Wisdom teeth coming out Monday - what to eat? (Read 1455 times)

Well, I am finally getting my wisdom teeth taken out Monday morning. All four. So impacted they're basically perpendicular to my other molars. Eek. Anyway, I've been warned by some friends about all kinds of things related to recovering from this... not looking forward to it at all... but what kind of foods should I eat? Just applesauce and pudding for days? How long am I going to be avoiding solid foods for?? 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Rookie Runner

I just had mine out in October (on my 38th birthday... what a gift!).  I started with pudding and I think I had broccoli soup for dinner that night.  It didn't take me too long to graduate to toast, and I think I was back to real food in 3 days.

I only had 3 wisdom teeth (which explains a LOT!), and only 1 was impacted, therefore, I offer this disclaimer:  YMMV.

Best of luck to you!!!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

No worries.  It'll be fun.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

And don't suck hard on anything (yeah, yeah, innuendo bingo). Drinks through straws, ice lollies, anything like that, as it seems to have a nasty habit of helping to dislodge any clot that's formed.

Soft stuff, stuff without bits that can fall down holes, that seems to include baked beans for me (but I guess you probably don't have them, but haricots etc).  I had 3 out in one go and I think I was on (warm rather than hot) soup with bread more or less dissolved in it the first night, and then was on soft stuff for some time afterwards, but it really depends on how well you heal and so on.   Your mouth will probably dictate how long it will take to be back on normal food, but enjoy the excuse to eat ice cream for a while.

I hope it goes okay, listen to people's warnings, but try not to worry too much.  If you do think things are getting worse, then get it seen to sooner rather than later.  Good luck.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jello shots.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

No worries.  It'll be fun.

Hahaha, but I've been able to experience that without needing my teeth yanked from my mouth.... and I hate jello shots. 

Hoppity and jmpopovic -- thanks for sharing your experiences!!! 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Rookie Runner

You're welcome!  I can only hope that your procedure and recovery go as well as mine did Smile

Oh, speaking of recovery... I had unrealistic expectations.  I thought I'd be pain-free in a few days.  I did have some lingering pain for about two weeks (not severe, in fact, I still haven't finished off all the pain pills they prescribed me), but my oral surgeon said that was completely normal.

I have to really carefully monitor my recovery. I have four weeks to get into good playing shape before I'm off to play in an orchestra all summer in Colorado. Gotta make sure I start playing horn when I am totally ready to. 

I just had mine removed april 15th. It was pretty much the worst experience of my life. Not gonna lie. I did everything right and still got 3 dry sockets and an infection in one of the top ones that caused a sinus infection. It took about a week for me to open my mouth wide enough to eat normal food and maybe 2 for me to not have a constant headache and feel normal running. Nobody warned me. Im warning you.

Oh..and im still "irrigating" my sockets everytime I eat something...which is super fun. Hopefully you have a better experience.

A Saucy Wench

Soft foods are good...but too much sugar can be bad.  I had problems with irritation from milkshakes.  Seriously. WTF.  Broth.  Pureed soups.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

keeponrunning

I ate a lot of yogurt and scrambled eggs, and I found I was able to run after 2 days.  I had the lovely experience of having a music festival the next day for piano, which was interesting.  It was about a week or so before I was able to play flute again.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I just had mine removed april 15th. It was pretty much the worst experience of my life. Not gonna lie. I did everything right and still got 3 dry sockets and an infection in one of the top ones that caused a sinus infection. It took about a week for me to open my mouth wide enough to eat normal food and maybe 2 for me to not have a constant headache and feel normal running. Nobody warned me. Im warning you.

This happened to me too, when I had mine out several years ago.  My face swelled up like a balloon.  Not saying this is normal, but it does happen.  In which case, no solid food or horn playing for a while.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Rookie Runner

Oh, that reminds me... swelling... Be diligent in putting the ice on for 20 minutes then taking it off for 20... rinse, soak, spin, repeat...