Expectations during a 5k (Read 723 times)

Go Green Wave!

I have certain expectations during a 5k race that I feel my $25 fee covers, today I was let down, was I jipped? 1. No volunteers at any point during the race yelling out times 2. Water was nearly all gone by the time I finished (and I came in 13th, there was a 10k race before the 5k race) 3. The water was disgustingly warm 4. The water was disgusting 5. It was two hours after I ran that I finally received my award!
      Did you get a t-shirt for free? Maybe all the money went to that... Of course, then you would be able to keep your bad memories over your neck! Wink
        I don't think volunteers need to be yelling out times, when digital watches can be had for $5. I don't think I know anyone, runners or not, that don't have one. All of your other issues - I would feel the same as you. Hopefully, some of the $25 went to a charity?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go Green Wave!

I guess you're right about the watch, I don't have one Tongue but I have an excuse, I am using it as part of my effort to get my wife to buy me a garmin forerunner Smile Anyways, I got a tanktop which I hate, and they gave me a Large when I requested a medium and I preregistered VERY EARLY! And this race wasn't for charity (at least that I know of!)
            I have certain expectations during a 5k race that I feel my $25 fee covers, today I was let down, was I jipped? 1. No volunteers at any point during the race yelling out times 2. Water was nearly all gone by the time I finished (and I came in 13th, there was a 10k race before the 5k race) 3. The water was disgustingly warm 4. The water was disgusting 5. It was two hours after I ran that I finally received my award!
            I don't rely on volunteers yelling out times --- especially because, with big races, they are WAY off (because it takes so long to get to the starting line!) There SHOULD be water at the finish, though. Hey, you GOT an award, that's pretty sweet Wink Don't get me started on the shirt size thing ... it's a major peeve of mine: HOW DID YOU RUN OUT OF SMALLS? AGAIN?? DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MANY ORDERED SMALLS? AND IF SOMEONE DIDN'T ORDER A SMALL, THEY SHOULDN'T GET ONE! ohhhkay, I feel better Big grin
            2009: BQ?
            mikeymike

$25 seems a bit high for a 5K. But on the whole my expectations for a 5K are a lot less: 1. An accurate 5k course including mile markers. 2. An accurate finish time. Having helped organize a few races I can tell you the t-shirts generally need to be ordered way before registration closes--there's no way everone will get the size they want and your chance of getting your desired size has way more to do with how early you pick up your bib and t-shirt than how early you register.

Runners run

jcasetnl

Not sure where you live, but for anyone in the CA bayarea, Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders and Dolphin South End put on runs each sunday for around $5. They are low-key mostly fun runs. www.lmjs.org and www.dserunners.com The problem with a lof of runs is that if they are closed course, they require things like permits, police, traffic re-route plans etc. For me, the run itself is the thing - not the list of fifty sponsors, the afterparty with DJ, etc. However, some of more casual running friends more enjoy the whole spectacle side of it. Or, they want a crowd of a thousand that they can dissapear into. They don't want a small run because they're afraid of coming in last.