Does height affect speed of short distance runners (100M, 200M)? (Read 98 times)

Clevs

I want to investigate wether the two affect each other as I always wondered, If you are part of a club and do 100M or 200M races would you mind sharing your height and the speed (for example 22"..) , gender can be included if wanted. It would be very helpful! Big grin

an amazing likeness

That Usain Bolt fella seems to be pretty tall...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ira Murchison, a sprinter in the '50s who equaled, then broke Jesse Owens WR for 100m, was only 5'4".

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Why is it sideways?

Stride length is much more a function of power than height.

Speed is a simple combination of stride length and stride frequency.  While length and frequency are definitely not totally dependent on height or even leg length (which would be more relevant) typically you'll see taller runners have a greater stride length and shorter runners have a greater stride frequency.  Bolt of course is the one guy that is very tall but still has great turnover.  Before Bolt and Powell most of the  world's greatest sprinters were of a more normal height (around 6' give or take a bit) but you can certainly have very short or very tall runners that are crazy fast.

Yes.  Everything affects everything.

Glad I could help.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes.  Everything affects everything.

Glad I could help.

Does not. That is some fairy tale about the butterfly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.