Lifting Weights and Marathon Training (Read 2298 times)

VandyMontana

I've started to weight train while I'm training for my next Marathon (August 1st).  I'm still banking 45-60 mpw, and lifting 3x/week.  My main goal is to gain some more strength from some of the supportive muscles in my legs that may not get used during the repeated motion of running.  

So far I have split the three lifting days into:  Legs/Chest, Biceps/Back, Triceps/Shoulders.  I do 3-4 sets of 15-17 reps, failing on the last 1-2 sets.  

For legs I'm doing some squats, Romanian Deadlifts, Leg Curls, and Leg Extensions, with some added lunges later.

What do you guys think about lifting, in general and with this regiment?  Am I overdoing it?  I was sore the first week but this has died off.  I haven't noticed any more fatigue in my running.

Thoughts?  

Thanks!

http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/
      It seems like since you've been doing it for a little while and you haven't noticed anything besides the first week break-in which is completely normal.. that you're alright. I'm looking to start lifting again because I lost 43 pounds and really knocked off a lot of arm size on my way down and I look way too skinny. I lifted while I was in PT for my achilles tendinosis and was benching a max 175 and right now I at least look like I can only push 135 max. Many marathon runners in the high-end seem to incorporate a lot of lifting but in small 3 set doses with high reps, exactly like you're doing. I think you're doing it right, I wouldn't imagine it doing anything but good for your runs.
      xor

Random thoughts:

+ Lifting is good cross training but it won't help your running as much as "more running".  However, it has lots of important side benefits.  I do it because I am past 40 and I want to slow down muscle loss (unavoidable as you age) and I want to look good naked.

+ If you are using machine, 4 sets is overkill.  Most machines isolate big muscle groups and ignore stabilizer muscles.  Free weights are a little better if you have someone to spot, but anyway... 4 sets is 1 or 2 too many for most folks.

+ 17 reps is a lot.  "High reps" is the right approach for a runner... but "high" is 12-15 for me.  Instead of doing 17, crank the weight up a little and do 12.

+ Lifting to failure is overrated.  You can do this, but you don't need to do this.  You are increasing your risk of injury, though perhaps not that much. Then again....

+ Do something for your calves.

+ Do something for your abs.  And not the typical washboard ab crunch.  There are lots of great exercises... see runnersworld.com or Advanced Marathoning.

+ In my opinion, if running is more important to you than lifting, then typically run before you lift.  Except for certain training sessions where you are trying to train your body to run faster when tired.  For these. lifting before can be helpful.

Ok then.

(fwiw, I am a part-time personal trainer with various EIEIO certifications and an extreme marathoner, so I'm not completely talking out of my ass.  Just partly)

I lifted 3x a week over winter to can strength as you said, plus could not run much with knee injury.  From Jan to Marathon in may I started to lift less and less probably 2 x Jan and Feb, 1 x Mar and April to maintain and did not lift at all last month of training.

If it is working for you than I say good but running 45 MPW and lifting 3x a week may be a strain on body but only you would know.

For me primary reason was having a natural  lifters/football body instead of runners body I tend to bulk up too much so try to limit to strenthen as supplement to the running.

Now that i think of it I need to hit the gym soon!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

chrimbler

FWIW...I am not a personal trainer and don't have any fancy schmancy certificates, so this will be coming out of my ass!

I workout my whole body twice a week, I tried three, but found it did not do anything more than twice did, other than taking away from a quality run. But everyone is different, just thought I'd throw it out there  

Run like you stole it!
            VandyMontana

I have the football body as well and have lost 30+ lbs. as well.  I'm looking to lose about 10 more and lose some BF% as well.  

I do almost all free weights.  I hate machines.  I'm not bashful about asking for a spot.  

I also do it for the 'social' aspect as I working for my old man on his ranch, so I don't see many people during the normal day. 

I mix it up as far as running first or lifting first.  Depends a lot on weather and when I get to the gym.  

Thanks!

http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Seems like you are on the right track.  Lifting is great for injury prevention.  I agree with SRL though, 17 reps is too high.  It is a general misconception that people have when they don't want to "bulk up".  Typically you have to go below about 8 reps in a set to get into that phase.  I would try to hit 10-12 reps.  First set relatively easy, second by the 11 or 12 you are getting close to failure, 3rd you probably need a little help on 11 and 12.  There is a huge difference between muscle fatigue and muscle failure.

My credentials, I lifted hard for 4 years.  Went from about 5'10" 125 to 6'1" 185.  I played football, but I don't think I have a football players body.  Except maybe my upper legs.

My credentials, I lifted hard for 4 years.  Went from about 5'10" 125 to 6'1" 185.  I played football, but I don't think I have a football players body.  Except maybe my upper legs.

So you're saying if I lift 10-12 reps I can get taller?  Sweet.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

Mr 5'7 here has lifted for 25ish years (minus a 4 year break in the middle). 

Didn't work for me Sad.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Indeed, just hang from the pull-up bar with some ankle weights on.  It will happen.

Indeed, just hang from the pull-up bar with some ankle weights on.  It will happen.

Isn't that for fertility?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Since I've been sidelined with retarded injuries, I've been lifting WAY more. I do all free weights in my living room, 4 sets of 8 repeats. I've noticed my arms are getting way more muscle than before. Like a lot lol. Not sure if that's a good thing regarding my running tho. I also do 50 pushups/day but that is just for the army PT test. You wanna share some of your free weight exercises so I can steal them? I have a pretty good routine, but I only do uppers with them. Thanks!

Menace to Sobriety

(so I'm not completely talking out of my ass.)

Say it ain't so

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Prince of Fatness

I'm not completely talking out of my ass.  Just partly

I'm not sure even where to start with this.

Not at it at all. 

I started throwing in weight lifting a little while ago.  This is the first time to learn that 4 sets is overkill (but I am glad because I think the 4 sets I have been doing feels a bit much). 

I try to keep it simple, so as not to interfere with my running.  

One day a week: I do a set of abs, followed by a set of lat pull down (xs 4 sets)

Another day: chest press, shoulder press, chest fly (x 4 sets)

Once I am able to do 12 reps in all four sets, I move up the weight.  

Because I work on one muscle while the previous one is resting, each of these workouts takes me no more than 10 minutes! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus