In Praise of Allie Kieffer (remember her from last year's NYC Marathon?) (Read 144 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Joann Y

I'm excited to see how it goes for her. She seems like a genuine and hard working person. It's interesting that most of the press about her continues to focus on her body. There is something to say there but I'm hoping she really kicks some ass in the NYC marathon and over the next few years so we will have something else to talk about. I'm dying to know if she is in a romantic relationship with her coach to start. Ha!

kilkee

runktrun

Hudson?  Doubt it; he has ALWAYS been extra interested in ALL his girls...so I don't think it's just her.  And I also don't think he's done anything inappropriate, but he does border on creepy.

I'll admit that in addition to being disappointed in the media coverage continuing to focus on her body, I'm a little disappointed that she continues to as well.  I get the sense that she's not as "over it" as she claims.  No judgment there; I just hope that she doesn't still have lingering doubts about her abilities related to weight and body image festering in her mind.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'll admit that in addition to being disappointed in the media coverage continuing to focus on her body, I'm a little disappointed that she continues to as well.  I get the sense that she's not as "over it" as she claims.  No judgment there; I just hope that she doesn't still have lingering doubts about her abilities related to weight and body image festering in her mind.

I agree.  When someone insists on continually telling you that they are "fine" with something, it's usually an indication that they're really not "fine" with it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Joann Y

Same. She doesn't seem to be "over it" or at least can't seem to help but continue to engage with others who make it a thing. It can't be easy being thrust into the spotlight. She'll figure it out.

kilkee

runktrun

Absolutely wish her the best; I've been there and it is exhausting and fruitless to be at war with your body.  I also know that it's possible to come out the other side stronger and more confident and TRULY give zero fucks and it's very liberating.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Same. She doesn't seem to be "over it" or at least can't seem to help but continue to engage with others who make it a thing. It can't be easy being thrust into the spotlight. She'll figure it out.

The article reads like it's more the author's problem than it is Kieffer's. The press can't let it go, so she can't, perhaps. Anyway, I've got a lot of respect for her as a runner.

Marylander

It seems to me that a lot of people on the leading edge of change, revolution, whatever may keep significant focus on the thing they are 'fighting' against (or on the naysayers) while also pushing to go their own way. It's the ones who follow who reap the benefits so maybe girls/ladies down the road will be able to continue in this direction without having to expend so much energy being 'fine' with their situation.

But OMG, look how fat she is.

Dave

onemile

But OMG, look how fat she is.

It's all relative

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Seventh overall, fourth American woman!

kilkee

runktrun

Happy to see her run a bit faster!  I must admit, I think Brad overtrains his athletes and I was nervous for her, but she seems to have held up well with the mileage and intensity.

Joann Y

Pretty awesome!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Flanagan, Huddle, Linden, Kieffer.  That's some depth for the American women.  For the men, there were four Americans in the top ten, but in TV coverage, anyone past position four are pretty much invisible.  The races for the podium were exciting, nonetheless.

Keitany and Desisa are in a class by themselves.

Joann Y