U.S. Olympic Trials (Read 1540 times)

Why is it sideways?

Cool that Lauren Fleshman made the final. Great attitude.

"I visualize a big beautiful lion."

Troy.

Cool that Lauren Fleshman made the final. Great attitude.

"I visualize a big beautiful lion."

Yeah. She's had some tough things this year, but she's kept her head straight and her attitude positive.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

Feeling the growl again

He was in the first heat and you could barely see him and he was rarely mentioned.  He was a non-event.  I was sad about it.  I really wanted him to do well.  I keep waiting for the big comeback.

Heh.  I guess I did see it then.  I expected he would have at least tried to run up front and hit the A standard then blew up.

To clarify, I am glad that the USATF decision was made to look foolish, not that Webb failed.  For Webb personally I know this was a blow, both mentally and potentially financially if his career cannot recover.  It's pretty rare for me to root against an athlete, especially in track.  I'm also a fan of comeback stories (remember Paul McMullen racing himself back into shape and making the WC final in 2002) and would have been happy for him had he advanced.  I'm sure the USATF would have found another issue on which to embarass themselves.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Another thing I noticed because it's been a long time since I've really watched a national caliber meet:  Those distance runners are really thin.  I'm not talking about body fat,  but I mean that they don't look like they do any lifting in their arms at all.  It's not what I expected to see.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

#artbydmcbride

On the other hand, those sprinters are thick with muscle!

Runners run

Another thing I noticed because it's been a long time since I've really watched a national caliber meet:  Those distance runners are really thin.  I'm not talking about body fat,  but I mean that they don't look like they do any lifting in their arms at all.  It's not what I expected to see.

Really? You expected some of the best distance runners to have more defined upper bodies? I'm always surprised when I see the opposite, like the US' 800m winner.

I gotta assume he was joking.  The Solinski's of the world are rare. 

#artbydmcbride

You call an 800m runner a 'distance' runner?

Runners run

You call an 800m runner a 'distance' runner?

Not really, but some people do. Especially sprinters.

It wasn't that long ago when the 800m winners were nearly as slim as the mile+ guys. However, I was watching some of the Pre Classic last night and the first two males in the 800 had the typical distance runner body. Symmonds (sp?) from the US, who looks like a sprinter, came in 3rd. 

Sadly, in middle schools anything beyond 200 is considered distance.. .

Feeling the growl again

It wasn't that long ago when the 800m winners were nearly as slim as the mile+ guys. However, I was watching some of the Pre Classic last night and the first two males in the 800 had the typical distance runner body. Symmonds (sp?) from the US, who looks like a sprinter, came in 3rd. 

There seem to be two types of 800m runners, the 400/800 type (sprinter build) and the 800/1500 type (more distance build).  It's an interesting overlap at that distance.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Womens' 5000m... OMG...OMG...what guts by and a heartbreaker for Lucas....0.04sec...can't believe that last lap...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yes, that might be the saddest 4th place ever - if I understand correctly, Lucas had the A-standard and Conley didn't, so Lucas opened up the opportunity for Conley.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Lucas over under pronates or what.   Really sad for her, but the kick from Conley was awesome, wish they showed a wider field to show how she moved up the filed. If they did I missed it.

Wow! Lagat outkicked

Feeling the growl again

RUPP!!!!!!!!!  Down with Pre's record off a slow start!!!!  Out-kicked Lagat!!!!