training for first half (Read 182 times)

Iam Bre

I am pretty new to long distance running.  I started a training program on runkeeper to help me with a half marathon in December.  Things have been going great, slowly increasing mileage and pace until last week.  I started noticing that in between runs my knees are achy and then after my six mile run yesterday they were really achy.  I don't think I have an injury, but I don't want to get one either as I am really enjoying running.  I decided to take it easy today.  Tomorrow I am scheduled to do a 10 mile run which will be the longest I have done yet - should I go ahead and do it  ( I will be at the beach  so would be running in sand) or take a few more days off?

Some thoughts on the achiness are - I stopped cross training when I started the half marathon plan because it is running 4 days a week

I haven't been stretching after my runs

Yesterday I bought one of those massage sticks for my legs - I stopped in my local running store and spoke with a trainer there and he suggested to restart the cross training, stretch after each run and use the massage stick and maybe ice pack on my knees after runs.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bre

Hey Iam Bre,   1st off great job on your progress so far!    to me the greatest part of running is, well, the running.   love it,  major part of my lifestyle & will continue to be until completely not able to, which of course hope it never happens.  so my main overall goal is to enjoy & do whatever I can do.  competing in races is like the cherry on top even for us non-elites.

not going to try to diagnose your knee issues, could be several things.  but yeah does not sound like an injury.  there are always new aches & pains from the constant stress or additional stress as you increase mileage or intensity.  just part of it, no matter your age or level.  that sounds like what is happening to you.  You have gone from 0-80 miles/month.   20 miles/week is not alot unless you go from 0-20 in just a few weeks.  that's alot of added stress in a very short time.  give yourself abit of time to adapt,  in other words its okay to drop back for a week or so, your knees & everything else will love you for it.  you have plenty of time to increase your long runs/weekly mileage before your HM.  I would advise you to not do that planned 10 miler today.  knee issues & longest run up to this point-not a good idea.  cut back next few days & see how everything feels & try the 10 miler next weekend.    you have been progressing well so far & no need to push your limits at this point.

The trainer at shoe store offered you great advice but be careful with the stick & stretching if you have not been doing both.  easy to overdo both & cause more issues.  light & gentle & maybe walk a mile or so before to warm up muscles & get blood flowing. crosstraining is good unless it takes energy or time away from actual running, look to find the right balance.  core work is essential for running in the long term scheme of things (for running or general overall fitness). of course you need to make sure you have correct shoes & learning to run with proper form.

great job so far & good luck!   "run happy"

Iam Bre

thanks skye dog!

I just uploaded september - I didn't upload july and august - I did go a bit more gradual then 0 to where I am now - although it has still been pretty quick I suppose!Big grin

Thanks for the response _ I think I may go for a walk today and see how my knees are feeling tomorrow.

I do have the proper shoes with inserts - I could probably use some help on running form.  Anybody know any good websites or is that something I really need to go to a class and see in person?

elasee

FWIW

My knees will start to ache if I either do: (a) too much speed work, or (b) run my easy runs a bit faster than usual. It takes a couple of weeks before my knees will start to feel it, but looking back, those are the reasons for my achy knees. I just cut back until they are back to normal.

Bre  --

'

Can't really add to what Skydog said but I 'll urge you to be VERY CAUTIOUS with stretching.   I've seen a lot of great progress stopped cold just after someone starts stretching because we tend to over stretch and pull muscles.    So be careful.      You 'might' consider some YOGA classes because those YOGA girls (I know its not always girls, but usually it is) usually know what they are doing and can help runners.   If there is a local YEN yoga class, it's particularly good for running and yoga instructors that I have had have kept me from overdoing it.

One other thing, you don't really need to run more than 10 miles for a Half Marathon - especially a first one (my opinion)...   IF you go more than 10, FINE, but a few 10 mile long runs will get you there.     Since your Half Marathon isn't until December you've got plenty of time for a few 10 mile runs, so if I were you I would error on the side of caution - go for a short run - and if you feel any pain walk home and take a hot bath and turn on Football.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hello Iam Bre and congratulations on your success so far and your decission and goal for a HM.  As pointed out to you there are new aches and pains all the time as you continue to increase you miles.  Knee pain can be a number of things and we certainly can't diagnose it for you.

What was said about stretching can be very true, most people tend to overstretch, but what else is important is proper format because improper stretching can be just as bad for you. Here is a link to a decent site for stretching for runners.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/runningworkouts/tp/BestRunningStretches.htm

The other thing, is that you said you were running the beach today.  How often do you run the beach.  I found the beach running was botheirng my legs, knees, ankles etc.  The sand is just too soft and things move different.

Are you icing after your runs?  You might find that helpful as well as ifoprofin (Motrin) both before and after you runs.  I also take move free for joints.  My DR recommended it when I first started running at 50+ years old.

Why don't you come over and join our "Half Marathon Trainers" group, lot's of great people there and plenty of advice and support.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Iam Bre

I usually run on the beach once or twice a month - however after inspecting it yesterday I will not be running there today.  Usually the sand is packed and quite hard but this week the tide changed and it is soft and squishy.  My daughter actually lost her shoe in it yesterday like quicksand!

Thanks for the link about stretching - I can see where people can get injured if they start right in with the advanced stretches.  Since I haven't been stretching at all or gone to yoga in a couple months I think I will take it slow and easy to get started.

Hello Iam Bre and congratulations on your success so far and your decission and goal for a HM.  As pointed out to you there are new aches and pains all the time as you continue to increase you miles.  Knee pain can be a number of things and we certainly can't diagnose it for you.

What was said about stretching can be very true, most people tend to overstretch, but what else is important is proper format because improper stretching can be just as bad for you. Here is a link to a decent site for stretching for runners.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/runningworkouts/tp/BestRunningStretches.htm

The other thing, is that you said you were running the beach today.  How often do you run the beach.  I found the beach running was botheirng my legs, knees, ankles etc.  The sand is just too soft and things move different.

Are you icing after your runs?  You might find that helpful as well as ifoprofin (Motrin) both before and after you runs.  I also take move free for joints.  My DR recommended it when I first started running at 50+ years old.

Why don't you come over and join our "Half Marathon Trainers" group, lot's of great people there and plenty of advice and support.

Larry

Iam Bre

I do need to get back into yoga - I will look for YEN - haven't heard of it.

I hadn't heard that about the ten mile runs - I have been told to train a little over - like 14 or 15 - so you are prepared for the 13.1?

Bre  --

'

Can't really add to what Skydog said but I 'll urge you to be VERY CAUTIOUS with stretching.   I've seen a lot of great progress stopped cold just after someone starts stretching because we tend to over stretch and pull muscles.    So be careful.      You 'might' consider some YOGA classes because those YOGA girls (I know its not always girls, but usually it is) usually know what they are doing and can help runners.   If there is a local YEN yoga class, it's particularly good for running and yoga instructors that I have had have kept me from overdoing it.

One other thing, you don't really need to run more than 10 miles for a Half Marathon - especially a first one (my opinion)...   IF you go more than 10, FINE, but a few 10 mile long runs will get you there.     Since your Half Marathon isn't until December you've got plenty of time for a few 10 mile runs, so if I were you I would error on the side of caution - go for a short run - and if you feel any pain walk home and take a hot bath and turn on Football.....

JML

You might find that helpful as well as ifoprofin (Motrin) both before and after you runs.

This is not a good idea.  Taking NSAIDs before a run can be dangerous.  After a run is not a great idea either.

From Trent:  Link

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

I do need to get back into yoga - I will look for YEN - haven't heard of it.

I hadn't heard that about the ten mile runs - I have been told to train a little over - like 14 or 15 - so you are prepared for the 13.1?

Many will tell you to run up to and more than 13.1 (i.e 14 or 15 miles) because you know you're ready.........and I understand that..

But just like in Marathon training you are better off to get good training all week long instead of one long run on the weekend.   I recommend you keep your long run to no more than 25/30 % of your total weekly distance and make up the difference during the week.   If you run 40 MPW that means a 10 to 12 mile long run.     If you are running 30 MPW then your long run ought to be around 9 miles.     These are 'Rule of Thumb' suggestions but a lot of these running rules of thumb really apply and the 25% long run is one I believe in.

IMHO, You are better off to up your daily runs and/or run more days than to focus on a long run that is too long.     IF you ran 30 MPW every week between now and your race and only ran 9 or 10 for a long run, I'd bet you will run better on race day than if you ran 30 MPW which was shorter daily runs and a long run that is out of whack compared to your total mileage (like 14 or 15 long run).....

What I am saying is the long run is important to your training but its not more important than all the other runs......

NOW - this is how I feel about it - some people might tell you differently.....IF I were you I'd focus on longer daily runs and a shorter long run (MAX out at around 10 every other week or so)......

There is no need for over distance long runs.  I ran my first half marathon off a base of 20 MPW and a peak week of 27 miles.  I did several 10 mile long runs, with the first at 12 MPM, and the last one at 10 MPM.  I tried a 13 mile long run, and had to walk the last two miles.  Then I ran the half marathon at 9 MPM.

You could run a half marathon right now, but expect to be sore for a week afterward.  I suggest running more days per week and keeping the longest runs at ten miles.

some call me Tim

Well, I can relate to the types of pain you've been experiencing from when I trained for my first half and pretty much any time I've bumped my mileage. It seems you're being cautious with yourself which I think is the most important thing. Never be afraid to flout the training plan... I've had a lot of success with that. You'll find that sometimes when you get out there the aches will clear up, particularly on easy runs. I also spend a fair amount of time on grass and trails. They have their own hazards, but it's helpful to have a break from the pounding.

And I wouldn't stress to much about stretching. Do it after if you like how it feels. My experience has been that unless you're doing long-hold static stretches aimed at improving joint mobility, whether you stretch or not makes no difference at all. I *am* a big fan of the self directed soft tissue work you can do with a lacrosse ball/lead pipe/foam roller. There are a ton of opinions on this stuff with varying degrees of scientific support. Find what works for you and go with it... and good luck on your half!

Iam Bre

Based off of what you guys are telling me it seems that the consensus is to increase my weekly mileage but not necessarily with one super long run but rather several more moderate runs and one long (10-11) mile run.

I am glad I asked questions or I could have injured myself after listening to one friend - she has been training much longer than I have and is planning to do one of those giant run Disney weekends where you do 46 miles in 3 days.... Whew! I'm not ready for that!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.  My knees are feeling much better this week than last week - so perhaps it was just the increase in mileage - however I have been using a massage stick for my legs and I stretched a little after each run.

I'm looking forward to my half in December and I'm thinking of signing up for one at the end of October!

Thanks,

Bre

Based off of what you guys are telling me it seems that the consensus is to increase my weekly mileage but not necessarily with one super long run but rather several more moderate runs and one long (10-11) mile run. 

PERFECT - and don't get too hung up over training plans.   Use them as guidelines but don't marry them.