20 is pretty impressive. Plenty here haven't/can't hit that. I still owe you a beer for it. It should keep the confidence high because after so many years of trying to hit it you should still remember the feeling when you finally broke it...twice....in a 7 day period right? No pity party required. You're pretty rockstar.

Oh and pj is in Northern California. The REAL Northern California. 

EDIT: Anyone have suggestions for some kind of speed workout I can do today? I don't want to lose all this fitness I've gained. Marathon training sucks even more when you're out of shape/practice. Plus everyone is running a relay tomorrow so they're probably taking today off.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - There has been talk about the Mona Fartlek over in sub-3:

What is it: A continuous 20 minute fartlek run performed by alternating between an “on” pace which is on the speedy side, and an “off” pace which is the pace of your typical easy run. There are no stop breaks. It can be a float in harder efforts.

What to do:

2 mile easy warmup jog
                        2 x (90sec on, 90 sec off)
                        4 x (60 sec on, 60 sec off)
                        4 x (30 sec on, 30 sec off)
                        4 x (15 sec on, 15 sec off)
                        1-2 mile easy cooldown jog

I think Max (is he doing ok? What's he up to?) has put a 20 minute tempo run with half-mile easy recovery prior to the shorter sections.

All of the kiddos are off with my parents for the weekend, so it's very quiet around here. I'll miss the local road mile Friday evening heading out there myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing what times people run. The forecast looks like nothing but thunderstorms for a solid week starting Saturday morning, so hopefully things don't get interesting due to that.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - There has been talk about the Mona Fartlek over in sub-3:

What is it: A continuous 20 minute fartlek run performed by alternating between an “on” pace which is on the speedy side, and an “off” pace which is the pace of your typical easy run. There are no stop breaks. It can be a float in harder efforts.

What to do:

2 mile easy warmup jog
                          2 x (90sec on, 90 sec off)
                          4 x (60 sec on, 60 sec off)
                          4 x (30 sec on, 30 sec off)
                          4 x (15 sec on, 15 sec off)
                          1-2 mile easy cooldown jog

I think Max (is he doing ok? What's he up to?) has put a 20 minute tempo run with half-mile easy recovery prior to the shorter sections.

All of the kiddos are off with my parents for the weekend, so it's very quiet around here. I'll miss the local road mile Friday evening heading out there myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing what times people run. The forecast looks like nothing but thunderstorms for a solid week starting Saturday morning, so hopefully things don't get interesting due to that.

90 seconds on...so 400 meter-ish at a hard pace. Sounds DO able I guess. It's so weird though...like...how would I keep track of how many of which time I'm on...or am I off? How many fingers does this workout require?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

90 seconds on...so 400 meter-ish at a hard pace. Sounds DO able I guess. It's so weird though...like...how would I keep track of how many of which time I'm on...or am I off? How many fingers does this workout require?

I have a workout for it loaded into my watch. Not that I've used it yet, but it's on my to-do list. Of course that would require actually launching it correctly, and not buggering up the workout... 

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have a workout for it loaded into my watch. Not that I've used it yet, but it's on my to-do list. Of course that would require actually launching it correctly, and not buggering up the workout... 

It's too bad that Garmin doesn't allow sharing of workouts, so one person could program it and then share the workout.

Rovatti - Too bad the strain, hopefully that heals soon. How do you like the Peloton?

If you log in to a Peloton class from home you might see me in the studio audience - (there are 55 bikes in the Chelsea studio which is near my apt).

For the past 2 yrs, I've had a seemingly-unending string of niggles & injuries from running. I like to spin & sweat, and these classes get me juiced up.