Improve stride power? (Read 864 times)

I was running with my ipod the other day...Ok stop reading if you hate ipods. Anyway, at 180 bpm I was averaging about 7:20 min/mile. According to this chart (http://run2r.com/Technical+linking-bpm-to-running-speed-usa.aspx) 171 bpm averages around a 6 minute mile which implies that I am understriding and have less power output per stride than the normal people I guess. Anyone have any ideas on why there is such a discrepancy between my experience and this chart? I got to thinking, how can I get a more powerful (and so longer) stride. I don't feel like I'm understriding when I run but clearly the length *must* be less than what is listed in the chart. I am 5'4" tall so I don't have a natural leg length advantage. I don't race with an ipod so I don't know what my turnover is when I go at race pace and can't compare. Anyone else think about this before? Could it be the power to weight ratio is slowing me down? Admittedly I could lose a few lbs. Tongue
    Scout7

Because the chart is crap.
        Thought as much...I wonder if there is any good chart out there correlating this kind of thing?
        Scout7

Thought as much...I wonder if there is any good chart out there correlating this kind of thing?
          No, because there is no correlation. If anything, it's the exact opposite. Force drives stride rate, not the other way around. But even then, there's no exact correlation between the two, other than to say that a person who exerts more force against the ground is more likely to have a higher stride rate and/or longer stride.
            To improve stride power, do Lydiard hill drills or hill repeats up 30% slope for about 4 min, full recovery on the down. (Hey, that's what worked for me - besides lots of running - surely it should work for the entire world. Wink ) Leg length has nothing to do with it, or very, very little. In fact, shorter people have less dead weight of taller people, which need more infrastructure to support the mass, so they have an advantage in speed. Note that the table was developed from "well-seasoned runners". Do you fit that category? To use the table, I'd strive to become a well-seasoned runner, whatever that is. I agree with Scout.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              To improve stride power, do Lydiard hill drills or hill repeats up 30% slope for about 4 min, full recovery on the down. (Hey, that's what worked for me - besides lots of running - surely it should work for the entire world. Wink )
              Thanks, AK! Good on ya! Yeah, hill bounding; steps running (2 steps at a time)--best way to increase stride length. And I will do shameless self-promotion... http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx Particular the second exercise. AKTrail: I wrote my response to your comment at HR vs. pace thread. ;o)
                http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/hilltrainingdvd.aspx Particular the second exercise. AKTrail: I wrote my response to your comment at HR vs. pace thread. ;o)
                I daresay that I don't look that way when I go up a hill! I'll give the bounding exercises a try. Plenty of hills around me now. Good for the "seasoning" eh? Wink Thanks guys.
                  I daresay that I don't look that way when I go up a hill! I'll give the bounding exercises a try. Plenty of hills around me now. Good for the "seasoning" eh? Wink Thanks guys.
                  Note: those are *drills* - not the way you'd actually run a hill normally. Be sure to read / listen to the descriptions. But they do increase the power in one's legs.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

My Hero

Looks like one heck of a glute strengthener!

Feeling the growl again

Ha! I thought these EXACT words before I saw your reply.... HR is only meaningful is you know what it means to YOU. Throw out the charts, they are nothing more than a rough average that may be moderately useful or completely useless. For you, this one is apparently useless.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills