Mens or ladies? (Read 894 times)

I am in need of new shoes and I have big feet Blush I went to a local chain running store and the manager fitted me in Men's shoes (I think he didn't have my size in women's). I usually wear Saucony Omni Grid 6 - there are 7's out now. I bought a Mizuno wave Inspire instead (men's) and I ran on the treadmill and my left leg is sore so I'm taking them back. Question: should I wait and get him to order ladies or should I get Men's Saucony Omni 7's? Does it matter? Thanks!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Question: should I wait and get him to order ladies or should I get Men's Saucony Omni 7's? Does it matter?
      Order 2 pairs and rotate them. When it comes to my feet I don't mess around. I rotate between multiple pairs of shoes (most of which are different styles) and make sure that they all fit properly. One nice thing about rotating is I still have shoes to run in when I need to replace a pair.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Hi Blaine So you think it doesn't matter whether I get men's or ladies shoes, then? Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Hi Blaine So you think it doesn't matter whether I get men's or ladies shoes, then? Ruth
          I don't think that it matters as long as the shoe fits correctly. If you had to you could get kid's sizes as long as they fit. (And by you I obviously don't mean you specifically.) The sizing is a little different for men/women/kids sizes, but you just need shoes that fit right.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Supa Dupa Fly

I'm on the other side of the coin...I'm male and have a very small narrow foot. Size 7. Last time I bought shoes I bought women's asics. I've had no issue with them as they fit well. I say buy what fits the best.
            ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
              I'll throw this out there... not sure how valid it is... The podiatrist I go to says that men's running shoes are shaped more like a ladies foot. HE says that womens feet are wider across the toes and narrower at the heel (in general), but that MENs shoes are made this way, not womens. He told me to take a look at mens shoes and see if I felt like they fit better.
                I'm not sure it matters. I can tell you that I am 5' 7" and wear all normal men's clothing (either medium or large sizes depending what I need) EXCEPT Shoes. I must have been a billy goat in my past life because my feet are really small (crazy small) - mens size 5.5 and womens size 7 or 7.5 (of course it all depends on the shoe and so on and so on)... In perspecitve, my son is exactally the same size as me and wears shoes mens size 9. But I have been told that mens and womens running shoes are the same (only the colors are different)...not sure if thats true but since its what I want to believe, I belive it...... I think you are OK with Mens shoes.....I seem to be OK in womens shoes..... Last week I went to look at Asic Nimbus 10 but the store I was at only had PINK.....I might wear ladies sizes, but I refuse to wear ladies colors.......I passed until I can find blue ones......

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll throw this out there... not sure how valid it is... The podiatrist I go to says that men's running shoes are shaped more like a ladies foot. HE says that womens feet are wider across the toes and narrower at the heel (in general), but that MENs shoes are made this way, not womens. He told me to take a look at mens shoes and see if I felt like they fit better.
                  Hmmm...I wonder if your podiatrist has it backwards. I've had to wear men's shoes in the past when there aren't women's alternatives (soccer cleats, cycling shoes). They are always way too big in the heels on me. I've always heard that the differences between men's and women's shoes of the same width and comparable size is that the women's heels are relatively narrower and sometimes the arches are constructed and placed a bit differently, since women are more prone to lower arches (particularly after having kids).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I used to be a hiking boot fitter .We often swaped genders (boots wise guys ) for our customers .The key points of a good fit had to be there. Ie. heel fit, overall length,ball width ,volume (height of foot above the arch ,and I think one dimision that might aply to you is flex point .The place the shoe flexs has to be in the same place your foot flexs.I'm still studying running shoes ,but many points of good fit cross over ,no mater what type of shoe.
                      Hmmm...I wonder if your podiatrist has it backwards. I've had to wear men's shoes in the past when there aren't women's alternatives (soccer cleats, cycling shoes). They are always way too big in the heels on me. I've always heard that the differences between men's and women's shoes of the same width and comparable size is that the women's heels are relatively narrower and sometimes the arches are constructed and placed a bit differently, since women are more prone to lower arches (particularly after having kids).
                      Come to think of it, the men's shoes actually felt quite loose in the heel for me, anyway.