Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

TBE

Okay I'm going to give this a go.   On paper no chance, but I'm coming off a long (20 years?) layoff, have fresh legs, am training well and seem to be getting some bounce and some speed back in the legs.  

My PR from my teens was around 16:30, but that was nearly 30 years ago.   Stay tuned.  

Last night I decided to run something quicker on the treadmill and ran a 5k in 22:54.

Mile splits 7:32, 7:32, 7:11.

I will set a short term goal of sub 22 by the end of January.

Ran a 22:27 on the treadmill today. This one hurt a little more but sub 22 should be quite manageable by month's end. Splits 7:21, 7:18, 7:10.

Good to see old pals and new folks on this thread. 

I will be running a club track 5k on 1/23.  Hope to run a new PR.

kcam

Good to see old pals and new folks on this thread. 

I will be running a club track 5k on 1/23.  Hope to run a new PR.

Glad to hear you're gonna run the WVJS track 5K.  Maybe we can both run PRs. 

Hey, I see that you haven't been updating your RA log - have you done any workouts specific to 5K?  I've done a few intervals but, as usual, geared towards endurance and not really speed.  Pays off in the long distances, though, as I ran a 10mile PR Sunday at the Cal 10.  WVJS cleaned up at the race - 1st in AG for Jim, Neil G. and myself while Ron K. took 2nd in AG.  I should be in good enough shape to run well at the track 5K.  See you out there.

21:34 on the treadmill tonight.

I beat my goal of sub 22 way early...My goal was to do this by the end of January and I really am not running that many miles yet but I thought what the hay? Why not give it a serious try and get it out of the way so I can focus on a new goal.

Mile splits

7:03

6:50

0:40 last tenth.

7:03 felt very comfortable for the 1st mile, so I thought a 7:00 pace was possible.

After 2 miles I gave up going for sub 7 minutes I was too fatigued... I slowed down to about 7:10 pace but

after a couple minutes of that I was refreshed and blazed the last 1/2 mile fairly strong.

Last year I ran a 21:21 on the treadmill in mid February on very little mileage so I figure I am about a month ahead of last year when I fell 6 seconds short of breaking 20. At any rate I figure the treadmill is about 30 seconds faster than outdoors until I get into the groove outside again so I am at roughly 22 minute pace right now. Not bad  I will take that.

Does that mean I must try to break 21 by February?

Ken,

I am almost done with entering my latest run into the log.  My training was interrupted by a bad flu the end of last year.  I am still not back to 100%.  Will run the club race this Sat morning as another tempo run.  I ran the triangle course as 2x15min tempo runs last Sat and it was tougher than I expected.

Geo

Hey, I see that you haven't been updating your RA log - have you done any workouts specific to 5K?  I've done a few intervals but, as usual, geared towards endurance and not really speed.  Pays off in the long distances, though, as I ran a 10mile PR Sunday at the Cal 10.  WVJS cleaned up at the race - 1st in AG for Jim, Neil G. and myself while Ron K. took 2nd in AG.  I should be in good enough shape to run well at the track 5K.  See you out there.

Michigan, if you just up your miles gradually, you can break 21 and 20  very soon.

21:34 on the treadmill tonight.

I beat my goal of sub 22 way early...My goal was to do this by the end of January and I really am not running that many miles yet but I thought what the hay? Why not give it a serious try and get it out of the way so I can focus on a new goal.

Mile splits

6:50

0:40 last tenth.

7:03 felt very comfortable for the 1st mile, so I thought a 7:00 pace was possible.

After 2 miles I gave up going for sub 7 minutes I was too fatigued... I slowed down to about 7:10 pace but

after a couple minutes of that I was refreshed and blazed the last 1/2 mile fairly strong.

Last year I ran a 21:21 on the treadmill in mid February on very little mileage so I figure I am about a month ahead of last year when I fell 6 seconds short of breaking 20. At any rate I figure the treadmill is about 30 seconds faster than outdoors until I get into the groove outside again so I am at roughly 22 minute pace right now. Not bad  I will take that.

Does that mean I must try to break 21 by February?

kcam

So you're not gonna run the All Comers meet this Saturday?  I am 75% sure I'm running in Los Gatos (400m and 1mile), 25% maybe running the Club race.  I'll decide tomorrow.

Ken,

I am almost done with entering my latest run into the log.  My training was interrupted by a bad flu the end of last year.  I am still not back to 100%.  Will run the club race this Sat morning as another tempo run.  I ran the triangle course as 2x15min tempo runs last Sat and it was tougher than I expected.

Geo

Not feeling good enough to really race yet.  My real race will probably be the 1/23 club track 5k.  I will try not to let you lap me twice 

I may try the All comers meet on 1/30.

So you're not gonna run the All Comers meet this Saturday?  I am 75% sure I'm running in Los Gatos (400m and 1mile), 25% maybe running the Club race.  I'll decide tomorrow.

GST

I'm going to race on 01/23 to see how much fitness I have lost in the last 3 months since I did any respectable training.  Last 5K is 21:45.  I'm sure this will be slower, but I'm not going to give up my goal until 11:59 on December 31, tell ya what.  Wink  But it will be good to get a benchmark for where I am NOW so I can use that going forward.

Nice 10 mile PR Ken this early in the year - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in your 400m/mile double too, especially the 400m!  That'll be a blast I reckon!

kcam

Thanks Robin.  Unfortunately, I bagged the track races yesterday.  I did a mountain bike ride that trashed my calfs on Thursday.  Yesterday they were still just a bit sore so I decided not to race those short, fast distances.  I did run down to the track and watch the races but I wasn't tempted to race!  By the way, the scheduling of the meet doesn't allow enough recovery time between the 400 and the mile.  So my plan was to alternate the 400 / 2mile with 800 / 1mile double.  So far, three weeks into the series, I've not run once!  Another BTW, in keeping with the subject of the thread, I think last summer's track series really helped me bring my 5K times down.  I'm looking for more this year.

How's your running/training going, Robin?  Do I recall correctly that you're planning on focusing on shorter distances this year?

Ken

Ken, too bad you weren't able to race yesterday.  So, will you double up and do the 5k in the morning next Sat, then the all-comers meet?

I did the club 2.75 mile race yesterday as a short tempo run.  I think I finished exactly at 6:40 pace which is my tempo pace.  It was a very good workout.  I was encouraged by the fact that I didn't slow down in the last uphill section of the course up the Fruitvale road.

Thanks Robin.  Unfortunately, I bagged the track races yesterday.  I did a mountain bike ride that trashed my calfs on Thursday.  Yesterday they were still just a bit sore so I decided not to race those short, fast distances.  I did run down to the track and watch the races but I wasn't tempted to race!  By the way, the scheduling of the meet doesn't allow enough recovery time between the 400 and the mile.  So my plan was to alternate the 400 / 2mile with 800 / 1mile double.  So far, three weeks into the series, I've not run once!  Another BTW, in keeping with the subject of the thread, I think last summer's track series really helped me bring my 5K times down.  I'm looking for more this year.

How's your running/training going, Robin?  Do I recall correctly that you're planning on focusing on shorter distances this year?

Ken

Ken

Oh well, there's always the next set of races - I love the idea of those doubles - I'll have to find something similiar in the UK this summer, especially given the results you got from mixing it up last year.  My running has been a bit up and down over new year but I've settled into a nice training pattern recently.  I'll definitely be running some shorter races this year - I'm especially keen to run a decent 5k, as I haven't got that race even close to right yet in my first few attempts.

Cheers, Robin.

SHOULD we start a 2010 sub 20 thread to make it easier to find posts?

I shaved another 15 seconds off my yearly best on the treadmill with a 21:19 effort tonight.

I only ran 3 miles in the last 7 days and am really wondering if I have the desire this year but I still believe I could drop my times so I went out at a good pace and held on much easier than I figured it would be.

Mile splits 7:01, 6:57, 6:41

I have run around 40 miles this year and probably 120 since late September so the fast times are surprising to me.