Socks? (Read 771 times)

Beware, batbear...

I bought a lightweight trainer that fits a little tighter than my regular shoe (around the heel) and I'm needing a lighter weight, wicking sock, or possibly to run without socks.

Do any of you have suggestions for thinner socks or running without socks?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Lazy idiot

Can you return the shoe for a bigger size?  That's what I'd do.

I would definitely not run without socks (unless you're also running without shoes).

Tick tock

...---...

My tighter fitting lightweight trainers aren't so tight in cooler months but that being said, I've had great luck with varying Drymax brands. Balega ventilator is thin wicking sock I use on occasion. Drymax is the best, IMO.

Balega Ventilator

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Patzer

I just started using Drymax socks and I've very pleased with them.  The varieety of sizes, formats, and thicknesses means you can probably find just what you need.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

Can you return the shoe for a bigger size?  That's what I'd do.

I would definitely not run without socks (unless you're also running without shoes).

My wife along with a few friends that compete in Triathlons always run with out socks. Running without socks saves time in the transition area and could mean not medalling in your age group. She wears socks on longer then 5k runs only.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bolega makes a light weight sock that makes sweet love to your feet.

But if the shoes are too small, I'd return them.

Lazy idiot

My wife along with a few friends that compete in Triathlons always run with out socks. Running without socks saves time in the transition area and could mean not medalling in your age group. She wears socks on longer then 5k runs only.

I suppose if you train for it, you'd be cool.  But I'm a-scared of blisters, so I don't even want to think about it.

Tick tock

I'd also consider how high up the achilles the sock goes.  I recently bought a tight-fitting lightweight trainer which has a thin sock-liner.  The new thin, quick-dry socks I bought wouldn't go/stay up high enough. I got some serious blisters back there. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus